DCP Stage 3 Gen4 Viper Coupe **(Video)**

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Congratulations to Sean Casey (VCA Member) for being the FIRST to step up to our DC Performance STAGE 3 Gen 4 Viper performance package!

Here are the results and enjoy our video!

Contact Dan Cragin or Lyle Larson for Gen4 Viper Upgrades today! :drive:

[media]http://vimeo.com/14806032[/media]

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

No sound here either.

Dan

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They used music and youtube stripped the sound. Probably couldn't have heard the car for the music anyway. Good power. Wish we could hear the car.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are great numbers for DC's conservative dyno..stockers usually put out 510-520 on your dyno at DC right???

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 made 595rwhp & 565rwtq with Belangers, Exhaust and Mopar PCM on 91 octane. How much more do you think I would gain with the manifold and heads?

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound is working now!!! Amazing numbers, music, and of course the sound:)

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan can the gen4 heads also be milled to bump up the compression? Thanks..

Lee

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
like I said Dc's dyno is conservative..were other dynos may have stock gen4 vipers at 530-560 rwhp..DC;s is more like 500-525 rwhp..If memory serves correctly..

600 rwhp on their dyno is A LOT..almost 100 rwhp over stock

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. Could you post the dyno separately. It is too small to read in the video. Thanks.

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
like I said Dc's dyno is conservative..were other dynos may have stock gen4 vipers at 530-560 rwhp..DC;s is more like 500-525 rwhp..If memory serves correctly..

600 rwhp on their dyno is A LOT..almost 100 rwhp over stock

It be good to hear what DC has to say. That's 6% difference.

I would expect DC dyno jet to be well calibrated and close to the mean, neither higher nor lower.... Unless the other shops, you are refering too in your comparison are inflating there numbers. We should not be taking those shops into account.

The dyna pak is generally more conservative than the dyno jet.

Last edited:

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Dan, I am going all the way! Getting your heads and intake with ACRX headers Mopar k&ns. I want as much power as you can get out of the heads and intake!!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Did you guys see the computer pulling any timing?....noticed you were using some race fuel and Torco accelerator.

Nice job, near NASCAR levels of power from a street car!!

Cheers,
George

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for this. A few questions:

1. The first three runs use Torco Acclerator fuel additive which, if mixed with 91 octane fuel, provides about 102 octane. The fourth run was with a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 octane pump gas with the Torco accelerator which would probably end up providing providing about 106 or so octane.

2. Can the car be run on 91 or 93 octane pump gas alone?

3. If the car can be run on 91 octane or 93 octane pump gas alone, what power is it puting out on same?

4. If it cannot be run on 91 0r 93 octane pump gas alone, why not?

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for all the questions. Lets see if I can answer them.

1. Yes our Dynojet Dyno is conservative. We have it properly set up for our altitude and shop environment. We feel that our numbers are accurate and represent the proper output of the vehicle. Other dynos my read much higher, but the percentage of power gain from our modifications is usually the same, no matter what you test on.

2. No we do not raise the compression, but we do make sure all the combustion chamber volumes are the same. This could result in an overall compression that may be a little higher. We found that each cylinder can range from 10.2 to 10.4 depending on the individual combustion chamber volume.

3. In regards to octane. This car was run with the Mopar engine controller, which requires 93-octane fuel for best performance. From my calculations a tank of fuel with one can of additive should raise the octane 2-4 points or 93-96 octane. Our final tests were done with higher octane just to see what difference it would make.

We have found these new engines are knock sensitive. It seems that almost every engine we have tested has some knock retard. We know that oil pull through from the PCV system is a factor, oil getting into the intake tract lowers octane and increases knock. We have developed an oil tank that helps this condition while still keeping the PCV system functional for emissions testing. The ACRX has deleted the PCV system to address this issue.

Our cylinder head modifications were designed to work with the stock engine controller and 91-octane fuel. On engines using the Mopar controller we suggest using 93 octane or better if you track the car. Knock control kicks in at higher rpms under load, so if your car has knock most likely it will feel strong until your run it hard into the upper rpm range. Our big concern is for folks running the Mopar controller on the track full out with 91 octane fuel and no PCV oil canister, this could lead to excessive knock and piston damage.

I hope these explanations help. Again, as I have stated before, the engine management system on this car is very sensitive and we must work with the production and Mopar calibrations. Our engine modifications produce modest gains within the calibration parameters provided.

We are currently testing several other power adders that will work with our heads as well as complete turn key engine build packages.

I am very excited about seeing more end user results for our Gen 4 performance packages expressed on this forum!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying and like I said 600 plus on your dyno is a LOT...That is an awesome package you have put together...
Im not knocking anyone else dynos as to what is better or worse ect. Simply stateing that it is rare to see a 2008 viper or ZR1 hit over 525 rwhp in stock form on your dyno...

that is a heck of an power increase in the low 600's...

Did you guys ever offer a stage 1 port for the gen3 viper heads..any rwhp gain numbers ect?

Thanks

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

2. No we do not raise the compression, but we do make sure all the combustion chamber volumes are the same. This could result in an overall compression that may be a little higher. We found that each cylinder can range from 10.2 to 10.4 depending on the individual combustion chamber volume.

But can you raise the compression?
Also, I am a little confused by your explanation. If you cc the chambers and there is a range, to match them don't you have to raise them all to the highest volume-- thus lowering the compression, not raising it?

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
to match them don't you have to raise them all to the highest volume-- thus lowering the compression, not raising it?

That's correct. Dan indicated the "blueprinting" didn't result in a material change in the overall compression from stock. I don't know why, but my ignition is getting ********, so I currently couldn't use any higher compression. Also heeding SRT's recommendations, the stock pistons would be a concern. I'm looking forward to the day the PCM is cracked, or someone develops a piggyback controller.

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes you can raise the compression by machining the head. We did not raise the CR because of potential detonation problems. With the VVT cylinder pressure is very high before at low to mid rpm, so you need to be careful with this.

When we CC the chambers we mill the head to bring the volume back to where it should be. The final result will be the same or possibly a touch less volume as we use an average of all the stock combustion chambers for our final blueprinted number.

Hope this helps, we are looking forward to more results as we schedule more cars.

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan, my viper will be up there Monday afternoon or Tuesday. Lyle told me Friday the heads should be there by then. Looking to up Casey a little, say 610 hp or better. I spoke to Lou Belanger last week and may have him ship you a cat delete set up too. Dan E (ViperX) told me no cats and the corsa muffler gave him another 20 trq. Can't wait to get it back and run it at Spring Mountain in October. Mike

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did raise the CR because of potential detonation problems.

I understand what you said about milling the head to get CR back up after matching the chamber volumes.

But the above quote confuses me further. Wouldn't raising the CR cause detonation, not be a cure??

Sorry to sound ignorant, and I used to think I understood engines a little. But, as a respected authority, you are making me second-guess myself.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the chambers vary from 10.2-10.4 comp where is the error attributed too?

Sounds like dodge doesn't do a very accurate machining on the inside of thr chamber for volume. Milling the head flat should be fairly easy for a decent machine shop.

If the above assumptions are true, isn't the head difficult to to correct? Do all 10 chambers get re machined and the head made flat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang