Dodge better bring the rain!

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't wait to check it out. Im a mustang fan through and through. I love what Ford has been able to do with their new mustangs. Crazy power, good handling and all the comforts of a NEW car. That being said, i wouldn't sell my ACR for one, even though it might beat me down or around a track. I've owned several mustangs and my last one was modded out. But at the end of the day it is still a mustang. A blast to drive, great sound and the cars look good. Until you park one beside a viper. No hp number can beat the look of a Viper.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
A blast to drive, great sound and the cars look good. Until you park one beside a viper. No hp number can beat the look of a Viper.

This. The Mustang is a muscle car and not in the Viper's class. Now if i was driving that rolling chicane called Challenger I could see the worry. Stock Laguna Mustangs are already in the 11's and are quicker around a road course too. Challenger and Camaro are gonna need a weight loss program.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are we askng questions we already know the aenswer to?

The 500 hp one did 12.6 at 114 mph...

The 550 hp one did 12.3at 118

What do some of us not understand about this car being extremely heavy?

650 hp will do 11.7 at 125. Basically 2006 z06 performance. It wont touch a gen4 viper let alone the gen5.

Would need 700 hp to give a gen4 a run for its money and that would only be quartermile.

Btw. Anyone who compares a gt500 to a viper is delusional, If thats the case than Im tradeing my gen3 for a f430 tomorrow since they have similar hp...oh wait! Thats right! They are a differant class of car...........

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are we askng questions we already know the aenswer to?

The 500 hp one did 12.6 at 114 mph...

The 550 hp one did 12.3at 118

What do some of us not understand about this car being extremely heavy?

650 hp will do 11.7 at 125. Basically 2006 z06 performance. It wont touch a gen4 viper let alone the gen5.

Would need 700 hp to give a gen4 a run for its money and that would only be quartermile.

Btw. Anyone who compares a gt500 to a viper is delusional, If thats the case than Im tradeing my gen3 for a f430 tomorrow since they have similar hp...oh wait! Thats right! They are a differant class of car...........

I had to laugh when I read your numbers because it reminded me of a conversation I had last week with a 03 cobra owner who went off when I told him the 1/4 mile times were the same for his Cobra and my 300 SRT8. (stock numbers of course). He went away cursing about no friggin way and me being a delusional Mopar nut..... he came back an hour later after looking it up and admitted he was wrong. The numbers vary depending on which magazine drove them, but both cars take a good driver to get good numbers. The main difference is for very little money, the Ford owners gain a lot of HP. We Viper and Mopar owners require a little more money for the same results.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed but your 440 rwhp gts will have zero issues running a 11.9 @122 mph at an average drag strip in average weather...

You have a measly 500 crank hp...but at just 3400 pounds and 500 rwt coupled with 13 inch wide rear tires, that 11 second pass on the stock rubber is very atainable.

On the other end of the spectrum a 3800-4000 pound shelby with its laughable 10.5 inch rears will need 600 crank hp to do whats yours can do at 500 hp...

I wish street raceing vids were alowed. I have a vid of my viper at 500 rwhp vs a 500 rwhp cobra. We went three times from a roll and my snake ate his quite easily each time

Vipers have little to fear from a 650 hp shelby. Especially the 2008 and later.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to check it out. Im a mustang fan through and through. I love what Ford has been able to do with their new mustangs. Crazy power, good handling and all the comforts of a NEW car. That being said, i wouldn't sell my ACR for one, even though it might beat me down or around a track. I've owned several mustangs and my last one was modded out. But at the end of the day it is still a mustang. A blast to drive, great sound and the cars look good. Until you park one beside a viper. No hp number can beat the look of a Viper.

Really well said. That's my opinion, too, but I'm (I don't know why, really) an anti-Mustang guy. I think it comes down the fact that they're everywhere, especially in California. And that's the opposite of a Viper, any year, any type.

And I don't enjoy the Viper because I'm a "look at me!" kind of guy; it's the fact that I sometimes head out to the garage to just stare at the car, all by myself. Well, that and the pure joy of driving it hard...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I wish street raceing vids were alowed. I have a vid of my viper at 500 rwhp vs a 500 rwhp cobra. We went three times from a roll and my snake ate his quite easily each time

Vipers have little to fear from a 650 hp shelby.

I don't think there's an issue with posting links to YouTube videos!! (Wink, wink, nudge nudge, hint hint)

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This coin actually has three sides. First the car may have a list price of $54,999. No dealership is going to sell it for that. I have already inquired with a couple of local dealers here in the state of Montana and they have already said "if" they can get one, not guaranteed to all dealerships obviously, they will start at $75,000 plus. My dealer in town has a 2008 GT500/Cobra whatever and they have it listed for $98,000. Yep that is not a typo. Secondly Vipers are an American exotic, not a muscle car. It has the power obviously but we are talking different class of vehicle. Mustangs, Cameros, Vettes and to some degree Posches can be seen on the regular driven by old blue hairs. When you make a great car but then use that same platform for a "budget" V-6 model or something you take away from the mystique and exclusivity of the car. Dodge/SRT has done a good job of controlling production numbers and not dumbing down the original concept. The Corvette is kind of the exception here but not really. If any of you are familiar with sportbikes I will use this analogy. I ride RC51's and have for years. Why? It is not the fastest, most powerful crotchrocket available. It has its particular quirks and issues that are germaine to it and it alone. Once sorted however the RC is a track weapon that can kick you in the teeth on the track and have you easily riding over your abilities on the street. My Viper elicits the same response from me that my RC does. Ear to ear smiles all day long. Oh and let's not forget. How does the layman view our cars? I have recently taken my Viper to my local highschool for a mini car show if you will. The shop teacher has a new ZO6, a friend brought his 2010 Mustang GT500, and I of course had my 1996 RT-10. Which car do you think the kids were gathered around almost the entire time? The Corvette garnered zero attention, the Mustang drew attention as I made it a point to bring up the fact that it had 650hp plus supercharged hp but that last about a minute the rest of the hour saw these kids drooling over the Viper. The classic lines, exclusivity, and pure visceral appeal cannot be overlooked. So I may have less hp than your neighbors or your friends Mustang or Vette but I drive pure unadulterated sex on four wheels!

Craig, yea I know it's long. And to think I was considering selling this animal. Crazy.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own and enjoy both, I have a Boss 302 LS and I converted my 08 coupe with the ACR Aero and suspension. My Mustang needs an independent rear, more rubber and brakes not to mention HP to compete with the Viper. But for half the money its probably 3/4's the car and a better daily driver for me. Enjoy both at the road course. The Mustang is a bigger vehicle with more weight on smaller rubber but Ford has done a great job of setting its suspension up.
How the extra weight and potential heat problems effect the new Shelby will be interesting to see.

Richard

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The boss 302 ls is very close to a gts performance wise. Just a lil slower at the strip and around a road course but it is comparable in that aspect.

Ive always said that if there sasnt an entry level 48k vette or entry level 30k v6 mustang that the zr1 and gt500 would be much closer to the viper. But when you see two c6s a day and ten new mustangs a day compared to three vipers a year the zr1 and gt500 lose much of there luster. How can you truly get excited when you see there 90% the same exteriored lil brothers on a daily basis.

The mustang is slowly yurning its reputation around with the 300 hp v6 and this new 650 hp supercharged v8 but the damage was done well before there arivals.

We all recall the 320 hp cobra that dynoed 230 rwhp. This was a devastateing blow to the mustang community when ford lied about the hp number. They then brought out the 2003 cobra advertised at 390 hp that actually dynoed 365 rwhp and was under rated considerable. This was a step in the right direction.

Unfortunetly they stumbled again when they brought out the shelby gt500 that was 500 hp but actually lost in drag races to the 390 hp 03 cobra due to added weight ect.

Fords reputation with the mustang has never truly recovered. Sure they have many mustang followers as you would expect with any cheap muscle car in todays economy that has an never ending and very cheap aftermarket. But outside of the followers it is viewed by many as the poor mans camaro, rustang ect......the mustang easily has the worst reputation for being a non handleing pos found on the road dead vehicle.

Its a shame as the laguana seca 5.0 is actually a very kool car. But many to include myself would never even give it a chance due to the mustang monkier

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Gen V Viper still will not be as quick as a Porsche 911 Turbo S or a 2013 GTR.No matter HP it has.My New Turbo S will run 11.00 @ 129 with out Launch Control and 10.80s with L/C all day long,every time.Done it.In saying that,I will be getting a new Gen V Viper,because it is a Viper. and they are so Bad Asss.

2011 Porsche 911 T/S
2010 Ford Raptor 6.2

2008 SRT Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1
1997 GTS Viper B/W
1996 RT 10 Viper

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a test on the new ZL1 Camaro with 580hp and it ran a 12.9... Actual weight of the car at the run was something like 4,202 lbs

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You realize that gen 4s trap 128-131 mph right?

You realize that they have went 10.9 and do 11.0-11.4 on a regular basis?

The gen5 is gonna be a 10.5 at 135 mph car. It will demolish your p car quite easily. Sure your average driver is gonna run a 11.1@131 mph but the skilled drivers are gonna be at avetador performance. The ptt will not be feared

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister,I hope what you are saying is true(10.50@135).But I do not think so with street tires.I am hoping for the same times as the Turbo S (10.80s ish)and 2013 GTR at least.This is my first P Car as you say,Launch a Turbo S with PDK and you will see what I am talking about.However,I still will have my Gen V asap,because Vipers are just so Bad......
The Woodhouse Truck will be heading to South Florida soon.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go on keep using that LC in the ptt and gtr, you will blow them up. They can't handle the beating the way a viper does. The harder you run a Viper, the better driver you become, the better driver you become, the more reward you are given. Running a great time in a Viper is a honor, doing it in a gtr or ptt it is just given to you like a government handout, no real honor in that.

We know the car will be rated between 660hp and 700hp. Given that we know that this comes out to be about 550rwhp, the car is rumored to be a bit lighter. It would be easy to see a bad driver running 11.0@135mph and better than average running 10.8 and a really great driver pulling 10.5 A set of gears and some big sticky slicks that could net a 1.2 60ft time and get these cars into the 9's.

PLEASE SRT MAKE A DRAG PACK WITH HEADERS, EXHAUST, TUNE AND GEARS FOR DRAG AS A OPTION!

Last edited:

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has not broke yet.Dealer told me to use it,it is not a issue for the PTT S.The car was made for it and if it brakes,it is warranty.

The Gen V with LC and a Dual Clutch Auto would be insane and a easy to drive.If they announce they are making that I will wait.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no way the Gen V Viper will be able to do a sub 3 second 0 to 60 run like the latest versions of the Nissan GTR and the four wheel drive version of the Turbo Porsche regardless of the driver's skill set. A four wheel drive vehicle is the king of the launch and the 60 foot. As for the quarter mile as a whole, we will have to wait and see what the increased power and, hopefully, reduced weight,will do with what we already know will be a different tranny and perhaps, if we are lucky, a different differential. Maybe it will be able to make up the time in the mid and top of the quarter. For instance, the Supercomp dragster I drove had a trans brake and had a 60 foot of 1.191 seconds. It did 162 MPH in 8.245 seconds in the quarter. The Top Dragster I drove ( which was really a detuned Top Alcohol Dragster) had a clutch and a hand brake and had a slower 60 foot time. Yet it did 207.43 MPH in 6.793 seconds in the quarter. So a slower 60 foot time can be made up later in the course with more power assuming that power can be put to the ground. We will see.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen-4.8

Gen2-4.0

Gen3-3.8

Gen4-3.3

I see no reason that the gen5 cant bust a 2.9 0-60 mph blast

Also. Someone posted the genv will be 550 rwhp..

Daggoneit i get so **********!

The gen4 that has been out since 2008 dynoes 535-570 rwhp depending on the type of dyno and correction factor used! It already averages 550 rwhp.

Expect and yea thats right I said expect the genv to dyno 630 rwhp. Its a massive 8.7 liter so expect 630 tq.

This is gonna be a 700 hp 700 tq car breathed through a 8.7 liter engine.

Minds are gonna be blown!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V engine is an 8.4 liter engine. Dodge officially stated that the 8.7 liter figure was not true very soon after the rumor started. The ACRX, among other things, was a research platform. It has an 8.4 liter engine with forged pistons. It is a good bet that the revised 8.4 liter engine in the Gen V has forged pistons and other enhancements that allow it to breath better and permit a more robust utilization of the engine's capabilities. I'm sticking with a guesstimate of 660 HP/ 620 TQ with a less probable guess of 700 HP/660 TQ - all at the flywheel. As for a sub 3 second zero to 60, its not going to happen in a two wheel drive vehicle with stock tires on. With slicks on and a perfect launch, could be possible. It will also depend on whether a shift is required before 60. The Gen V has a six speed manual - not lightning fast paddle shifting like the GTR and the Porsche. For drag racing purposes, I hope that paddle shifting as fast as the GTR's becomes an option in the future for the Gen V. Listening to the GTRs shift at the strip is interesting. The shifts are perfectly spaced and incredibly fast.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet that whatever horsepower numbers if any are given next month won't be final or may be a stated range. I don't think you'll have anything definite until 2 or 3 months before they sell the first one to the public when they ante up a car for the press to test drive.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This. The Mustang is a muscle car and not in the Viper's class. Now if i was driving that rolling chicane called Challenger I could see the worry. Stock Laguna Mustangs are already in the 11's and are quicker around a road course too. Challenger and Camaro are gonna need a weight loss program.
The rumor is an "SRT" Barracuda that will be smaller and lighter with a 7 liter = "426 Hemi" hence the 426 Hemicuda returns! I heard this engine will be a bored and stroked 6.4L and being worked on at mopar Performance and is making well over 700HP NA. So this is more of the Muscle car class, As the Viper is considered Super/exotic car class. NO?

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mustang is a different target market than Viper. I personally am not interested in a base car with a long list of options to get it to compete with purpose built cars. That is why I went with a Viper over a Corvette.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend with a Mustang that will beat your Viper.

Ha ha - good one! Is it one of the one's below:

attachment.php

If you're serious you had better have your flame-boy suit on!!!

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. It's a Boss 302 with a pulley and tune pushing 1186 to the wheels. He just did the mile pass at 271.38mph on pump gas. He went down to TX2K11 last year and pulled on a Supra so hard that he had time to beat it, stop, get out and wave and the Supra as it passed by. He hasen't been beat yet, but if it ever gets too close he has a 200 shot of nitros that will add another 300 at the wheels. He doesn't even race turbo Hyabusas anymore, they aren't even worth the gas to beat them.

Bne stock, nothing but bolt ons. Vipers are just slow, but Ford GTs are still awesome, just slow now days.

Anyone wanna buy a brigde....cheap?