Differential Unit.

Nickerson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a 2006 Viper it runs great. I am changing the rear differential ring and pinion gears from 3:07 to 3:55. I heard that the differential units from this year are weak. I was thinking of changing my unit, to something better. My question is what is a good replacement.
Thank you

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You could also swap up to the gen 4 setup. And I'm not sure I would necessarily call the gen 3 unit "weak". I think the bigger problem people had with them was the locking unit itself. I think it tended to lock and unlock a little more inconsistently or something like that, so it wouldn't put the power down as effectively. The gen 3 setup used the actual diff fluid for the clutches, so that could have a big impact on performance depending on oil quality. I believe the gen 4 unit uses a sealed fluid reservoir with a dedicated shear fluid inside for the clutches, so it's a little more consistent.

That being said, I've never heard a bad thing about the Wavetrack, so that's definitely an excellent choice as well. I can't recall, but is that one a torsion style? I think those tend to be one of the best kind of torque splitting setups you can get.

Ricky1987

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go to at least a 3.73. I changed mine to that and at 80 mph in 6th gear, the engine revs are at 2000. You might even consider a 4:11, which would still give you a 2.06 overall drive ratio in sixth, still very low. My car absolutely came alive in the lower gears with the 3.73. You will need to change the speedo module no matter what gear you choose. I got mine at Rowe Racing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets