Diamondback/Autoform Viper Update

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have received quite a few inquiries about how my Viper is doing, I thought to share some pictures of the damage and rebuilding process.

Initially the damage did not look too bad, facia a bit messed up, looks like a boxer after a bad beating

3114DSCN3914-med.JPG

Hood was torn off the hinges and had about 800 small cracks:

3114DSCN3884-med.JPG

Torn hood:

3114DSCN3901-med.JPG

Dead snake is removed from the Viperpit:

3114DSCN39601-med.JPG

The passanger side upper L-frame was bent, this is the frame section where the bumper and swaybar mounts:

3114DSCN4083-med.JPG

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what you can do with the old crap nobody wants.
Cut it and mount it on the garage wall. I did the same with the front facia.

3114DSCN4060-med.JPG

3114DSCN4057-med.JPG

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This shows how the upper frame was bent:

3114DSCN4089-med.JPG

I was lucky, the lower frame was not badly damaged, it was off 5mm (tolerance was 2mm), Dan took care of the correction and now it is back into factory tolerances.
\
3114DSCN4090-med.JPG

Passanger frame rail is supposed to touch this measuring pin, this is how much it was off! Dan ordered a replacement from Paul Sharf, as well as the inner fender, sway bar, head lights etc.

3114laurie4_004-med.jpg

Who saw the movie with Jean Claude Van Damme tied into a tree when he got a "leg stretch"... This must hurt!

3114laurie2_018-med.jpg

This is the passanger side frame after cutting it out and welding a new one in place. Painted and measured.

3114laurie4_013.jpg

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Dan Cole's place (DansAuto) is in Gillet, PA and about 220 miles north of Lancaster, if the weather allows I'll take the wagon out for a cruise to deliver parts for Dan and see the progress. Its a great time to smoke cigar or two and enjoy the ride!

3114DSCN4110-med.JPG

Autoform delivered a LARGE wooden box (I'm pretty sure Dan can heat the garage for a week with all that wood :D ) full of Autoform parts. Le Mans Facia, Roof Scoop, Vented cowl, etc.

3114DSCN4120-med.JPG

3114DSCN4119-med.JPG

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasty snake lurking around corner:

3114DSCN4151-med.JPG

Massive Autoform front with USExotics Diamond back hood:

3114DSCN4138-med.JPG

Dan's Garage, By the way, what they say about YELLOW Vipers is true, they are fast. Dan's GEN 1 Twin Turbo:

3114DSCN4154-med.JPG

One more month.... I can hardly wait to get this one painted and striped!!!

3114DSCN4173-med.JPG

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe i should not respond based on "Dan's" last post to my comments on your previous post....but..I must ask...will your viper ever "not be under construction?" When do you get to enjoy the car????????????

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that hood has some awesome lines to it. is the center of the hood arched more in the center to accomodate a supercharger or TT addition?

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe i should not respond based on "Dan's" last post to my comments on your previous post....but..I must ask...will your viper ever "not be under construction?" When do you get to enjoy the car????????????

Ah, dont worry about Dan. He's a nice guy. :2tu:

Its been under construction only 3 months now, if everything goes well, I should have it in my garage in 4 weeks.
After that I need to install 6 point Schroth's, stereo, speakers, Supercharger, Vec2 and 4 gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, NX pressure and A/F).
I still need my new Forgeline wheels from JonB and chromed Supercharger from Venomblue550. I'm sure they are soon here! :headbang:

The Diamond back hood has a 2" "****" in the middle, but it's same height in the back as original. The fenders have been raised 2". Yes, Roger wanted a hood with more lines and ventilation, based on the meetings he had with Heffner. I dont think extra clearance was an issue, but Roger may correct me...

Not bad for an old GEN 1... :bonker:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
God Bless and good luck with everything...are you ever in CT? I Would love to meet up with you and [******]... :headbang:

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
God Bless and good luck with everything...are you ever in CT? I Would love to meet up with you and [******]... :headbang:

I run frequently with NY snakes. Usually at LI or Chuck's place!

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool....Chuck is my boy..his place in South Salem is about 15 mintues from my House I consider myself beyond lucky........ :headbang:

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im confused...i see a RT/10 from the back...but i see no seam for the hardtop in the front view shots and looks like a GTS to me in all of them.

Anyways, hole thing is coming out awsome! I love the Le Mans front bumper, my only gripe is those damn fog lights. And that hood is absolutely amazing!!

SnakeCharmer99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anybody have the web site where to buy that hood? Did a search and having trouble finding info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks the MUTS NUTS :shocked: !!!!!!!!!!
Mean as hell...
Keep the pics coming

Hope your at TATORS BBQ next year.....

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Lauri,

are you in need of new OEM suspension parts? Give me a call i will run thru what i have available.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is going to be a wild Viper. It's starting to look really mean and I can't wait to see the final completed pics.

Jeff

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is going to be a wild Viper. It's starting to look really mean and I can't wait to see the final completed pics.
Jeff
Hi Jeff, and it will have your polished aluminum door cups in it!!

Im confused...i see a RT/10 from the back...but i see no seam for the hardtop in the front view shots and looks like a GTS to me in all of them.
Anyways, hole thing is coming out awsome! I love the Le Mans front bumper, my only gripe is those damn fog lights. And that hood is absolutely amazing!!
Excellent, the lines are confusing even Viper owners! :D Actually it IS A RT/10, but the removable Autoform top with pillars and scoop gives that GTS look. One of the reasons why I always liked the top. I have a RT/10 AND a GTS!!! :2tu:

Hey Lauri,
are you in need of new OEM suspension parts? Give me a call i will run thru what i have available.
Hi Frank! I was lucky, only the swaybar had to be replaced, all suspension components were not damaged and car was drivable, except that the fender was pushed into the tire. I did follow your recommendation on Schroth belts and I'm looking forward staring the GT tailslights again! :curse:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lauri, i want a ride one day in that car. it looks great. i cant wait to see it painted and running.

way to go

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent, the lines are confusing even Viper owners! :D Actually it IS A RT/10, but the removable Autoform top with pillars and scoop gives that GTS look. One of the reasons why I always liked the top. I have a RT/10 AND a GTS!!! :2tu:
Thanks for the reply. I went to your gallery to see if you had any pictures of it and sure enough they were there! That top does look great on the car. One thing iv never liked about the Gen1's is the side exhaust sill. Has anyone attempted to try to smooth out the ridges on them? I just cant seem to understand why they decided to put them there, would look tons better without!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah, dont worry about Dan. He's a nice guy. :2tu:

Its been under construction only 3 months now, if everything goes well, I should have it in my garage in 4 weeks.
After that I need to install 6 point Schroth's, stereo, speakers, Supercharger, Vec2 and 4 gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, NX pressure and A/F).
I still need my new Forgeline wheels from JonB and chromed Supercharger from Venomblue550. I'm sure they are soon here! :headbang:

The Diamond back hood has a 2" "****" in the middle, but it's same height in the back as original. The fenders have been raised 2". Yes, Roger wanted a hood with more lines and ventilation, based on the meetings he had with Heffner. I dont think extra clearance was an issue, but Roger may correct me...

Not bad for an old GEN 1... :bonker:

Car would have been done a month ago, if we just fixed the damage, but we are adding lots of extras and we continue to wait on parts or have to figure out ways to make the aftermarket stuff work. This car is going to be one of a kind!!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Lauri, that car looks badass even with no paint and primer! Here's to all of us who buck the trends and make our cars our own and don't worry about keeping them stock.
You must be registered for see images attach

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks nice Lauri, I am jealous of the front facia as that would be something I would upgrade on mine if I ever decided to do it. Can't wait to see it at one of the meets!

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s been 2 weeks from the last update, so, here’s what’s happened.
Car is up and running (first time after the accident, burped repeatedly with unique cooling system.) I guess Dan is the only one to fit late model Gen 1 Ron Davis Racing radiator into an early Gen 1. Ron (Venomblue550) chromed my hood hinges. I’m still waiting the chromed supercharger tubes.

3114DSCN4201-med.JPG

Roger’s Diamond back hood is painted gloss black inside, the inner fenders will be matched gloss black later this week.

3114DSCN4181-med.JPG

3114DSCN4184-med.JPG

3114DSCN4213-med.JPG

We’re trying to fit 2 gallon box in a 1 gallon space…. I need some bass (8" subwoofer), but the space is insanely limited. :bonker:

3114DSCN4222-med.JPG

Finally, the ********** snake was making so much noise we had to stuff its mouth! :curse: :curse:

3114DSCN4203-med.JPG

And back home:
The Viper Pit is empty and waiting…

3114DSCN4240-med.JPG

New 18” shoes…

3114DSCN4246-med.JPG

I’ll probably visit Dan again next weekend, looks like the Viper is about 3 weeks away from being back on the road….

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laurie, Coming along very nicely...You must be crazy anxious to get your car done...It will be more than worth the wait from what i can see for sure! Looking forward to the final product.

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lauri,

Newbie here... and the car looks like its going to turn out bada$$!!!

Is that VCT tile on your garage floor?... if it is... how do you keep it so shiny? I went with the VCT and now i have to buff/polish about once a month to keep it up...

Trying to find out if anyone makes a clear coat "ucoat it" type finish to paint over it.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960