Difference between front and rear calipers

Shags

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:dunno:OK stupid question probably, but how do you tell the difference between front and rear calipers? The manual mentions different piston size, but it does not seem to be apparent looking at the calipers. Only one of the four calipers is marked (RR) and that makes it easy to figure out the RF, but I can't see a difference between the other two. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Shags

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if you have a confirmed front and rear, how about taking the other unconfirmed pair and compare piston sizes to the confirmed set? How about orientation of the hydraulic line connection as a clue?

OP
OP
S

Shags

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I thought that would be an easy way as well, but I can't tell a difference in the piston size on any of them just by visually looking at them.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, try this:

The bleeder screws have to be up (the cross over tubes have to be down.)
The calipers are mounted to the rear on the front brakes, to the front on the rear brakes. (they all are close to the center of the car.)

Hold up the RR caliper like you were in the car; the rotor opening is facing you (the bridge of the caliper is facing front of car), the bleeder is up, the flexible brake hose attaches to your left. The "other" caliper that also fits these criteria is then the LF - except it's not marked. Hold up the LF caliper and run through the logic steps above to make sure.

Do the same with your RF. Bleeders up, flex hose attaches to the left, rotor opening away from you, caliper bridge facing you. The other caliper that meets these criteria is the LR.

The pistons in each caliper have two sizes; the fronts are 44mm and 40mm, the rears are 42mm and 38mm. Yes, the rear SRT calipers and the same as the front Gen 1/2 calipers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang