Drag advice

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first ever drag racing experience was this weekend at the V-10 Nationals. The event was awesome! My best run was a 12.1 at around 115 mph, with a 1.76 60 foot. I was somewhat satisfied with my number since my car is relatively stock (exhaust and filters) and I only have about 500 actual miles under my belt driving a viper. But I feel the car can be driven in the 11's with the right driver or after more seat time.

I have a couple questions though, I am shifting between 5000-5500 rpm (light comes on at 5000rpm). Is that good with a stock motor? Also, with the stock gears, is shifting into 4th a must, or can I take 3rd further in the rpm range through the traps? An SRT-10 got a slight nose on me at the end of the track right when I had to shift into 4th. Which brings up another issue. Judging by my mph, you can tell I was granny shifting. I just could not power shift my transmission. Any tricks to shifting?

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With that 60' you should be in the 11's. your mph is a little low, try almost redline in 2nd and 3rd. and yes you always shift into 4th, just do it quicker.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Near impossible to reliably power shift a T56. Speed Shifting is more consistent. I fell victim to the power shift in the semi of super street at Columbus. I got three of them right at WOT, had a big lead, and could not get 4th. Cost me the race and the winners circle.

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ian

Those 60 foot times are great for the 1st time out. Shift it higher and faster. Your car will go right into the 11's and you will pick up MPH.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms you did a great job out there. I ran my best run all weekend against you and you got me. This was my first time racing as well and I had a blast. My car was a little underpowered but I got better each time. Look forward to seeing you guy out there again.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms you did a great job out there. I ran my best run all weekend against you and you got me. This was my first time racing as well and I had a blast. My car was a little underpowered but I got better each time. Look forward to seeing you guy out there again.

That was a great race! :)

I could see your front end out of the corner of my eye! Your car looks great, now go get that supercharger installed.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also remember track prep and weather conditions always makes a difference. With the same mods as you I ran 11.79 at 120mph and a 1.85 60' on Pilots with cool air at Beechbend, KY. So I agree your already there. Sounds like all you need is some good cool air. I have never matched the 11.79 here in FL.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rcdice I run MT streets and skinnies. columbus is a little slow compared to Norwalk. I ran 11.14,11.15, 11.19 with a 1.51 sixty. At Norwalk that would be 11.000s

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rcdice I run MT streets and skinnies. columbus is a little slow compared to Norwalk. I ran 11.14,11.15, 11.19 with a 1.51 sixty. At Norwalk that would be 11.000s

Those are some killer 60' times for a Viper!! How are you launching that thing? Wrapping it up and dumping? Do tell!

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best sixty was 1.375 at VOI. At Norwalk it does consistent 1.45 sixties. Depending on the track I come out around 5500. I preload the drivetrain by riding the clutch into the staging beams and holding it with the Line loc. Seems to work well. Made my own half shafts, They've been in for two years now. I only go to two or three drags a year.

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never raced....but may someday.
Can somebody tell me why it is best to redline or nearly redline when shifting. I figure if the horsepower and torque peak is in the upper 4,000 RPM range(Hope I am correct in those figures) and then tappers off after that...then why wouldn't you shift at the peak power before running to 5,500? Wouldn't shifting earlier to the next gear and building the RPM's back to peak power range be more effective?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the Vipers peak at 5400-5500. Cars with higher mods or bigger HP are shifting in the 4000-4500 range. Some run just pass peak hp-tq to make up for time in between shifts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery