Do they proofread the owner's manuals ?!

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do they proofread the owner\'s manuals ?!

I was reading through my manual tonight and noticed something odd.

On page 83, it says to run 91 octane fuel, and then goes on to say "The purchase of higher octane fuel is not recommended".

Then on page 136 it says Fluid Recommendations (Gasoline) ... Premium Unleaded 93 octane only.

Hmmmm? I do have 93 available, but experience tells me that 91 is just fine for a completely stock '01 GTS. But still surprises me the manual contradicts itself.

Mike M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Do they proofread the owner\'s manuals ?!

haha thats funny, its like reading these free car magazines that you can get at convience stores, there are so many misprints in them. You would think someone that deal with selling cars or making a car could point out obvious mistakes like this. haha o well.....

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 96' RT/10 owners manual shows 1 of the fuse cavities should be empty. I was replacing my alarm fuse 1 night and noticed a fuse in the block that was suppose to be empty, so I removed that fuse. Car wouldnt crank afterwards. I replaced the fuse that the boook says isnt suppose to be there and the car fired up fine. I never investigated, but I think it had something to do with the fuel pump b/c of how the car acted after I pulled it.

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Almost all the Springfield have 92 and less. And the occasional few will have 93. I would have loved to have had 93 in California when I drove a blown Firebird Formula.

Now that I have it, my top car only needs 91. (Depending on how you read the manual of course!). Needed it, couldn't get it. Have it, don't need it. Isn't that just life?!

Mike M

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I know..that totally *****. I remember when they used to have 93 in Cali....and I also remember the day I went to a gas station, only to find out that a "91" sticker has been placed over all the "93" gas pumps. I spent about 1 hour driving around town trying to find a gas station that had "93" left (obviously I haven't been paying attention to the news :laugh: ) Oh well.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MANUAL????, I have not gotten to that yet, still enjoying the ride.

OP
OP
M

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't have the car home yet - So the best I can do is read the manual and cruise the boards. I should have the space cleared in my garage in the next week or so.

I did go drive it today. I love 2nd gear freeway entries!

Mike M

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is pretty funny. Well, I use 93 all the time. Not sure if I ever used anything else.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I havent seen anything less than 93 for premium any where in NJ, Sunoco even offers 94 octane. You will not damage your car by putting a higher octane, you could put 110 if you wanted to. The main thing it prevents is pinging and detonation on more aggressive tunes with a lower air/fuel ratio. It is especially necessary on turbo and blower applications.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

91 or 93 it probably doesn't matter much. I used 91 when I went through Iowa. I use 93 in Florida and whenever I can.

Whichever you use it's probably a good idea to pick one and try to stick with it. I'm guessing the computer makes adjustments.