Driving in the rain with turbos

3520henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys do that run turbos and get caught in a rainstorm? I have air filters on mine and they are tucked up under the front of the car, but would they **** up water? I have not been in one yet, but just checking if I should be worried? Thanks

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no worries unless your submerging the front bumper lol!!! Little rain aint goin to hurt them, on my dodge diesel on rainy days really rainy days my egts actually drop when a little water gets thrown up by my AFE filter lol!!!

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys
Recently posted (Rain Kills Engine) because I got caught in some Heavy rain & engine started missing badly enought that I had to pull off Hwy & wait for rain to stop. Once rain stopped, it ran OK. But I only can drive on weekends, the last couple of drives it has a small miss & just doesn't seem to be running good. In the process of changing Filters & Spark Plugs. In normal rain it ran OK.:dunno:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"What do you guys do that run turbos and get caught in a rainstorm?"

A DIFFERENT ANSWER from long ago: Based on my own, limited experience with my new 1977 Porsche 930 Turbo (another wicked car for an inexperienced driver)...pull over, call a flatbed, ride home safely...and, retain the claim "never DRIVEN in the rain" !! :)

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Smart Man, the only thing wrong with that idea is if we did that around here, how much damage would the tow truck driver do ? ? :dunno: :)

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be more worried with what tires you are running. I know with my V700s if I hit a area with standing water my car will be all over the place. Very scary!

OP
OP

3520henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand about the tires issue, as I have drag radials. I also dont want to be out there with all of the other crazy drivers. My only issue was picking up water from the turbos and into the motor and have lots of problems with the car?

chnco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you pull as many parts off the car during the storm.

After pulling parts, make sure to call your insurance company to file a claim. It will most definitely be a total loss after the car melts away.

Best of luck!

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol at all the people who think he is worried about getting his car wet.... He is worried about the exposed air filters located low down on the front bumper sucking up a bunch of water and killing his very expensive turbo charged engine. I am also interested to hear if this is a problem??

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No problem with running the car in a "Normal Rain",just got caught on interstate Hwy. in a very heavy downpour. Changer engine oil,filter, air filters & installed new Iridium plugs & still has miss & bucks @ highway speed (70mph). Accelerates like normal, just won't maintain a steady rpm. Changing fuel filter & fuel next.:dunno:
Thanks for the Help.:drive:

OP
OP

3520henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks MAVPR, some people are missing the point, as I could care less if my car gets wet, its just a car. I take the car to Home Depot, mall, etc., its just a car, it will all be gone one day, and I enjoy it while I have it, thats what it is for. I just want to know what my limits are on driving a TT Viper on the road with rain as far as picking up water in the turbos.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok enough with the ******** answers. If it appears that your filters are in a high exposure position, then yes driving in the rain can cause catasrophic failure. It's not a turbo isssue, but a potential to hydraulic your engine by ingesting large volumes of water. Damage due to large water cosumption by an engine can not be solved by changing plugs and filters.