Do You Know How Hot Your Sills Run

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fluke just released a $1,000 camera, however, those are low resolution. Do a Google on a Fluke Ti25 (predecessor to the 125 or ti10), see if you can find a used one. I have some pics of a plugged cat, those are crazy.

Do you know of any somewhat decent IR cameras that are <$1k? I'd love to have one of those Flukes to play around with, but I can't justify spending that kinda coin on an IR camera.

As for sill heat, I've been reminded on a couple of occassions how hot they get, but it never leaves a mark on bare skin. If I ever remember, I'll have to grab my IR thermometer the next time I have it out.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about removing the exhaust and wrapping it with the heat insulating cloth. I've used this on other cars and you can touch the wrapped parts even while the car is running. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not there is enough clearance in the sill after the pipe is wrapped to fit it back in there.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sills are already lined with inconel heat shields. There is very little pipe in there, it is mostly muffler. You could probably get 1 layer of wrap on the muffler, but I don't see it working any better than inconel liners. The hot sill issue is a bit overexaggerated, the only section that gets really hot is where the exhaust tip exits. Nobody's leg should touch that area when getting in/out.

Tony

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sills are already lined with inconel heat shields. There is very little pipe in there, it is mostly muffler. You could probably get 1 layer of wrap on the muffler, but I don't see it working any better than inconel liners. The hot sill issue is a bit overexaggerated, the only section that gets really hot is where the exhaust tip exits. Nobody's leg should touch that area when getting in/out.

Tony

Inconel would only be acting as a heat shield, so it would reduce radiant heat transfer but the shielding itself would still get hot. With the heat insulating wrap around the exhaust pipe the heat would be trapped inside the pipe so there would be much less radiant heat in the first place. The only other issue besides fitment that I could think of is that wrapping the pipes would increase the operating temperature of exhaust tubing and muffler substantially, which could potentially cause fractures and cracks over time.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inconel would only be acting as a heat shield, so it would reduce radiant heat transfer but the shielding itself would still get hot. With the heat insulating wrap around the exhaust pipe the heat would be trapped inside the pipe so there would be much less radiant heat in the first place. The only other issue besides fitment that I could think of is that wrapping the pipes would increase the operating temperature of exhaust tubing and muffler substantially, which could potentially cause fractures and cracks over time.

Bingo...also, if any moisture works its way in (from washing the car, etc.), it can cause the metal to deteriorate much more quickly.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a picture where the heat shields are exposed.

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you pull off the rear fascia for the taillight, could you please do a "how to"

I'd love to rip mine off to wrap it, but I have not a clue how to do so...

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if the weather is good this weekend i will make a video of me cooking eggs on my door sills. I did this many years ago at car shows and everyone thought it was a gag....

Just a spray of PAM nonstick, and its time t make some over easy eggs.

Will post on youtube

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4