Dropped a valve

wkooiman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my 01 ACR to the track on Jan 02. In the third heat, it started sounding weird - no pop or anything, but it didn't sound right so I took it in.

The O2 sensor heater was bad, the PCM was bad, and the #3 intake keeper was in 2 pieces. The valve kissed the piston, and #1 was misfiring. The piston is okay. The valve guide is cracked.

I've followed Vipers since they were new, but I'm a new owner.

Are valvetrain issues common? If so, is there anything I should do while it's in pieces?

I've pushed my other cars pretty hard, and I've broken lots of parts, but I've never broken a keeper.

I wasn't pushing it very ******* the track. I don't think I hit the rev limiter, and even if I had, I would expect to bend a valve first.

BTW - I've been lurking a long time. Just nothing to say until now.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your engine problems. I've not read about any valve issues as you describe, so it is probably uncommon. How many miles on your car? Stock valvetrain?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
better make shure that it didnt pinch the ring gland, ask around to see if anybody has seen it on a viper motor do this, cause if it did, it will blow oil- i have seen this on other apps when the piston kissed the valve

OP
OP
W

wkooiman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx for the input. I feel better knowing it isn't common.

It has 14,000 miles and everything is stock. It even has the stock exhaust.

Both heads are going to a good machine shop, and they're going to check everything.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good time to port the heads.

I had some head work done awhile back. Similar circumstances however not stock.

Started by sending heads to a local reputable guy. It was a waste of time and money. Don't waste time with anyone unless they have worked on a viper before.

I know that the heads are not super special however they are not common. Seek out a vendor from this site

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To break a keeper, I'm guessing you would have had to miss a shift and over-revved at some point, maybe for a split second, then the stock spring couldn't keep up, then SLAP. Maybe didn't notice it at the time, but cracked the guide and weakened the keeper. The keeper could have gave away later.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very unusual. These motors are tough.

1. 14,000 miles isn't many unless it was driven hard.
2. Are they 14,000 true miles? Folks have been known to disconnect the odometer.
3. Was it modded?
4. Are there mods?
5. Could be driving style. Not meaning to slam you but every motor has its limits.
6. Could be the one bad motor that every manufacturer is a victim of.

They are solid motors. I've got nearly 40,000 track miles on my 97 and the only reason I'm rebuilding is because I don't have enough talent to make a 15-year-old 500hp car keep up with a brand new 600hp car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have seen a broken rocker arm on brand new 01 ACR...very likely "operator induced" from history given by new owner himself.