Ebay HID kits, are they any good? any experience with them?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been wanting to do an HID kit for sometime.. I honestly, do not drive the car at night often. So, I was thinking of trying one of there "cheap" Ebay HID 8000k kits out. Are they any good? a few related questions.

-What bulb is a 2001 GTS low beam? 9005 or 9006??(manual says 9005, sylvania website says 9006)
-6000k,8000k,12000k?

Ive heard the upper end HID kits are: Phillips,Mcculloch. Should I just spend a few extra bucks??

Last edited:

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a guy locally that can get a 9005 plug and play for 150.00. I always get the 6000 because of the whiter color, I dont like the blue. Also they come with a 1 year warranty, so far between myself and friends, we have about 6 sets with no problems. I dont know brand but there are good deals out there. I just ordered another set for my fog lights on my 06. The 150 is for both lights

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-What bulb is a 2001 GTS low beam? 9005 or 9006??(manual says 9005, sylvania website says 9006)

9006 would be low beam. 9005 would be high beam

Thats gos against every other search I did on this site... The other threads say the 9005 is the low beam.. oh boy!!. Im going to pull he bulb out before I order the HID kit to confirm.. Are 9005,9006 the same socket size? and one is just a double filiment, for high beams?

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

9006 would be low beam. 9005 would be high beam

pulled my inner wheel well off last night. Bulb is a 9005, for low beam..

Im thinking of ordering a Mcculloch 6000k kit.. They seem to be one of the best..

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pulled my inner wheel well off last night. Bulb is a 9005, for low beam..

Im thinking of ordering a Mcculloch 6000k kit.. They seem to be one of the best..

9006 is a low beam bulb at 55w, 9005 is a high beam at 65w, regardless of car make. If you compare the two, the 9006 will have a "cap" on the tip, the 9005 will not. Additionally, the bulbs have two different sockets. For those that want more light for few $$, a common mod is to alter the socket of the bulb with a dremel (takes 2 min.), allowing the use of a 9005 bulb in the low beam socket.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chimazo is correct. Also remember that that standard bulbs in the Viper are HIR bulbs, not your standard halogen bulbs. A guy on ebay sells them for ~50 bucks a pair, I think they are over 100 each if you buy them from the dealer.

I put a set of Toshiba HIRs in my Lexus with a little modification and they are great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9006 is a low beam bulb at 55w, 9005 is a high beam at 65w, regardless of car make. If you compare the two, the 9006 will have a "cap" on the tip, the 9005 will not. Additionally, the bulbs have two different sockets. For those that want more light for few $$, a common mod is to alter the socket of the bulb with a dremel (takes 2 min.), allowing the use of a 9005 bulb in the low beam socket.

ok, again.... I physically went into my garage, pulled my inner wheel well. This had never been apart before, the adhesive was still on the headlight backing... The lowbeam bulb, put in from the factory, IS a 9005. so, I need a 9005 HID kit, correct?? Im not interested in doing any dremel mods. I want a true plug and play kit..

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the original poster yes ebay kits are good but always be sure to buy from a reputable seller. I can't remember the guys name but I can look for it if you'd like. He sells goldeneye kits and I was given his name by some friends on the R1 message board. I bought two kits from the guy (1 for bike and other for car) and they have worked flawlessly for 6 months now with regular use.

I will always get 4300k the first kit I ever bought was a more expensive xtec kit and while it has also worked great I bought 6000k and there's definitely a drop in light output plus the color looks too purple to me.

BTW before I forget I have a quetsion for you guys:
Do gen II vipers have projector headlamps??

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the original poster yes ebay kits are good but always be sure to buy from a reputable seller. I can't remember the guys name but I can look for it if you'd like. He sells goldeneye kits and I was given his name by some friends on the R1 message board. I bought two kits from the guy (1 for bike and other for car) and they have worked flawlessly for 6 months now with regular use.

I will always get 4300k the first kit I ever bought was a more expensive xtec kit and while it has also worked great I bought 6000k and there's definitely a drop in light output plus the color looks too purple to me.

BTW before I forget I have a quetsion for you guys:
Do gen II vipers have projector headlamps??

Yes, Gen. 2's have projectors.... I ordered the 6000k kit..

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '99 Viper GTS service manual states 9005 - low beam
9011 - high beam

Ted

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the 6K bulbs are supposed to be bright white? Do they still show blue at all? The Ebay units look pretty good for around 80 bucks shipped...The Apexcones are 120 bucks plus ship...If I use my headlights 40 hours a year that would be a stretch...probably makes sense to go Ebay...Al

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the 6K bulbs are supposed to be bright white? Do they still show blue at all? The Ebay units look pretty good for around 80 bucks shipped...The Apexcones are 120 bucks plus ship...If I use my headlights 40 hours a year that would be a stretch...probably makes sense to go Ebay...Al

I just ordered a McCulloch, which will cost you close to $300.. But worth it.. I passed on the Ebay kits.. Not something I want to re-do in 6 months.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '99 Viper GTS service manual states 9005 - low beam
9011 - high beam

Ted
\

I find that interesting, and Taximan even said he has a 9005 (a high beam bulb) in his low beam. Which means Dodge puts a HIGH beam bulb into a low beam socket. Maybe that is standard for a projector housing? :dunno: The 9011 designation is for the HIR HIGH BEAM bulb.

So to correct my earlier post the Viper uses an HIR bulb ONLY in the High Beam location, not the low beam. I still find it strange that they use a high beam bulb in the low beam housing.

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score

6k has a purplish tinge to them
5k has a greenish tinge to them
4300k is pure white and only when you 1st turn them on or at certain angles do they have any color (this is the temp that factory bmws and mercs use)

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a 9005 set in the fog lights in an 06, they are 150 a set, these are 6000k

Picture_013.jpg

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks rmani, So which kit do you order. The 9005 for the low beam???...Al

Yeah buy a kit for your low beams and fogs if you want. I wouldn't recommend HIDs for the high beams because you can't flash them but I know of some people who have done it. I personally flash people to get out of my way all the time so this isn't an option for me.;)

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Below is a table on the basic colors of HIDs I personally think that the most looking white light is the 6000k, Some say that there is a hint of Blue in the 6000k which I kinda agree. The 4300 are suppose to be white but I think you can see a hint of yellow in them and I would rather have a hint of blue than yellow. Hope this helps.

3000K Golden Yellow
4300K Extreme White
6000K Diamond White
8000K Iceberg Blue
10000K Brilliant Blue
12000K Deep Blue

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I know is that my 9005 kit in my low beams is a lot brighter than my highbeams, although aimed a bit lower. The HIDs are so much better that I REALLY want a set for high beams. At high speed I want to see everything possible.

Ted

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got this off of Xenon Depot....Al
What is the difference between genuine XENON HID lights and Xenon gas-filled bulbs?
High Intensity Discharge (HID) is a type of lighting technology that replaces the filament of the light bulb with Xenon gas. The gas is ignited to produce an arc of light, when high voltage is applied. The amount of light output is three times that of a standard halogen bulb. The lamps also glow at a higher light temperature (closer to natural sunlight) that gives it its distinct color and appearance.
Other companies produce halogen bulbs that are gas-filled. They still have a filament as they are halogen technology, but the gas gives the bulb a bluer color when lit. Xenon-filled halogen bulbs produce little or no more light output then standard halogen bulbs of the same wattage.
"It should be noted that halogen technology is not comparable to the Xenon discharge technology, fitted as original equipment to more and more of the world's finest cars. " - Philips
DO NOT BE FOOLED BY COMPANIES THAT OFFER HID LOOK BULBS! They are not a true XENON HID light system.

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the contact info from the guy I bought 2 kits from a year ago. Both have worked flawlessly and were pretty cheap (under $150 each). Not only were the kits great but the owner was very prompt in returning emails and phone calls. I am in no way affiliated with him but he did do a great job so I wanted to pass along his info.

Joseph
XenonRider.com - Xenon Rider Automotive Xenon & Bi-Xenon HID (High Intensity Discharge) Headlight Conversion Kits for Cars & Motorcycles
626-378-8138

Please tell him Rohan sent you. I'm hoping I'll need another kit soon and I figure it can never hurt to ask for a discount since I'm referring business to him. I was referred to him through another guy on the R1 message board.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine