Diffuser and splitter build pics

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some semi-scientific road testing. As had been stated, the splitter is attached to a piece of rubber - the front bumper - and will move some when force is put on it downward. The bumper gives. Duh. I wanted to see how much at different speeds. Here was the plan:

-> Take some Post-it notes and put them in-between the splitter trim panel and the bumper. If the splitter pulls away they will fly out.

Semi-scientific eh?

So I took 5 of them folded over and shoved them in near the side.

They looked like this after 70 mph, but were previously straight over the screw:

You must be registered for see images

They were gone after 100 mph on the Mexican road course known as South Fort Worth.

Next was to determine by stacking stuff on the splitter how much weight it would take to loosen the paper up.

Semi-scientific...

Nope!

Yup!

Finally...

These pics are for Bottlefed...

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think this is the best image that's ever been posted on the internet.

Out of context, this is even better! Can you imagine what would happen if one of the guys from another forum just jumped to the last page of this thread!? HA.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While Sweet Ride readies my first pay check and prepares to pay the invoice for my new $150K workshop...

when are you gonna build them in mass prodution dave i want one

I want one as well...

The check is in the :mail:. However after administrative fees, postage, my cut, and other related expenses, your total came out to about $.07. Don't spend it all in one place! :money:

:think: I made some "adjustments" to the $150K shop by buying mostly hand tools from Harbor Freight. Would you believe I got it all for $1.5K? Amazing! Let me know when you plan to show up for your first day so I can have the Shiner on ice!

Great work on the prototype! :2tu:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad you didn't have a friendly Mexican with a camera handy to take pics of the spoiler deflection as you went by at speed.

Another way to measure deflection force would be a simple spring scale ( ie. Zebco Fish Deliar). That way you could determine exactly how many pounds of force per inch of deflection.

I am curious what happens if one your too friendly cheerleader friends stands on your spoiler during a photo op?

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally...

These pics are for Bottlefed...

Ha!
I meant for you to stand on it after it is installed on the car :lmao:
you could lay a sheet of binder paper across 2 boards and stand on it but it doesn't mean it's strong ;)

I like your testing though
so what do you do now that you know it pulls down significantly at 100+ ?

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious what happens if one your too friendly cheerleader friends stands on your spoiler during a photo op?
that will be the true test of Dave's engineering skills
it will depend on if the cheerleader is from Texas... because we all know everything is bigger in Texas :tx:
even the girls :scared1:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha!
I meant for you to stand on it after it is installed on the car :lmao:
you could lay a sheet of binder paper across 2 boards and stand on it but it doesn't mean it's strong ;)

I like your testing though
so what do you do now that you know it pulls down significantly at 100+ ?

I actually thought about duct taping my video cam to the bumper but I figured the vibration would probably nix the picture quality.

As far as the deflection goes, it worries me not. Have no plans to do any further reinforcement or supports etc. It gets very solid after pushing down on it very hard. The resulting deflection is maybe 1/4". The force I'm using well in excess of the 20 pounds of beer and steel that in my opinion replicates the 100 mph force. So back to my duh line, it's attached to a piece of rubber. The rubber flexes, the splitter either flexes with it or cause the flex. But it ain't coming off unless the fascia comes off too.

As far as standing on it goes, with room for one foot per side and those locations nearly 4 feet apart on the sides, do you really want a picture of me spread eagle bending over my hood? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

BTW, post a pic of your notebook paper flex test. My guess is it will splinter just like the 3/8 plywood would fail that test. ;)

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, are the parts at the paint shop yet? :eater:

Looking forward to seeing the end result :)

:uk:
Raining Today :(

Been out of town. Playing in someone else's garage :D

Aluminum parts are off to the powder coaters this afternoon. The fiberglass springboard I'm going to rattle can this week. If it does not hold up I'll spend some money on real paint.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Splitter done in the nick of time for the :tx: Texas Roundup :tx: So yes, some of you will have seen this - finished and on the car.

Rattle canned the fiberglass with Krylon. A quick sanding between the 2 coats produced a nice finish. I also sprayed the powdercoated aluminum parts so they would have the exact sheen.

Going together I taped off the splitter to prevent scraping.

It was recommended to use some 3M tape where the filler panel rides the fascia. I bought this, but did not use it yet. I need some paint/buffing/re-striping anyway...

A few driveway pics before the Roundup. I saw some people taking pics at the Roundup and if there are any sweeter shots I'll add them after the pic site is up.

It did pass the *** mph test :D

BTW, the Mobil 1 decals I had made are reflective black and standard silver. No white. :nono: So at least when you rag me for the stickers rag correctly. :rolaugh:

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As I said at the Round Up, absolutely PERFECT in every way. The diffuser and the splitter are beyond words. You had the nicest car at the meet imo.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Dave
it looks great!
I bet it looks even better as you walk around it and see all the aero parts together

next time you have it jacked up, take some pics of the underside attached to the car

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks very cool, good to see someone making their own stuff (and very well made)and not just using off the shelf stuff. Congrats.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks very cool, good to see someone making their own stuff (and very well made)and not just using off the shelf stuff. Congrats.

Agreed. It's well done. However, I think the materials Dave uses are "off the shelf". I think Dave has done a magnificent job of showing us how to use readily available materials (i.e. fiberglass panels, aluminum, etc.) and ingenuity to create our own parts as we see fit.

I've been enjoying this thread and I hate to see the build come to an end. I think Dave needs to carry on. Any chance of a rear wing project Dave? :eater:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dave needs to carry on. Any chance of a rear wing project Dave? :eater:

In light of the challenging economy, I've recently switched to beer in a can, from my historic long neck of many years. A few pennies saved with each pull of the tab.

Soooooooo, once this newfound pile of cans has enough girth to challenge my smelting ***, I can see some airfoil castings in my future.

Meanwhile, the smelter is doing some chicken and ribs tonight :beer:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. It's well done. However, I think the materials Dave uses are "off the shelf". I think Dave has done a magnificent job of showing us how to use readily available materials (i.e. fiberglass panels, aluminum, etc.) and ingenuity to create our own parts as we see fit.

I've been enjoying this thread and I hate to see the build come to an end. I think Dave needs to carry on. Any chance of a rear wing project Dave? :eater:

I am guessing the next project will be the interior makeover.... can't wait to see how that goes!
:eater::eater::eater::eater:

BTW-Great Job!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:DLooks gr8 Dave.
;)So what was the middle X in your *** mph test ? And did you drive enough to notice any difference in the dynamics of the car at speed, i.e.: less understeer in corners?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets