Does anyone get asked this.....

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't owned my car long and i have already had a few people ask me when they see my car "Is that a corvette" I just smile and say no, its a Viper. Then they say something like well its nice what ever it is. Now i know everyone is not a car buff, but come on, what part of this car looks like a corvette?:dunno:
Does anyone one else run into this?

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once, I had a man ask what I had. I said, "Viper" He said, "I told you it wasn't a Corvette!" to his wife in the passenger side of his truck.

Most people think they have V12 engine.

Also, a lot of people have never seen one in real life. It is also rare to see them on tv.

Seriously, if they are standing right next to the car I would not even speak to them if they can't read the badges. Everyone also thinks my car is an $80,000 car.

Another thing, if Dodge doesn't advertise the hell out of the new Viper it will never sale. A lot of people tell me they don't make Vipers anymore and this was in 2008!!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't owned my car long and i have already had a few people ask me when they see my car "Is that a corvette" I just smile and say no, its a Viper. Then they say something like well its nice what ever it is. Now i know everyone is not a car buff, but come on, what part of this car looks like a corvette?:dunno:
What model do you have, thats exactly why I didn't look for one newer than an 02'(I always thought they looked too much like a corvette). But, since then I've changed my mind somewhat because of all of the nice ones I've seen on here. JMO & congratulations

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my car still had Red badging I would get asked that question on occasion. I changed my badging to Black and those type of questions stopped but other questions still persist; Is it yours? How much did you pay for it? I usually answer this one with more than I paid for my first house.... leaves them bewildered. These cars were $80,000.00+ when they were new and most people see a Viper and just assume that you paid that price for the one you have. When I bought mine and drove it to work for the first time I got responses like; must be nice to be rich! Are you Crazy? How can YOU afford that? etc etc etc. I'm retired military (21 years) and the majority of people I work with were never military and just assume the we are all paid large sums of money....WRONG... but I just tell them that "You have never been Military so you wouldn't understand what it is like to BE military" Enjoy your car I'm sure you earned it! Jeff

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not that they think it looks like a corvette. Its that the average person has never seen a viper up close and havs no idea what it is. In the shocked state that their brain is in the only cool car that comes to mind is a corvette since they are cool and have been made in Several diff bodystyes. They just assume they havnt seen this "new vette" yet

Its not a big deal.

If they seem very interested, pop the hood and blow their mind with the sight of the vipers beautifull V10:2tu:

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Only when I had my Gen IV

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got that a lot more with a 1955 Thunderbird than I do with the viper.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old guy at the gas station several times. And then generally from other people when I'm getting gas and then I get wow a Viper! That thing must use a lot ! That's when I look at the monster SUV they are driving and say ya, it gets 20mpg on the highway at 80mph. How about yours ?

--FQB

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Old lady next door likes to ask "Howz your little Corvette?" I think she knows it's irritating.

Boy down the street goes "why don't you buy a Ferrari?" Like after having bought a Viper, it's now somehow my responsibility to buy a Ferrari. When they drive a minivan... When are THEY gonna buy a Ferrari, that's what I want to know.

Viper Owner

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Too funny, well i figured it wasn't just me and the town i live in. And to answer a question asked earlier, i have a red 02 GTS ACR. And the speedo one is a good one too. Been asked that a couple times. Gotta love these cars. :headbang:

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing, if Dodge doesn't advertise the hell out of the new Viper it will never sale. A lot of people tell me they don't make Vipers anymore and this was in 2008!!

Agreed. They should all ready have "coming soon" commercials. Need something to combat the Corvette's America still builds rockets commercial which I think is one of the best in a long time.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. They should all ready have "coming soon" commercials. Need something to combat the Corvette's America still builds rockets commercial which I think is one of the best in a long time.
I don't remember if it was car & driver (one of the mags) but the 2012 Corvette's rear end looked like something the Viper should have come out with. It looked Awesome & Wicked, I really think the Viper's gonna be a big disappointment(as far as looks go). I know a few of you have seen pictures of it, could I be wrong on this? JMO

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never been asked that with my GEN 1 and GEN 2. ;)

When I was getting new PS2s on my Gen II last year, I pulled into Discount Tire (guy there had worked on Vipers & was very careful) and this, ah, zaftig chick from NJ comes right over and says what a beautiful Corvette I have. I smile and said, sorry, its a Dodge. She thought about that for a minute, and clearly, Dodge Corvette just didn't sound right to her. :) Then I told her it is a Viper. She wouldn't leave me alone after that. Nice gal, but my wife wouldn't be amused if I brought her home.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a guy I work with ask if it was a Prowler. I'm pretty sure he was trying to be a douch because he had a restored 69 Mustang.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A pal was doing some AEM tuning on mine in his driveway with the nose facing the house and the no cat no muffler pipes thumping out a 550 rpm idle into the street.

Two Bubbas in an old pickup drive by, turned around and came back to listen and look at the car. They asked "What is that thing" and without missing a beat, my buddy said "Honda", "its a new model"

The guys said "Dayum...best sounding Honda I ever seen"

We just left it at that. Its actually somewhat of a sport to see what people will "buy". Most who don't know will "buy" that its a Corvette or a Ferrari. Try to talk them into it being a Honda or a "Gerspracken Z" (from Germany of course) or other made up crap to see what they "buy".:lmao:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has no emblems so people circle the car looking for some clue. Pete on the taillight doesn't help them at all. I have had a couple of "*** is it" questions. Then when I tell them it is 14 years old they can't believe it.
The car is definitely standing up to the test of time.

Ron

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I've posted this response in a thread once, but I've been asked if my car was a Corvette and also if it was a Ferrari before. :D