Diagnostic Codes redux

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week I had what I thought was a fuse problem on my 2004 but all fuses checked out.

Now when I insert the key and turn it to the on position I get a blinking MIL for about 11 seconds then a solid MIL. The service manual says this means all once-per-trip readiness monitors have not completed. So I'm looking for any fault codes.

Since I don't have a code reader yet, I do the 3 on/off cycle to get the codes from the display. While I'm doing this I hear 5 beeps followed by a pause followed by 1 beep, then a blinking MIL for 11 seconds, and then it immediately displays "done" on the odometer gauge - no codes. I start the car and the MIL goes off.

Any thoughts? Why the 11 second blinking MIL and no diagnostic codes? Do I need to reset something since I was pulling & testing fuses?

Also, I thought the diagnostic codes would be in the 2004 service manual but I don't see them, even if I could pull some codes. Of course, the index wasn't designed the way I'd design it so I could be missing something.

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot a PM to Black Mamba 47. He's offered to help me out on another electrical issue I had (which I fixed myself since I had the car torn apart anyway) He's up in Redmond and, as a Snap On dealer, just might have a code reader.:dunno:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Readiness is something accomplish over time and miles driven... you don't get codes from not be readied.

In fact if you are pulling fuses, you are reseting the memory and actually clearing readiness. Every time you disconnect power from the PCM you lose the CARB monitor data and readiness is lost. You then need to drive a good period of time with a period of very steady (keep throttle still) highway travel in sixth gear.

Returning from enough trips you will achieve readiness for a shed test or whatever. If you have modified the car, it's possible it will never achieve readiness though... But should after the samer period of driving get an engine code. Keep in mind some codes take multiple trips (without the computer being reset) to set the MIL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960