Driving fast

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will drive fast at one time or another,and i think you should enjoy yourself as long as you are sure the road ahead is safe. I don't mean holding the pedal all out until you are just a blur either. But if not for driving fast what is the point? I told my wife i would always be aware of the surroundings and the road ahead before winding it out a little just to blow the carbon out.She said 'yes,and one day i will find you in a crumpled mass with a death grip on the steering wheel,and the gear shift drove to the hilt up my dumb ****! I told her if it makes her feel better...just leave it there for posterity. She said she fully intended to do just that!:drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But if not for driving fast what is the point?

I have struggled with this question myself. In my younger years, I didn't think much at all about it. As long as I felt safe from a control standpoint or legal risk standpoint, I did what I wanted to as long as I was on rural roads.

After I bought the Viper, and went to a Viper Days event, I discovered that HPDE track days are a fantastic outlet. I no longer feel the need to do stupid stuff out on public roads. I do still have fun on a great road; but I don't think that I go fast enough to scare "civilians" any more. :rolleyes:

Wedge500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have found that attending SCCA autocross events can really help get the feel of speed and fun without having the added dangers mentioned above.

Rainer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driving fast ?
Why not !
Absolutely legal on German Autobahn - there is no speed limit !! :2tu:
Although in my RT10 it is a little bit noisy at 295km/h without top :D:D:D
Best time is sunday very early in the mornig because there is no traffic at that time and the Autobahn is empty:cool:
picture.php

Rainer

Rainer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After track events public roads are only mildly entertaining.

I absolutely agree with you!
Nothing more fun than driving on a track. (expect driving on high mountain roads :cool:)
But it is nice if you have the opportunity and do it LEGAL any time you want :D:D

Rainer

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dog, the deer, the blue-haired Sr.Citizen that confuses brake and gas pedals CAN leave you in the ditch. "Straightaway blowouts" of carbon are OK so long as a mechanical or road surface issue does not surprise you. Good, Grippy tires, properly aligned, are essential on a Supercar...

have fun and be safe

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...-blown-tire-freeway-put-crack-real-panel.html

Two more risks:

1. Idiots on cell phones and/or texting who suddenly move into your lane.

2. A medical event with respect to the Viper driver that results in loss of vehicle control and an accident. The road could be dry and empty. The car could be perfect. But, if you have some sort of medical event while driving and you are not on a track, unless an EMV just happens to be going by at the time, you are SOL. On a track, you and the car would receive immediate attention. Too many drivers are under the impression that their bodies cannot betray them at a crucial momment. It can, and does, happen.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I bought the Viper, and went to a Viper Days event, I discovered that HPDE track days are a fantastic outlet. I no longer feel the need to do stupid stuff out on public roads. I do still have fun on a great road; but I don't think that I go fast enough to scare "civilians" any more. :rolleyes:

Right answer!:usa:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the speed limit in the US (and most other countries) on the freeways you lost your balls ... believe it or not, but the German autobahn is the safest part of all roads in Germany. Proven many times by the statistic about accidents here.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just need to be smart about it.And to fix the wife worries let her take the car out a few times in a safe area and open it up.I know i know am i crazy.well hell yes .My wife has had the Viper up to the same speed as i have.Of course she would only look at the road in front of her and i had to tell her when to pass and what speed she was at.She may never go that speed again but atleast she did it and got to feel the rush.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I drive my car anytime and everytime I can...

You guys can make of that what you will......:drive:

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your wife could be right, but without chances, what's life all about! If you don't drive your Viper as it's meant, but a Prius;)
Most surely on a straight road you should be able to drive safe and fast at the same time.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving fast ?
Why not !
Absolutely legal on German Autobahn - there is no speed limit !! :2tu:
Although in my RT10 it is a little bit noisy at 295km/h without top :D:D:D
Best time is sunday very early in the mornig because there is no traffic at that time and the Autobahn is empty:cool:
picture.php

Rainer

:headbang::headbang::headbang: Now im liking that idea :2tu: I enjoy track stuff but what does worry me when on track is that over here in the UK you share the track with many other cars, some of the guys Ive seen on track are not aware of a Vipers capabilities, and sometimes cars get pretty close to each other. If I'm on a Highway which is pretty empty I feel safer opening the car up a bit than I do on a track ;) But of course you are then always looking for the Radar traps ;)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the speed limit in the US (and most other countries) on the freeways you lost your balls ... believe it or not, but the German autobahn is the safest part of all roads in Germany. Proven many times by the statistic about accidents here.

Absolutely correct. In Germany, drivers respect the left lane and actually look in their mirrors before changing lanes; they're predictable in their adherence to the written and unwritten rules of the road.

In the US, 10% of drivers pay complete attention, another 20% pay some attention and the rest are eating, talking on the phone, texting or think they have a right to do whatever maneuvers they want whenever they want.

Its not the drivers that want to do 150 that worry me, its the texting idiot drifting into a lane at the wrong time:omg:

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, yesterday when the GTS arrived,i just had to drive down to the store a couple miles down the road..the wife asked me to pick up a gallon of milk ..no problem..but when i got there i just couldn't stop and decided to go down a few more miles to the next little store...I just wanted to drive! So,about forty stores later,i figured i'd best get back home in case the better half was worrying..I got home and she asked 'what took you so long?'...then 'where's the gallon of milk you went for? OOPS! ...so,being the trooper i am i hopped in the gts and off again for milk...just have to find an appropriate store. ;)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After track events public roads are only mildly entertaining.

I agree and disagree depending on the area you live in. I have some very nice/challenging/fun backroads near me with minimal traffic but i understand that many people live in areas where the roads **** or have too much traffic on em.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. In Germany, drivers respect the left lane and actually look in their mirrors before changing lanes; they're predictable in their adherence to the written and unwritten rules of the road. In the US, 10% of drivers pay complete attention, another 20% pay some attention and the rest are eating, talking on the phone, texting or think they have a right to do whatever maneuvers they want whenever they want. Its not the drivers that want to do 150 that worry me, its the texting idiot drifting into a lane at the wrong time.................

1000% agree......The above is the crux of the hiway congestion and safety problems in the US. If only US drivers would be more like their better-trained European counerparts, and use the proper lanes for cruising, and the proper lane for all passing.

If you are NOT PASSING someone, move the helll over dammmmit.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do both.

I do track the car and that is a great way to explore your limits, you will probably never reach the car's potential.

I ocassionally "let 'er rip" on the road, it's such a rush, but I do pick my time and place very carefully.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoy highway pulls. However, track/auto-x/winding roads are also a blast. Doing anything with traffic on a public road is not the best move.

Nick

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday while returning home from filling my gas tank. I came up behind a 69 Mach 1 428 cj...well,the guy was really pestering me like he wanted to race.He would slow down to thirty or forty on curves and then speed back up to about fifty five on straights. Then he started gunning it and then slowing down real quick..I tried to just ignore him for a long time but when we came upon a mile long straight stretch i had had enough. I popped back to fourth and whizzed by him in a heartbeat.He apparently hadn't had enough since he flew back up behind me. Well,i hate to admit it,but i motioned him to pull alongside.From about thirty,we both let er rip.I blew his ponies away like they were shetlands. No contest at all. I have to get used to every guy who thinks he has what it takes to slay the beast,so no more road racing. It's just not worth it.But sometimes it does feel good. I won't get into anymore street races.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I ocassionally like to "let her stretch" but around here the police are unmerciful & will slam you to the ground, impound your car,& I'd hate to think about what my insurance would rise to.Also, our region recently had a member seriously injured in a street race.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting that I seem to get speeding tickets in Pickups and Stealth TTs, not ever in any pf My Vipers.

I do like that my Gen 2 14" braked viper stops within 10' of the fastest cars in the world. I expect that I can stop my Viper from 100mph about the same distance as the Pickup at 60mph - and I drive appropriately.

I also seem to hit Moose and Deer in pickups and SUVs, never in a hp car.

Pruis' just got recalled for bad brakes. Hondas - anyone ever drive one and see if they still come with 9" brakes and 4" wide tires?

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually i live out in the country and the roads are pretty good. I can open her up for short distances safely on some parts .I don't mean really wind her out but hitting 100 or so just to feel the beast within soothes me enough.Always alert and know these roads very well..Still,i don't plan on doing much hi-speed running.Just feels good once in a while to get that rush.I just found out you can adjust the pedals by turning the little button.Nice surprise as i am only five nine! lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang