Dragstrip Video

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a nice video taken at the drag strip with a GoPro camera mounted behind the passenger rear wheel well. It is approx 75 mB, what is the best way to include the video with this thread

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool view!! Fun to watch the tires slide a bit, almost like it lost traction. I dont think I have ever seen that view of a pass. Cool stuff. Car sounds excellent.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a clean run with a decent 60'. It didnt sound like you left that hard. What was your 60'? Nice driving and shifting.

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice video. 128mph for bolt ons + tune is hauling it for sure. What was the DA that day?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack was that the clutch slipping or did you pedal it for a second, before you made your 1-2 shift? I'm guessing you had the sealed back cover on the Go Pro housing. Nice video and great pass.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad pass. You can leave a lot harder. You have a 10.8-10.9 easy with a hard launch.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack was that the clutch slipping or did you pedal it for a second, before you made your 1-2 shift? I'm guessing you had the sealed back cover on the Go Pro housing. Nice video and great pass.

It is a metallic clutch (so slipping) so it is all or none. I was spinning in first gear all day so I would launch and feather in the the throttle. All the shifts were clean. It was sort of interesting, there was a a Gen IV that I ran twice, he had headers, heads and cam. He was trapping (MPH) about same or a little less less than my car. He dynoed at the track the same day and did 620 at the rear wheels.

Last edited:

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a metallic clutch (so slipping) so it is all or none. I was spinning in first gear all day so I would launch and feather in the the throttle. All the shifts were clean. It was sort of interesting, there was a a Gen IV that I ran twice, he had headers, heads and cam. He was trapping (MPH) about same or a little less less than my car. He dynoed at the track the same day and did 620 at the rear wheels.

I seen the vid a few times now. Do you think it's possible you need a little shock tuning? The car (at least from the vid) doesn't seem to squat at all. A little weight moving to the rear would really help.

EDIT: Digging on youtube I found this car too. It doesn't look like the weight goes to the rear. Both of you have about the same trap speed. If that SRT made 620rwhp, so both of you should be right at the 600rwhp mark yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1xZ_JmMck

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen the vid a few times now. Do you think it's possible you need a little shock tuning? The car (at least from the vid) doesn't seem to squat at all. A little weight moving to the rear would really help.

EDIT: Digging on youtube I found this car too. It doesn't look like the weight goes to the rear. Both of you have about the same trap speed. If that SRT made 620rwhp, so both of you should be right at the 600rwhp mark yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1xZ_JmMck

It is interesting, the cars look so similar and they are running nearly an identical mph. I was adjusting the shocks, the car has double adjustable Penske's. There are a lot of opinions on this, but, you typically tune for traction right on the line line or somewhere before the sixty foot mark. In general you don't want the car to squat, if the car squats that means the rear compression setting was too soft and the chasis is not forcing the tire down into the track. You would be right if there was unlimited traction everywhere. I usually hook on the start (a lot of VHT), however, i usually break loose about 25 feet out, that is why I have the rear compression set firm and the rebound set medium. One problem is that the front springs are set up for autox (too stiff for drag), therefore, hard to get a lot of rise even with the rebound set full soft. I tried a soft set of springs a few years ago and it definitely helped the dragstrip traction, but, they sucked for everything else.

My guess is that the car would be close in horsepower to the SRT in rwhp since we were so close in MPH in two side-by-side races.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is interesting, the cars look so similar and they are running nearly an identical mph. I was adjusting the shocks, the car has double adjustable Penske's. There are a lot of opinions on this, but, you typically tune for traction right on the line line or somewhere before the sixty foot mark. In general you don't want the car to squat, if the car squats that means the rear compression setting was too soft and the chasis is not forcing the tire down into the track. You would be right if there was unlimited traction everywhere. I usually hook on the start (a lot of VHT), however, i usually break loose about 25 feet out, that is why I have the rear compression set firm and the rebound set medium. One problem is that the front springs are set up for autox (too stiff for drag), therefore, hard to get a lot of rise even with the rebound set full soft. I tried a soft set of springs a few years ago and it definitely helped the dragstrip traction, but, they sucked for everything else.

My guess is that the car would be close in horsepower to the SRT in rwhp since we were so close in MPH in two side-by-side races.

I will see what I can find out about that car. The tires didn't look tall enough to be slicks. Maybe you two can chat, trade tips and get into the 10's. Or better yet 9's! What is the all motor viper record? Pump gas and race gas.