Dead Battery

hlieber50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It vehicle storage time in the non-warm part of the country. My doctor use to complain that almost every time he got into his Viper the battery was dead. That was after 1 or 2 weeks of not driving it. I have heard that from other owners and when I got my 2005 convertible I realized the problem. When you set the alarm a red light inside at the top of the windshield would flash continuously as a warning that the alarm was on. Well, that light gets it's power from the card battery. SURPRISE the battery drains. During the pandemic shutdown many vehicles in my condo's garage suffered the same fate. Unless you store your Viper off-site during the good driving weather Don't Set the Alarm. Long storage use a battery tender so you can set the alarm. I'm sure most of you already know this but I just needed to write it down out of frustration in my condo's garage.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You can help yourself in a couple of ways besides using a battery tender (float charger). Use "sleep mode" ("hibernation mode") to decrease battery drain as outlined in your owners manual. Also, invest in a quality group 34 AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery...which generally claim to last 2-3 times longer than a standard flooded lead acid battery.

Ken Silverman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the above.... I keep my Gen V on an automatic float charger during the colder months (interesting that I don't have a problem when it's warm). I always keep it on Hibernate when it's in the garage. After 7 years, I replaced the battery with a Genuine Mopar - if the original lasted 7 years, the genuine should be as good. Note that the original has had about 3 part number changes, but your local Dodge dealer should be able to figure it out.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ken, while I cannot speak specifically to your recent battery purchase, I can tell you that my local dealer gets their "MOPAR" batteries from a couple of different battery wholesalers. These wholesalers place MOPAR stickers on said batteries and the Parts Dept. sells them as the replacement batteries.

Thus, one can not assume anything about the performance of said battery...just hope it is s decent brand.

I first became aware of this while helping a friend's widow. The battery on this 08 ACR was installed at the dealership by a Viper Tech almost (but not quite) 3 years to the date that it went dead. All of the paper work LOOKED like a free replacement would be in order. It was then discovered that this "MOPAR" battery had been supplied by a wholesaler with the MOPAR sticker in place...which happened to say "72 month battery"...but only carried an EIGHTEEN MONTH replacement warranty.

Best of luck to you.