Do I need any special tools to install brake pads?

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered my EBC Greens from John B. Do I need any special tool(s) to install them? I read other posts about "cleaning up" the rotors.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, not really. To return the rear pistons the manual indicates to use a special tool but one is not needed. Use of a pair of needle nose pliers was all I needed. To use the pliers you insert the two ends into the holes and rotate the piston. Similar to a spanner wrench in function.

The fronts only require a drift punch.

Should be nothing more than a 1/2 hour job plus the time to remove the wheels.
Plus the time to thoroughly sand and clean the rotors prior to EBC installation.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOWEVER, it is MUCH easier with the tool. See if you can borrow one. It will save time at the very least and won't scratch your barke piston at best. Oh, it will also save you time and several profanities.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, it's "Tool Time" (grunt, grunt) :D I know that both Parts Rack and GreatBrakes.com stock the brake tools. Maybe other tuners as well. If you're lucky, your local Dodge dealer MAY have one for sale in their parts department, but most have to order it.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm not aware of your car's age. As JonB always says..... "the year matters". The tool for all NON ABS cars through 2000 is #6366, and will cost you under $15 at a discount. Yes you CAN use needle nose pliers to accomplish that, but it's a bit more of a pain and can be harder on the caliper pistons. If you have a later model Viper with ABS, then forget the pliers. You WILL need the special tool #8807, and that one is around $40 at a discount.

Tim Allen, over and out! :D

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done a couple of ABS cars without a tool. All it takes is a little African-American engineering! I didn't think it was hard at all, but I guess I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I put a motor in the R/T. :)

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, not really. To return the rear pistons the manual indicates to use a special tool but one is not needed. Use of a pair of needle nose pliers was all I needed. To use the pliers you insert the two ends into the holes and rotate the piston. Similar to a spanner wrench in function.

The fronts only require a drift punch.

Should be nothing more than a 1/2 hour job plus the time to remove the wheels.
Plus the time to thoroughly sand and clean the rotors prior to EBC installation.

Wow, less than 8 minutes per wheel. Now I know why I get other people to do this job for me. :)

marteeni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't you use a C-clamp to compress the piston back into the caliper, or are Viper calipers somehow different than most cars???

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear brake caliper contains the cable actuated emergency brake system. During normal pad wear the piston rotates to take up the clearance and preserve the mechanical adjustment.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a set of heavy needle nose plires and thought there wasn't much effort needed. I was prepared though, borrowed the tool from Tomcat for the rear calipers but it was to big. I figure the '96 pistons are smaller than the 2001's.
So,I found a post where Vipermed said to use needle nose pliers and my evening was saved. I love my greens they work well and hardly dust my white wheels!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What grit sandpaper do you use to clean the rotors? Can you do it by hand or is some kind of sanding wheel for a drill the best?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Assuming that rotors do not need to be turned...I use 120 grit on a 3" wheel with a cordless electric drill...the kit that I like is by 3M, called " Brake Rotor Surfacing Kit".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc