Crank Pin Size?

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should of thought of this prior to pulling my timing chain cover and ordered a kit along with Roe hoses. I believe I have access to a Roe Pin Kit, less roll pins. Ryan I'll be calling you shortly :) That being said would anyone know what size pins are required.

The timing chain cover removal is going and I'm reminded as to why the going mechanic labor rate is where it's at. It never fails one busted knuckle and a Romo pinky later and I'm almost done. Hopefully I will only have 1 or 2 spare bolts when I'm finished :)

Chris

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Mainly I need to know the size of the pins length and diamter, I should have access to the guide and plenty of drill bits. I would imagine the pins are standard spring pins? This is a last minute thing and I need to run to fastenal to get pins so that I can get my car back together. I would prefer not to wing it when driving a pin into the crank. Thanks for the info on the drill bit.

Thanks,

Chris

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, THAT kind of "crank pin". I was misled by the title and thought I would stop in to see what Juli had to say on this subject.:lmao:

In seriousness, what pin is this and what does it do?? I am confused?

Robert

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, THAT kind of "crank pin". I was misled by the title and thought I would stop in to see what Juli had to say on this subject.:lmao:

In seriousness, what pin is this and what does it do?? I am confused?

Robert

The crank damper is not keyed on the Viper V-10. Guys with superchargers drill a couple of holes longitudinally through the damper into the front of the crank and drive hardened steel roll-pins into the holes to keep the additional load on the crank pulley from spinning the damper off the crank.

Then you have people like me who had their damper spin off the crank without a supercharger, so I pinned the new damper on so I'd never have to deal with that again.

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a good picture of a pinned crank somewhere on the boards, I found it last night during my numerous searches. That and searching for crank seal install. I guess I will get the pan back on and hold off on the pins until I get that info. I would imagine that if the bit is 1/4 in the pin is a 1/4 and probably around 1 to 1.5 inches long.

Thanks,

Chris

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are not keyed on!:omg: That was not a great design!

Thanks guys. I am following now and I may just check mine to be sure I don't do a Kelly!

Thanks!

Robert

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the bit that came with the kit and it worked like a champ.

...Must be the steel to be drilled is not that hard. A standard bit in hardened steel would be getting dull before it finished it's job. Seeing as you're kind of bent over like a rat eating cheese...... I went with the better bit which will keep it's edge much longer.

There is a good picture of a pinned crank somewhere on the boards, I found it last night during my numerous searches. That and searching for crank seal install. I guess I will get the pan back on and hold off on the pins until I get that info. I would imagine that if the bit is 1/4 in the pin is a 1/4 and probably around 1 to 1.5 inches long.

Thanks,

Chris

The crank pulley does not need to come as the instructions indicate. It's hard enough to work in there. Might as well save some effort. Just reverse the jig

Steve

813IMG_1076.JPG

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve

Your pics are those that I was referring to. In looking at the balancer the pins would need to be at least 1.5 in long just to go through it. Now that I have the pan and filter mount back on I'm trying to decide if I want to install the remainder of the parts then pin at a later date. Hopefully I'll have no leaks on the installed parts.

Chris

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve

Your pics are those that I was referring to. In looking at the balancer the pins would need to be at least 1.5 in long just to go through it. Now that I have the pan and filter mount back on I'm trying to decide if I want to install the remainder of the parts then pin at a later date. Hopefully I'll have no leaks on the installed parts.

Chris

There are 4 small 'seam' type areas on the pan which need to be siliconed -- no gasket material there. I don't remember the exact length of the pins. That was a while ago. They are 1/4" roll pins. Be very careful with the crank seal installation so you don't knick it. You'll likely need a 250 pound TQ wrench if you do the pinning.

Good luck.

Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_