Diff. Assy Change....Question!

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found a KILLER deal on a NEW in the box MOPAR-VIPER 3.55:1 diff assembley, complete with HD cover...Has anyone done this changeover using this MOPAR item before? It seems like it would be the eaiser way to go than having a gear set put in and set up...Seems less labor intensive and less hassle.

Also is 3.55:1 the way to go for the street?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Jim Lauterbach
supergrin.gif

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found a great deal on complete diff assy from viper connection in Atlanta GA. Spoke to Larry the owner. He said he would sell me one in 3:55 drop shipped from Warren MI for $1428.00, diff cover for $150.00. He does not have the speedo conversion but the P-Guy has em for about $150. If wou want to keep your factory warranty, its probably cheaper than having your diff rebuilt.

Bobbo

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a connection who can sell me the diff for $950. and the cover for $100 + $35.00 shipping = $1085.00

I just picked up the Mopar BORLA cat back system new in the box for $750.00 + $35.00 shipping = $785.00

I just want to make sure that the 3:55's would be better than the 3:73's ??

Thanks again!
Jim
supergrin.gif

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webtrader:
I have a connection who can sell me the diff for $950. and the cover for $100 + $35.00 shipping = $1085.00

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the complete Mopar diff assembly with 3.55's for $1085? Please send me a PM. I will take one also if available. Don't they usually go for $1500 or so?

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
I too am looking to buy one. Based on all of the research that I have done to date, it seems that 3.55's (I think 3.54 is actually the ratio) are the way to go. If your contact has more than one available, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jim

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ,
Where are you getting that from ? That is below dealer cost by 8 or 9 hundred dollars. I just offered to rebuild a 97 diff with 3.55 gears and a rear cover for $1200, and I thought that was a very good deal. Is this a super 44 with the 7/16 bolts or a stock 3/8 ? After reading this, the individual that I spoke to most likely thinks I am a thief. If you can buy it for that price you had better buy two. As far as the gears go, I have driven 3.55 cars, and I still feel there is room for more gear. I have tried to sell 3.73 or 4.10 gears to customers, and they are all afraid of the tire spinning rumors that have spread like wild fires from people that don't know. It is all about how you drive the car... and yes I think mods have a lot to do with it also. A stock or lightly modded viper could take 4.10 gears with no problem, and it would be a totally different car in third, forth, and fifth gear. Anyway, just my opinion, hopefully I didn't offend anyone.
See Ya Later,
Joe Donovan

Performance By Joe
King Dodge
St. Louis, Missouri

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperjim,
You had your diff build with just a ring and pinion ? If that is the case, I don't feel so bad. I am selling a complete housing, dana gears, all new bearings and races, rear cover, synthetic gear lube and additive, and set up labor for that price. The $1085 is very cheap, I can't believe somebody can build it for that price and still make money. One other question, did you feel any torque change with the addition of the headers ? It sounds like you have a very nice package on your car.
Later,
Joe

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...Im half tempted to go with the 4:10's setup as I know from years of experience that gears make a HUGE bang for the buck difference as well as make better use of a 6 speed transmission !!

I plan on going "Slightly" modified in the future and think this will be the ticket.

Anyone running the 4:10's or 3;73's ?? If so please respond to me here or by email, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim :-D

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears,gears, and more gear. This is my experience with rear gear changes. First 3.73 in a gen 1 will help in the 1/4 as long as the car is only slighty modded.( Tubes/hoses/catback.) More horspower will not increase your 1/4 et with 3.73 on stock tires. You will run out of motor rpm's as you increase horsepower. Go with 3.55 or 3.45 if you do more mods. GEN II: 3.73 is too much gear if you have many mods. You will be close to redline in 4th in the 1/4. Near redline your hp/torque is dereasing and you are slowing down, not accelerating. 3.55 are fine for the 1/4 in a genII as long as the car is not heavily modded. Less than 450-500 rwhp. 3.45 are better for the 1/4 again mods up to 450to 500rwhp. I have personally run a 60'1.73 and a 11.64 @ 122.5 on 18" p-zero's. In fact I did this yesteraday on a very hot day. Note: This track is near sea-level, higher elevations will affect the gear do to lower hp. Higher elevations where people typically don't reach 4th gear in the qtr may see much better results with 3.73. Hope this helps answer some of the rear gear questions. This is only my experience. I'm sure others may have had some different experiences, what we need is actual/factual info, not just opinions to help us make our purchases/decisions on mods more cost effective to Get it right the first time!

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Webtrader, where's the beef? If you can let us in on that deal you got for the differential then please do. I'll take two and I am certain many others may be interested.

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...I ordered the 3:54's ....

Thanks to all for the INPUT and ADVISE !!

I will let you know the results when I get the diff installed.

Thanks,
Jim
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
W

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Artman and others...

Sorry but my source for the diff. parts cannot secure me any others at this time.

If things change I will let you all know....I love to pass on screaming deals and finds!

Thanks again,
Jim
supergrin.gif

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webtrader:
Artman and others...

Sorry but my source for the diff. parts cannot secure me any others at this time.

If things change I will let you all know....I love to pass on screaming deals and finds!

Thanks again,
Jim
supergrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, let us know if more become available. The best part of having whole assembly is being able to keep a spare differential and I could possibly even bolt it on myself. If anyone else comes across a great deal on a complete rear with 3.55's pls drop me a line. Else, it look like I will be buying the gears alone and will find someone to put them in (one local dealer says they have never done a gear swap and the other local needs car for three days!).