Did Anyone Catch the Viper on TOP GEAR last night!

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tanner is driving a new Porsche when he lines up beside a Viper and a Chevy Nova. At the light the Viper gets left behind. Someone really needs to practice getting off the line! My apologies if it was one of our members!

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw that episode. The driver in the Viper smoked the tires at the line. What a crock.

Of course the GT2 had to win.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty sure the ACR still owns the lap record around their track. Not bad considering it was the first car they ever tested lol.

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 911 lost up 80 HP in the desert temp..lol.. So it had to race at night..

The Viper lost so much momentum due to wheel spin and in amateurish hands. Nevertheless the Viper's awesome street credit was one of the cars to beat.

One other issue the 911 had which made my eyes roll was,...it lost up 80 HP in the desert temp and had to race at night..*** is that all about..A boost car then can only be used at a certain time of day for race purposes? With an intercooler no doubt. Something to be said here about a big cubed normally aspirated motor.

Arthur

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw it. Total nonsense. US Top Gear has gotten a little better but honestly they should have called it something else and went with a little different format because the bar is just so high with UK Top Gear.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I have watched EVERY episode of both UK and US, I like UK better but both are fake (on SOME things) imo

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kevan, I sure couldn't find it!
I searched for a while to find their SEARCH feature. A big design flaw on an otherwise cool site.
BTW- that episode has Tanner racing, but Ralph just talking about the ACR-X.
I'm sure some further searching will net you the race with them going toe-to-toe on the track.

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also 99% sure their Stig is Tanner. They are built identical and they both look like children in the cars. Plus Tanner constantly talks up Stig when he's going around the track...

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw that, and with almost respective 0-60 times, I'd say that was done purposely. LOVE the STIG!!!! WHOever it is...so funny. After all, it's just a show for entertainment.
~juli

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also 99% sure their Stig is Tanner. They are built identical and they both look like children in the cars. Plus Tanner constantly talks up Stig when he's going around the track...
Tanner is not The U.S. Stig.
The Stig is taller.

Then again....everyone is taller than Tanner. :)

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw it. Total nonsense. US Top Gear has gotten a little better but honestly they should have called it something else and went with a little different format because the bar is just so high with UK Top Gear.

As far as I know the writing and producers are the same for both shows. The only difference is the personality the the hosts provide. If you watch some older UK Top Gear episodes, it wasn't so hot. It was more like what you would expect from UK TV.

What I like about the UK show is that even though Clarkson is arrogant and hates almost anything non-british, his criticisms are usually spot on. His opinions are just opinions. I find his reviews to be very insightful even in the midst of his sarcastic anti-American banter. Most importantly, he makes me laugh.

On one of the first US Top Gear episodes, Tanner did a full 360 in a Viper. I doubt any of the UK personalities have the skill to pull that off, they would just accuse the car of trying to kill them ;)

~Jay

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old Tanner is making a living beating up on Vipers... When ever he's around a Viper the Viper takes it on the chin... Couldn't beat the Chopper in the first episode, couldn't beat the ZR1 on Battle of the Supercars and now this... and wasn't there another where a Hennessy Viper started falling apart against a Hennessy FGT ... Jeesh !

Last edited:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as I know the writing and producers are the same for both shows. The only difference is the personality the the hosts provide. y
Totally different producers. IMDB doesn't list the writers but I am pretty sure they are different as well.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it is no secret that the Viper is violent. Spinning the tires was a rookie mistake at the start line. Fact is the Viper is just damn fast. At the track, on the street, at the 'ring, etc.... And priced right too! It is hard to beat it.

F

FrgMstr

Old Tanner is making a living beating up on Vipers... When ever he's around a Viper the Viper takes it on the chin... Couldn't beat the Chopper in the first episode, couldn't beat the ZR1 on Battle of the Supercars and now this... and wasn't there another where a Hennessy Viper started falling apart against a Hennessy FGT ... Jeesh !

But still numero uno on the Stig lap times! :)

Joe_Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think it's Paul Tracy...

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: The 911 lost up 80 HP in the desert temp..lol.. So it had to race at night..

The Viper lost so much momentum due to wheel spin and in amateurish hands. Nevertheless the Viper's awesome street credit was one of the cars to beat.

One other issue the 911 had which made my eyes roll was,...it lost up 80 HP in the desert temp and had to race at night..*** is that all about..A boost car then can only be used at a certain time of day for race purposes? With an intercooler no doubt. Something to be said here about a big cubed normally aspirated motor.

Arthur

Or a big cubed twin turbo motor :D lol

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Re: The 911 lost up 80 HP in the desert temp..lol.. So it had to race at night..

Notice that the Porsche did NOT set a lap time on the test track. I betcha Porsche corporate did not want it to come second best to a 2 year old American car and wouldn't let them run it.