Electrical problem: A/C fan diverter, pwr windows inop, airbag light on

Peyton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After starting the engine on my 2000 GTS, the airbag light stays on, the fan diverter does not direct the air to the A/C vents, and the power windows do not work. If I shut down and start up again, it all works - sometimes. Has anybody seen this before ? Is there a connection between these three systems that might be the culprit?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds bizarre to say the least.

The window power come from the PDC / fuse panel. The airbag would be controlled by an electronic module. Maybe the PCM as I'm guessing without my manual right now. The AC problem sounds like a vacuum problem.

BUT... If someone did a hatchet job of putting a stereo head unit in then all those are right there. You got a stock or aftermarket head?

OP
OP
P

Peyton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have the stock radio. No mods have been made. Until recently all three issues only showed themselves right after engine start. Last week I was driving the car and the problems suddenly appeared, all at the same time. I shut down and restarted, and everything back to normal. Gremlins. Perhaps in the ignition switck itself?

OP
OP
P

Peyton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure what you are refering to as I don't rhink we have communicated before. Would welcome any suggestions you might have. Thanks

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about a loose wire harness? It sounds like it could be all low voltage control wiring? It kind of explains the unrelated incidents and spontaneity of the events. Just a thought…

OP
OP
P

Peyton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The battery is 19 months old. Am going to check everywhere that I can for loose wiring. Will probably take it to a local shop that has worked on the car before and has produced good results. Thanks to everyone for their input. Will post the results of the shop visit when it is complete.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, last week I did just what you did, I shut it down, took the key out and put it back in and it started working again. But this week that trick no longer works, the accessories now stay off all the time, the power windows do not work any more, even the blinker lights do not work, but the engine starts up and the car drives like a champ, even with the "ABS", "Brake" and "Air Bag" lights coninuously on.

I checked all the fuses and the relays. My thought is that the accessory circuit is not reingaging after shutting off during the startup.

If anyone has any other ideas on what to try please let me know.

Thanks.

PS: 2002 GTS

Last edited:

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The size is Secure TORX T-20.

So I removed the Ignition switch from the car then dry turned it with the key a few times. Just out of curiosity I plugged it back in the car and now it is working, the accessories are turning on again.

I am guessing there was some oxidation on the switch, but since it is a sealed unit I cannot really clean it to prevent this from hapening again.

OP
OP
P

Peyton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the ignition switch changed and the problem is solved. Put on the billet power steering pulley from IPSCO and changed to silicone radiator hoses also. She is happy again.