Did you regret putting a Paxton on your SRT? Help!

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of finally pulling the trigger and having a Paxton put on my coupe. I was wondering if any of the past Paxtonized car owners ever regretted putting on the SC?

What should I be leary of in adding the Paxton to my car? Especially in the Texas heat?

What is the ballpark cost of having a Paxton installed these days?:dunno:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!:2tu:

(And yes, I did search the back threads.)

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'll never regrett it. You might want the DLM cooler in the Texas heat. The Paxton makes a huge improvement and the car drives stock until you hit the gas. I think I paid $12-$13k installed at Woodhouse and they did a perfect job. Call Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse and see what they can do. Thanks

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No regrets here either, but be forwarned they are not trouble free. I had an internal oil seal develop a leak on mine after about 2K miles. Others here have experienced similar leaks too. If you have it done I would recommend installing an ATI dampener and pin it with the Sean Roe pin kit. That is much stronger than the tiny 1/8" pins that come in the Paxton kit. Also the DLM cooler mentioned above is good advise to reduce heat soak. I have one as well. The Paxton is not that hard to install if you have the right tools and are mechanically inclined. You can download the install manual from Paxton's site to review and decide if your up to the task. The install time is about 20 to 24 hrs if you are reviewing estimates. You will also need a dyno afterward to ensure all is right with the A/F so factor that expense in as well. Hope this helps, good luck.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RMBSRT, are you in Dallas?

I LOVE my Paxton...do it NOW. Best thing ever.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I admit, I regret it..... I regret not doing it when I first bought my car. Its a blast to drive with the Paxton. Yet you can also cruise , drive normal and you almost wouldnt even know its there. But like others said, with any mod, you can have problems. Also, its a little more difficult to change the serpentine belt now or a few other things were the Paxton is in the way. But if you like to play, you have got to get a Paxton. Just be warned, you wont lose many freeway races. :D

Reaction score
PM sent! I have an enpty trailer coming back from a drop off in TX on Tuesday if you are interested, no charge for the one way ride!

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it-I have the DLM SC-no way I would go back.

As mentioned - good additions are - the DLM cooler & pump and also belt tensioner.

Cost factor will depend on what you want or put it another way-what you need. Don't cut to may corners-you may be sorry. A good set up and tune as mentioned around 13.

Near 10000 miles on my SC with no problems-Had a couple of mods installed so I had Adam to change the belt a few months ago.

In case you have not seen pics--Here are pics of stock cooler and pump compared to DLM

dlm_pump.jpg

dlm_cooler.jpg

OP
OP
R

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their feedback:2tu:...it seems adding a Paxton is not a bad idea:D!

I am going to call the gang at Woodhouse...anyone else I should call.

I live in Dallas Texas(Colleyville).

Hiss..thanks for the pics. I have one question for you. Did the larger cooler affect your A/C performance? I know that may sound a little ***** but in Texas..it is important.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their feedback:2tu:...it seems adding a Paxton is not a bad idea:D!

I am going to call the gang at Woodhouse...anyone else I should call.

I live in Dallas Texas(Colleyville).

Hiss..thanks for the pics. I have one question for you. Did the larger cooler affect your A/C performance? I know that may sound a little ***** but in Texas..it is important.

I can answer that, it doesn't effect AC performance

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not at all

BTW-the engine temp with SC-on hot day at a long idle or around town -200 never more than 205--Highway 180-190 or less.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my Woodhouse Paxtonized '06 coupe since May, 2006. It has been flawless. Since I am in Miami, and I drive the car almost everyday for at least a few minutes, I can assure you that it does well in the heat. There is a benefit to having a Five Star Dodge Dealer which happens to be one of the largest Viper dealers in the world and has a performance department do the installation. Woodhouse has an excellent working relationship with the SRT engineers and Paxton. If something should go wrong, it's good to have their clout behind you.

PS. I have the stock Paxton kit.
PPS. The Paxton comes with a limited three year warranty and a driveline warranty is available at an additional charge in case you were wondering.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the Paxton......(05 Comm. Edition Vert), no regrets what-so-ever! Living in Phoenix we deal with the heat for about 3 months of the summer......113+ a couple of times so far this year. I don't have the DLM cooler upgrades, and have had NO issues with the heat. Car runs 195 to 200 with the A/C on and on a 110+ degree day. The power is fantastic, and there are very few who will come close to you for performance. Again....NO regrets......I have approx 4K miles since I installed myself! Took me 33 hours......but I took my time, did it right, and had to protect my bad back!!!! $6,200 delievered to my door, and my time only for the install......a great investment in FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!!

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08 coupe and have been thinking about adding a SC as well. Since I'm here in Kommiefornia any probs passing smog? And what does adding a paxton do to your factory warrenty? Thanks. Oh and damn 13k for a complete install? Did I read that correct?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08 coupe and have been thinking about adding a SC as well. Since I'm here in Kommiefornia any probs passing smog? And what does adding a paxton do to your factory warrenty? Thanks. Oh and damn 13k for a complete install? Did I read that correct?

You dont have any supercharger options right now for a 08. The kit made for the 03-06 SRT was not CARB approved or smog legal in California.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent! I have an enpty trailer coming back from a drop off in TX on Tuesday if you are interested, no charge for the one way ride!

RMBSRT Don't make the mistake of passing up a free ride to Woodhouse for the blower. There is NO ONE in the world who's better. Mark J. installed my Paxton 1.5 years ago when I purchased the car new and I've got 10,000 trouble free miles on it. My car is currently back there right now for a few additional mods. Do I trust them? Well, we trailered the car 1200 miles one way from Maryland to Nebraska to put in Mark's hands..... I think that says a lot......

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why did you wait so long. lol
Don't forget to drop in 3.33 gears in there while your at it. Makes all the difference...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over 20,000 trouble free miles here. Only trouble is getting good tires. Using Kumho V700 now. Yee Ha.

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark Jorgensen did mine and I could not be happier. I further had him install the Motons - these 2 mods makes the difference in the world!

Follow up and craftmanship is 2nd to none!

Mark, Bill and Woodhouse stand by their services - I have have them and Dan from DC Performance on the top of my list!!

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RichieSRT10 made a interesting post on the DLM cooler and pump. Hope Richie doesn't mind for me putting this on.

"The small unit is good for only one run before it gets hot. The solution by DLM is this.

Doug built a rear intercooler and pump so I can continuosly boost. This system was built and designed by Doug Levin. I went to the Bradenton event this December and ran a 10.40 and 5 minutes later ran a 10.43. Made one more run and pulled a 10.41. I never opened the hood or allowed any cool down time. This was on pump gas and street tires(Pirelli P Zero) & doing 3 consecutive runs I should have used some race gas just to keep temps down, but I didn't."

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Doug built a rear intercooler and pump"

Hi. What does the above mean? You have two intercoolers? In the rear of what? Please explain.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ask Richie to come on and explain but he had a Remote Extra large Cooler placed over the right rear axle.

He has one fast Viper with a lot of internal engine changes. I think he also has a bunch of miles on this set up with no problems.

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't regret the Paxton! It may not be relevant, but was in San Antonio 2 weeks ago and temperatures reached 99 degrees. I had recently changed my radiator fluid and added Watter-Wetter also.

I noticed that the temps rose up to 220 degrees a few times while idling in the hot traffic. That's the hottest it's ever ran. It previously would only reach to 205 degrees before the change in radiator fluid.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ask Richie to come on and explain but he had a Remote Extra large Cooler placed over the right rear axle.

He has one fast Viper with a lot of internal engine changes. I think he also has a bunch of miles on this set up with no problems.

The underlined wording above does not make sense. Either Richie or Doug need to jump in and answer my question. Here is the relevant page from Doug's website. There is no rear mounted application. I think the white car shown may be Richie's.

Dodge Viper - SRT-10

Supercharging

Our SRT DLM/Paxton Supercharger System consists of the following components:

Polished Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharger unit.
Air/Water aftercooler.
Two piece billet front mounted harmonic balancer.
Exclusive DLM broached crankshaft snout for extra secured balancer support.
Colder temperature range spark plugs.
Mobile One synthetic oil and filter replacement.
All related fluids replaced.
Professional installation.
This package produces an estimated 750 ground stomping horsepower!

DLM SRT Supercharger Options:

Polished intake manifold.
Polished throttle body.
DLM upgraded tensioner for limited belt slip and added performance.
Matching boost gauge.
DLM larger front mount heat exchanger for better cooling capacity (polished optional).
High flow cooling pump (required for DLM larger front mount heat exchanger).
Different supercharger pulley sizes and belts (needs custom cutting for fitment).

http://javascript<b></b>:showImage(...m/images/srt10/supercharge5.jpg','800','600') DLM offers a complete intercooler upgrade kit to eliminate the higher temperatures created by continuous boost applications. This is a must for cars with cast pistons or those who wish to stabilize higher performance without the risk of detonation. The DLM front mount cooler provides 3x more surface area to assist in dissipating heat from the hot water in the supercharger's cooling system. Cooler water provides denser charge air temps to pack more air in the engine's cylinders, therefore, creating more power!
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will a supercharger system be aval.for a 2008 in the future.If so,I would like to send my 08 back to Woodhouse for one to be installed.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will a supercharger system be aval.for a 2008 in the future.If so,I would like to send my 08 back to Woodhouse for one to be installed.

Don't count on it. And, if it becomes available, it will not be a plug and play kit. The SRT engineers made it clear in our last chat that the '08 engine is highly stressed in its stock form and that beyond headers, filters and a freer flowing catback exhaust, a piston change out would be required. A supercharger would also probably require a cam change out and some serious reprogramming of the Venom program or a completely different engine controller. That's why I kept my supercharged '06 and had the '08 tranny, differential and tires installed. I have the best of both Generations. Search "Woodhouse Performance Edition Viper" and you will find the post and the certificate from Woodhouse describing all the mods.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't count on it. And, if it becomes available, it will not be a plug and play kit. The SRT engineers made it clear in our last chat that the '08 engine is highly stressed in its stock form and that beyond headers, filters and a freer flowing catback exhaust, a piston change out would be required. A supercharger would also probably require a cam change out and some serious reprogramming of the Venom program or a completely different engine controller. That's why I kept my supercharged '06 and had the '08 tranny, differential and tires installed.

This "stressed '08" idea has been floating around for a while now, and there's one problem with how you're quoting it (IMHO):

The '03-'06 engine is no stronger than the '08 engine. If the '08 really should get forged pistons (to run more than 650HP), then so should the '03s-'06s. :omg: Think about it.

The real reason why some initially suggested hanging on to '06s and earlier for supercharging was the cam and ECU programming complexity of the new '08s. The "stressed '08" comment has been wrongly added to those concerns.

Personally, I'd rather have a 600HP n/a engine than a 650HP supercharged engine, and if you've got more than 650HP on any Gen3 or 4, you'd better have forged pistons. That's my take on the SRT engineer's comments.