Dyno ?

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in an area where there is a lot of money and a lot of nice cars. We have hot rod shops, race shops..... but the closest dyno shop is at sears point which is an hour away. Matter of fact all dyno's are over an hour away. So I'm thinking of buying one and setting up shop. I have seen a few dyno's in person, and I have done a little research (they are not cheap). My question is who makes one of the best? Should I go mustang dyno-I hear no.
Thanks

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want to generate numbers and not do any tuning a DynoJet is fine.

If you want to do tuning a dyno that can hold the car at a constant load or speed would be a big plus. I've used the Mustang dyno and it worked well for tuning but generated lower hp numbers than the DynoJet (wonder why the DynoJet's are more popular, huh?).

I've always seen the DynoJet numbers to be pretty optimistic and the way the tests are conducted they don't represent any sort of reality.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

Dyno Dave
"Inertia dynos ****!"

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm... So dynojet on one side and mustang on another. Are those the only 2 types available? The one I saw at seas point was mounted in the ground. Some superduper constant load thing that was about 3 times the amount that I'm finding on the internet. So lets say that half the people that come to the shop want numbers, but half want to tune. It would seem that there would be more money in a dyno that a tuner would do multiple pulls, and tune the car while their at it?
Any other advice..
Thanks

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For serious tuning, and applicability to all the new all-wheel-drive hotrods, the Dyno Dynamics AWD machine is the shyte. Variable loading etc = major tuning functionality. Here is the info page from a shop that has one.

http://www.dynocomp.com/tuner.php

As a business matter, remember that all the folks with AMGs, Ferraris, and other under warranty cars are going to have pretty much no interest in dyno services.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Your right about the ferrari guys. It's the hot roders and racers I'm hoping to grab. With sears point so close there are a hell of a lot of race cars being built from old datsuns to new porsches around here. But, the more I think about it the more I wonder if it's justifialble to invest around 60 grand into one of these. Hell, I could tune my car to it's hearts contents, but that will not pay the bills. Has anyone ever put their car on a dynopack system? This is a dyno where they pull the wheels off the car and bolt the axles to the dyno.