Cramped cockpit...

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am 6.2" tall.. very hard to get into the cockpit of the viper.. once in, it is very cramped... Sort of claustrophobic actually...

How do you tall guys handle it? is there a way to lower the seats?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'-3 and at this point, close to 300lbs...im not a wimp. i get in, i get out. simple

search seat lowering, jonB should have a kit and northwind makes it

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is normal getting in and out of a Viper if you have never done it before. Once it it does feel cramped but that is because all the gauges and mechanicals are all in close to you. I am now used to it and love the feeling of how part of the car i am.

Bruce

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along with the seat lowering kit, in case you don't know, the pedal position is adjustable. But, I agree that it is more cramped feeling compared to other smaller sports cars.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This has been an issue for us "bigger guys" from the inception of the Viper. When I worked at the dealer I often had requests from the sales department that if I could make the customer fit in the car they would buy it.

Lowering the seat will really help. Kits are available from site vendors. Second would be to modify the seat cushion to put you lower in the seat. Third is to move the seat rearward (tall guys), this requires some changes to the rear bulkhead. Removing the sun visors gives better visibiliy.

Hope this helps.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have friend how is over 7 foot tall. he put and aluminum race seat on the floor and put a second steering wheel hub to move the steering wheel out to give him knee clearance for shifting.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a one inch lowering kit for Gen 3's? I had one for my Gen 1 and it was great because I could still move the seat. I have not seen anything similar for the Gen 3--maybe I just missed it?

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my neighbor on a cruise yesterday and we had this conversation. As I told him, it may be a b$%tch to get in it but the reward is well worth the effort. :)

01rt10outlaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6 3 and have my seat lowered 2 inches, a little cramped with the top on but way more comfortable *******, my left leg does rest on speaker on door though.

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am 6'2 and i had a problem with my knee hitting the headlight switch and turning them off while driving. you are definately somewhat cramped but it does ride comfortable. i took it on a 7 hour drive both ways without my back complaining

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lowered my sit 2" and settled on 1". I didn't buy the overly expensive seat lowering kits. I made my own 2" and I modified the stock brackets for a 1" drop. I think we have DIY's on this in the illustrated's section. I also elongated the bolt holes in the brackets so that I could push the seat back about another 1/2" which allows my knee to clear the bolster while retaining full recline.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend who is 6'4 1/2" pushing 400. He made me feel bad when I bought my car... He took it personally...:dunno:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the 2" lowering kit on the passenger side and 1" on driver side.

Even though I'm 7 ft 2 and weigh close to 600 lbs, those kits made a huge difference.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To make a huge difference in the open feeling of the cockpit, simply remove the sun visors. They are pretty useless as when lowered you cannot see out of the windshield at all.

If you change your mind, it only takes a minute to put them back in.

Fangs10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the 2" lowering kit on the passenger side and 1" on driver side.

Even though I'm 7 ft 2 and weigh close to 600 lbs, those kits made a huge difference.

:omg:

You put 2 300lb guys in the viper they would look like those two fat guy's on minibikes.

You must be registered for see images

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6.2" tall.. very hard to get into the cockpit of the viper.. once in, it is very cramped... Sort of claustrophobic actually...

How do you tall guys handle it? is there a way to lower the seats?

Come on E_tar **** it up ya n00bie.......I'm 6'2"nd 250 lbs. and I fit into my 2000 RT just fine even with a helmet and full driving suit on :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4