EBC Reds: No Fix?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I got one of your good sets then, as I have zero squeal and just a little dust. But *** you gotta do to make them activate the air bags like Chuck says the PFCs do? My big bad ACR equivalent brakes seem no better than my old Gen 2 stock brakes, and it has to be just the stopping power of those reds.

You may want to try bleeding them again, there is no way in hell they should feel even remotely equivalent to your old brakes! I still have Red's on my car, and I can pretty easily kick in the ABS system even in dry/warm street driving with them. The only other difference in the systems "feel" would be the Master Cylinder, may be worth a look to upgrade to the SRT version if nothing else helps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had EBC reds and could not get rid of squeak. Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and new rotors and I've been squeak-free since last summer.

This anecdote simply proves it was the old rotors.

There are about 15+ different rotor formulae-configurations, and 1000+ driving styles, while the EBC Ceramics have NOT changed (per EBC insistance-assurance.)

Im with Chuck on MY cars. I want Deceleration NOW, and I have a Calif Car Duster reserved for brake dust. It is blacker than a Black Viper, and works like new.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to try bleeding them again, there is no way in hell they should feel even remotely equivalent to your old brakes! I still have Red's on my car, and I can pretty easily kick in the ABS system even in dry/warm street driving with them. The only other difference in the systems "feel" would be the Master Cylinder, may be worth a look to upgrade to the SRT version if nothing else helps.

I can certainly feel the ABS modulating under braking maneuvers. But the braking distance and "throw you out the windshield feel" ain't there. And I do know what that feels like from other vehicles I've driven.

I don't suspect there is air in the system. I bled everything twice upon installation, and the pedal feels exactly like it should.

The relationship between braking "performance" and wheel dust has been discussed before. One synopsis was that if you want to stop fast you will have dirty wheels. My wheels with the reds stay very clean (and no squeak!) whilst my old GEN 2 OE brakes would dirty my wheels after one trip to the Quikie Mart.

I like the clean wheels part. Might start playing with the front pads though to see about the stopping part.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To those of you who said the EBC Redstuff pads squealed did some of you just replace the pads without either resufacing the old rotors or installing new ones?

I will be installing a set of Redstuff pads this weekend (thanks JonB and Partsrack). I had the rotors turned. The shop that did the resurfacing said that is one of the important steps that many people skip and they end up with noisy new pads.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put on EBC Reds for the street and no squeal. I did scuff up the rotors prior to changing the pads and followed the bedding procedure.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the rotors turned and they still sqealed.. i even ordered new ebc reds with new ebc rotors and they still sucked... ebc reds are a gamble plain and simple ..

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was told that the reds and greens swapped compounds within the last year or so. The new red ceramic supposedly produces much less dust than the OEM. i was getting tired of cleaning my car and having the wheels look dirty again after the first hour of a drive. I'll see this weekend if I made the right choice.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
EBC Red Ceramics work well on our SRT-10.

By my memory, the directions supplied with them specifically warned AGAINST "bedding" the pads or prepping rotors(ours had about 2000 miles on the OEM pads/rotors) since these Reds had an abrasive surface for that purpose. I followed their directions (for once...which was hard as they contradicted the directions for the 12+ sets of the GreenStuff pads that I had installed where rotor prop was paramount) and they are fine!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 2 brakes with slotted/crossdrilled rotors were great. Bought Roe Racing lightweight 1`4" brake kit and new (08) EBC Greens Bedded according to EBC instrudctions on website (all rotors turned Blue). Perfect, except instant black rims from all the dust. Called Jonb and switched to EBC Ceramics/Reds on all 4 corners ... and love them.

Got wheel alignment. showed daughter how great brakes work after 200 mile drive home and wheel alignment needed redo. Redid and now the wheel alignment again. Brakes work too good?

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4