Dealing with insurance comprehensive question (new info) sorry so long :(

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry this is long. So this is a follow-up to a thread I posted a few weeks ago and sorry I left out a lot of details but since the police/insurance were involved I just felt like it was best to not divulge details at that time. You may remember I said that someone vandalized my car, and several people said that the damage wasn't that but that is b/c I purposely left out details for the reason I just stated. Now that everything is "over" in terms of the police/insurance, etc. I can let you guys know and ask for help.

Here is what happened: A few weeks ago I went out for a drive since it was a warm night and those are rare this time of year. Some dip$hit in a riced out car came up blowing his horn and reving his engine, doing the ricer fly bys, etc. I just simply ignored him. After this apparently pissed him off he proceeded to throw objects out the window at my car, it sounded like freaking gun fire going off. At first I didn't know what it was, or that it was him, until I SAW him do it the second time and run off like a ***** flooring his car. After being stunned for a few seconds that this type of thing actually just happened, I very easily caught up to his POS ricer'mobile to get his plate number and call the police. As I approached low and behold I see a police officer on the side of the road, what luck I thought! So I made a split second decision to pull in real fast and let the officer know what just happened. Big mistake, I respect police officers and what they do, but this guy could give 2 $hits about what this piece of trash just did and after an hour or more dealing with him and all the other cops that pulled up while he held me there, basically said "nothing I can do about it cause I didn't see it". So with that revelation I just proceeded on my way really saddened at what the youth of our country seems to be turning into and how apathetic my local police seem to be.

Anyway before posting on here I had already called my insurance company b/c the police told me that is what I needed to do (I have never had something like this happen before). The damage wasn't bad just a few chips in the paint on the hood/door/sill but it was really upsetting the way it happened. I called my insurance company b/c they are a good company and I've been with them a long time and never filed anything so I just wanted to see what my rights/options were, if anything at all :dunno:. I have a great local agent and after talking with her she convinced me to at least talk to an adjuster. She stated vigorously that comprehensive will cover this, I will not have a black mark on my record with them, and in no way will my rates go up (by law at least here it is even illegal for them to do on a comp claim). So I thought, ok, what the hell, she recommended it, so I made an appointment.

Here is where I am at, I haven't done anything except show the adjuster the chips, and the adjuster told me it is up to me, they will just cut me a check and I can do what I want. I was afraid (and explained that before I agreed to see the adjuster) that I would be looked at as nit-picking "normal" wear and tear, but the adjuster looked at the damage and said that I was not nitpicking b/c even though it is small, or nothing to most people on a DD (can be touched up with Dr. colorchip, etc.), he was a car guy too and knew in order to make it "perfect" again so you could NEVER tell anything was touched up, the door/hood/sill would need to be painted. So I thought, cool maybe this will turn out to be ok, b/c the adjuster specialized in special cars and seemed to understand the nature of this not being a ford ****** etc. I again reiterated my concern about my rates going up or having a black mark on my record with them and he again stressed that nothing of the sort would/could happen. The issue I have, is IF I am actually going to go forward and get them to write me a check I think it should be enough to warrant doing it, and here is where my questions come.

The adjuster came back after looking at the chips and gave me an estimate for 1800.00-my deductible. Maybe this is b/c he was just using a "general system", or maybe b/c I told him that I agreed I should just touch it up, not sure. That seems very low to me when you consider how much work it is for a quality shop just to prep and paint the composite material our cars are made of, but I just said thank you and would think about if I wanted to go forward. He recommended a body shop that specialize in high-end cars so I drove it over there right away and they laughed at that number and said they wouldn't touch it for that. Another shop that is low priced and not the greatest quality came in at 1200 over that (3000) but said they really didn't want to work on a car like this for some reason. Both shops said Vipers panels are extremely hard to paint and not have them bubble or whatever so neither want to do them. Also I think painting the car vs. just touching up the chips is unwise anyway b/c my original paint is gorgeous. I explained that to the adjuster how I was leaning to just touching them up regardless of what he came back with and he said that was fine but that they still owned me the money period b/c that is what I have paid them for all these years, I was pleasantly surprised he said that actually.

Guess what I want to know is:

A) should I just walk away, and touch up the car b/c that is what I'm going to do anyway?
B) Should I take the low offer since it doesn't negatively affect me with my company or rates, and something is better then nothing?
C) Tell them they are crazy and demand they pay a more reasonable amount after talking to several body shops that think their number is hilarious regardless of what I actually end up doing b/c as the adjuster said it is their responsibility to pay for this since it was in fact a comprehensive claim that is rightly covered?

Please keep in mind I told the adjuster that just touching up the car was a real possibily and he agreed he would even do that but that I deserved the money regardless, so I hope no one thinks I'm trying to get over on my insurance company. My agent and adjuster are the ones that talked me into coming over to let them look at it, I simply called to see what the process was and b/c I told the police I would do so.

I know a lot of you in the first post just said to just touch it up and go on b/c you thought it was something different then it was but I'm wondering if you still feel that way knowing all the facts now and what my insurance adjuster said??? The only thing I'm worried about is what shows up on car fax? It would probably hurt the value more to have a "claim" filed on a carfax especially for something that doesn't amount to much more then a couple rock chips to most people, but since I KNOW how it was put there I feel that I do have a right (and my insurance company agrees) to make a claim, but since this might be the only claim I make for a long time or even ever, I want to do it right and 1800 will not get those panels painted by a good quality shop IMO based on the ones I've talked to. I'm sorry this was so long but I wanted to be detailed, thanks for any help/guidance.

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the chips are that small and you actually drive your car then just go to a professional touch up person. They are very good at what they do. And next time just catch up with the punk and blow his tires out with a nice 9mm or maybe a .45!!!

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you filed a police report regardless of whether or not the PD saw the twerp. I would have insisted on that. The cops don't see accidents [most times] but they file reports, know what I mean? I think this **** just didn't want to do the paper work -- which is typical. Get a complaint on record with a tag number. It will pay off later, if not for you, for someone else that's attacked by this little ricer *****.

If a shop is really good they can touch up small chips and nicks and make it look really damned good. I'd go after the insurance big time and then touch them up. I know you know they're there but if the shop is any good nobody else will. And that's the problem, you'll always know even if they repaint the entire car. You'll just have to get over that.

I'd get written estimates from 2 or 3 shops whether or not they want to do the work [ explain the situation ] and force the insurance company to pay up for a proper fix. All states have laws that regulate this part of the claim.

Yep, I'd take the cash, as much as I can get and run like hell. I have no sympathy for insurance companies since getting permission from a state to write auto insurance is like a license to print money for them.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick replies!

bmw2envy, I am definately going to touch them up, this is more, "should I" take the money or just forget it based on what my company has told me?

fqberful, no I didn't get a report, I asked multiple times and they were so insistent that it was a waste of everyone's time I just gave up, it was really pathetic honestly. And I feel the same way as you, I've paid 10's of thousands in insurance over my life and have never had 1 claim, seems like they wouldn't lowball a customer like that but I don't have anything to compare this too :dunno:

I realize the damage is small, and if it was a DD I wouldn't care. What burns me about this is how much time and effort I put into caring for it and never parking it so the dreaded V word won't happen. So when this happened I was just like ***, even if you are present it can happen, and it seems like insurance would be a way to turn it into at least something of a positive, instead of "ok I'll take it up the a$$ cause nothing I can do.

And please, before someone posts that they would have taken matters into their own hands, kind of a vigilanty justice, that is just not wise IMO. Only time that is plausible is if your life is in danger, not over property and in the end you will lose in our court system and that is why I TRIED to use the police department, which sadly didn't get me anywhere either.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont take the money. insurance is for when you really need it. my luck, later on when i need to use it, they will hassle me

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too would skip on the money. My luck one small $1800 claim would get me dropped or like Plum said if something big happened down the road and you have say a $20k claim you wont have the "never filed a claim" statement in your favor and its very likely you will be at war with insurance trying to get them to do the right thing. PS Insurance companies ****!!!

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that was the other side of the coin for my thinking as well. However, I have inquired multiple times to 4 different people in the company working on this case and they said that, that fear of what you guys are talking about is a non-issue until I had multiple claims in a year or something like that, and comprehensive will not ever be considered b/c it is not my fault at all. With that said, I guess there is the possibility that they could just lump me in with other people and choose to not continue my business, however that seems odd since I'm a great customer and have always paid. On a side note, if I pay for vand. insurance, doesn't it seem weird to not use in when something like this happens? I mean what if I can get them to come up in the estimate, would that change your mind at all? I do see your point, I guess what changed my mind was how my company approached me, basically saying that is why I have been paying and that they absolutely think it is justified, guess they could be lying some :dunno: I also have never made a claim in my life, so while it is true that another one may be right around the corner, it seems unlikely, curious to see if others feel like you guys or like fqberful does...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No real problem here. Just sounds like you are trying to work the system to get some cash for repair work you are not planning to do.

You are not all that unusual. Many people look at having something bad happen to them is a real opportunity to score some cash. Years ago this was not so, and people took more personal responsibility for bad things that happened to them, rather than saying the insurance company "owes it to them".

Think this is more of a moral issue than a legal one, so what ever makes you feel best looking in the mirror is what you should do.

The more people you tell about this, the more people that are going to be upset that they were not lucky enought to have this happen to them so they could cash out.

No judgement here, but only you can look inside yourself and determine what is the right thing to do.

No matter what happens, you still have a sweet Viper to drive.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is more a matter of principal than money. You have paid insurance for years with no claims now you have a small legitimate comprehensive claim and you feel like its their turn to do what they agred to in the insurance poilicy you hold. And I agree with you 100% and would feel the same way but unfortunately you are dealing with an insurance company and they dont play by the same rules they we do. You mwill probably be just fine making a claim this time and you probably want have another one for years to come. I just know I have delt with insurance before and I dont trust the dirty ********. Just my .02

BTW If you are going to get it repaired you should get 3 estimates and make them accept the middle one. Its a pretty common practice I believe. Best of luck with the jerks LOL

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the estimates, get the insurance company to pay what they're supposed to pay...minimum of $1,800. Fix it however you want to...that's how it works...don't feel bad about it...THAT'S HOW IT WORKS!

My gut feeling is that you might not be happy with the 'just touch up the chips' in the long run and will want to re-paint the affected panels...take what the insurance company is supposed to pay and you will have the money to do the re-paint. Believe me...THIS IS HOW IT WORKS...you aren't screwing anybody. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE INSURANCE.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their advice, I really appreciate it, I want to respond individual to everyone:

if $1800 would change my life, id consider it, if not....not worth it

Plum, 1800 won't change anything, it is more a matter of principal I guess, for me the money doesn't really enter into it except that is the only way my company can "make anything better" so to speak, so I'm thinking something is better then nothing maybe?

No real problem here. Just sounds like you are trying to work the system to get some cash for repair work you are not planning to do.

You are not all that unusual. Many people look at having something bad happen to them is a real opportunity to score some cash. Years ago this was not so, and people took more personal responsibility for bad things that happened to them, rather than saying the insurance company "owes it to them".

Think this is more of a moral issue than a legal one, so what ever makes you feel best looking in the mirror is what you should do.

The more people you tell about this, the more people that are going to be upset that they were not lucky enought to have this happen to them so they could cash out.

No judgement here, but only you can look inside yourself and determine what is the right thing to do.

No matter what happens, you still have a sweet Viper to drive.

I agree with you except the moral issue thing, and using it as an opportunity to score some fast cash, which I'm not. I absolutely was planning on fixing everything the way the adjuster told me up until:
1) He said he thought the value would be more damaged repainting that much of the vehicle for how tiny the damage was
2) He gave me an offer that is way below what any quality shop I could trust would do it for and turn out looking factory based on the 2 shops I've spoke with

Initially I was feeling that "moral issue" way when the adjuster said if he was me, he would not fix it so I flat out told him that based on what he said, I probably wouldn't so it didn't seem right for him to go any further and make me an offer. He responded with that they did owe me compensation regardless b/c that is why I paid them all these years, and this was an act of vand. ,so after speaking with him for a while, he convinced me that it was 100% legit. This is more just the principal that if I don't go through with the claim, then I have to just deal with the fact this happened and walk away with nothing but the memory of having a POS maliciously damage my vehicle and that seems hard to swallow. And if I do go through with the claim, there is the risk that others have said and for 1800 I don't think it is worth it, but for 1500 more, maybe b/c then I at least could get it fixed if I decide to :dunno:

I think this is more a matter of principal than money. You have paid insurance for years with no claims now you have a small legitimate comprehensive claim and you feel like its their turn to do what they agred to in the insurance poilicy you hold. And I agree with you 100% and would feel the same way but unfortunately you are dealing with an insurance company and they dont play by the same rules they we do. You mwill probably be just fine making a claim this time and you probably want have another one for years to come. I just know I have delt with insurance before and I dont trust the dirty ********. Just my .02

BTW If you are going to get it repaired you should get 3 estimates and make them accept the middle one. Its a pretty common practice I believe. Best of luck with the jerks LOL

Yes, agree 100%, it is the principal like I stated above, you get exactly how I am feeling. But I realize what you are saying about the Insurance company could be correct regardless of what they have been saying to my face. Thanks for the advice on the 3 shops, that is exactly what I was going to do if I decide to see if they will raise the offer.

Get the estimates, get the insurance company to pay what they're supposed to pay...minimum of $1,800. Fix it however you want to...that's how it works...don't feel bad about it...THAT'S HOW IT WORKS!

My gut feeling is that you might not be happy with the 'just touch up the chips' in the long run and will want to re-paint the affected panels...take what the insurance company is supposed to pay and you will have the money to do the re-paint. Believe me...THIS IS HOW IT WORKS...you aren't screwing anybody. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE INSURANCE.

Thanks for this reply, I feel the same way, but still weighing what others have said about is it really worth it, b/c if it does cause them to look at me different, it certainly isn't worth the little bit of money based on if I did need them for something bigger down the road. Guess why I'm thinking it would be ok is b/c what they have told me about not having a black mark with them at all, but again they could be lying :dunno:

so did you get his plates? wow only in america

Yes I did, gave them to the police who ran it and told me that based on his record they believe my account but still can't do anything, *** :dunno:

Who is your insurance co.?

KYFB, and a great local agent. Honestly the only time I have felt "let down" at all was when the guy came back with the offer after inspecting my car, b/c he even said he was a car guy and seemed really sympathetic b/c he was wondering how he would have felt if it was him and his show car camaro. We even talked about one of the lower offers I got before coming out to have him inspect the car, it was 3K and he even said "I'll be really close I'm sure" then comes back with 1800 :rolleyes:

Again, thanks to all you guys, maybe I should just eat this and move on which is what I was planning on until my local agent said I absolutely needed to see the adjuster, who then said it was absolutely something they needed to cover, sheesh I don't know.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets