Does anybody make grounding kits for the Vipers?

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 94 RT/10 that I just bought hopefully arrives in the next 1-2 weeks. I was just curious, does anybody make custom grounding kits specifically for the Viper? I did some searching and only found some people linking to the universal kits.

I have a side-business that manufactures parts for Nissan and Infiniti, and we do make custom hand-made kits for some of those cars. I could make one for the Viper, but curious to see if there is already one (or more) out already?

If not, has anybody made one before? If so, have you seen any benefits? What grounding points did you use? How many wires did you use?

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked into this a while back and there did not seem to be any kits available. My interest was that the VEC seemed to have some electrical gremlins and I thought an improved grounding system might help it. I never actually implemented anything as the consensus seemed to be that the benefit was doubtful and the 'electrical' gremlins were cured through other than electrical means.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make one specifically for the Viper - probably not. I have had this installed on my Viper for about 2 years now, and 2 other cars.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/productsorder-display.cfm?id=30787&reff=SMX

The nasty part of this install on a Viper, is that the + battery terminal in the engine compartment is fine, but you must run a long lead from the negative battery terminal from battery in the rear, to the engine compartment. No big deal, I ran #4 wire for the negative connection.

GotA350ZTT,
Obviously you know the function of these and their function.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Later,

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FROG,
here are 3 more links, with lots of details as to what they do:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/AP...EM_p_3400.html

http://www.4myride.com/index.cfm?cmd...il&pId=4001982

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/8/apexi.shtml

Basically:
What does it do? The stock ground is to the chassis or body, and is a huge energy sink. The Grounding kit equalizes the ground; one wire to chassis, one to engine block, one to alternator mount. In lay mans terms, it kinda acts like a capacitive discharge ignition system, only for the ground giving a steady voltage flow. The injectors always get the same voltage (no fluctuation), the coil packs get the same voltage, etc. The car will get more HP, better gas mileage, and run smoother.

Later,

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read all the links in detail, but I'm gathering that there is a drain from time to time on the battery, causing fluctuation in the voltage supply. So, why not just install a 1 Farad Cap to help regulate the voltage. Heck a 1/2 farad would do the trick too! The cap will sustain the necessare voltage for the system to have a maximum current at all times. May be a good experiment...

Oh yea... they are only about $50.00 too!

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 RT/10 that I just bought hopefully arrives in the next 1-2 weeks. I was just curious, does anybody make custom grounding kits specifically for the Viper? I did some searching and only found some people linking to the universal kits.

I have a side-business that manufactures parts for Nissan and Infiniti, and we do make custom hand-made kits for some of those cars. I could make one for the Viper, but curious to see if there is already one (or more) out already?

If not, has anybody made one before? If so, have you seen any benefits? What grounding points did you use? How many wires did you use?

You don't write, you don't call...now you're a Viper owner and I'm the last to know....real cool pal, real cool. ;)

Congrats Dave. When you get 'er, we gotta get together.

ETA: Sorry for the OT! :D

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't write, you don't call...now you're a Viper owner and I'm the last to know....real cool pal, real cool. ;)

Congrats Dave. When you get 'er, we gotta get together.

ETA: Sorry for the OT! :D
Haha, what's up Kelly! well I haven't gotten it just yet....I just wired the money over (now I'm having trouble getting a hold of the owner...getting a little worried :omg:). Hopefully if all goes well I'll have the car in the next 1-2 weeks. I'll give you a buzz for sure once it comes in!