Dyno on my 94 w/minor mods- You ask for it!!

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made several posts awhile back regarding exhaust systems for my 94. I decided to keep the cats and loose the mufflers in favor of straight pipe. My dyno number before any mods was 352 RWHP on a bone stock car. The dyno below is on my 94 with on minor mods (K&N's, smooth tubes, and straight pipe exhaust). I was pretty happy with the numbers. I got almost 40 RWHP for very little $$$. Is this about the norm for these mods on a Gen I? Hopes this helps everyone who asked me for this information previsouly!! Sorry for the poor scan quality
You must be registered for see images

Max Power at rear wheels: 389.5
Max Torque at rear wheels: 457.5

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kurt! I am awaiting the arrival of my new snake-oyl sub assembly straight pipes and hope to have the same results. I also only have Roe's S&B filters and smoothies. Can you describe the new sound for me?

Jerry Walker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go Kurt.Good numbers for the money.

Hey Brian,I was thinking about the same set-up.Keep me updated on your impressions and opinions.Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Brian and Jerry,

Nice to see you guys on the board!!!

Brian, I wish I had know you were interested in the set-up and I would have let you ride/drive my RT in Hot Springs. It is louder, deeper, and sounds great at WOT. I do get some droning around 1800 - 2300 RPM's, but shifting can easily avoid this. You can check it out in May if your coming to Shrevport. If you have other questions, e-mail me with your phone number and I call you.

Jerry, what can I say. It's not a nice new red 2000 GTS, but until then..... I hope everything is fine with your car. How's life in a GTS compared to the ole RT. I bet you might miss it some this summer, although I think that even I could somehow manage to get accustomed to "real" windows!!

Hope to see you both in May

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again Kurt. Wish I had payed more attention when we were in Hot Springs!! I really only got serious about changing the sound fairly recently though. Called JonB at parts rack and talked over options with him and then decided the snake-oyl's were the right choice at this particular time and placed the order. And believe me, I will be doing everything I can to get to Lusiana in May!!

Jerry, will do! Once they are on you are more than welcome to come up for a visit and a ride
Love to have a photo of the 2 red Arkansas 00' GTS's in my driveway
Will get in touch with you.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what made you keep the cats and lose the mufflers? Did you prefer the sound? You mentioned that you knew someone who lost the cats too and that was really loud. Do the cats make it that much quieter?

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick,

The cats certainly do help in keeping the sound to an "acceptable" level in my mind. Also, per many previous posts, losing the cats will result in strong smelling fumes and other possible annoyences. I have heard good thing about the racing cats, but just don't know much about them. They are supposed to be half the size (length) of the stock cat, but still allow you to pass emmissions testing. Check out Sean Roe's 1/16/01 posting on high flow cats under the Performance Modifications section of the board

venemous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt, hey so what you are telling us is for optimum peformance with little money is to remove the muffler and get Seans hiflow cats ???
Sounds like something I would try if it wouldnt be too loud for my daughter who is 4 years old . Thats my biggest concern is the passenger side being louder and damaging her hearing
over the years.

John

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John,

I too have a four year old daughter that absolutely loves the "striped car". It is a little loud when starting in an enclosed garage, but with the top off and in an open area, it's not that bad. I have been considering adding the Borla cat back for awhile, but now that I have some good dyno numbers I'd hate to lose any HP.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang