Enclosed Trailer Opinions

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking for a used enclosed trailer with no luck. Whats your opinion of the 24' Haulmark Edge trailers. Any other trailers I should consider. I also looked at Pace but am leaning to the the Haulmark. I plan to order a trailer in a week or two.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On West Coast TPD Trailers-excellent trailers-I have two of them.Strong yet lightweight without using bendable materials like alum.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this trailer is to be used for hauling your Viper, be sure it has a side door in the right place to allow you to get into and out of your car.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a Haulmark slopenose with torsion susp. Couldn't be happier. Tow it with my Hemi half ton and it tows like a dream.

Although MY Haulmark has the door on the Left side, I have no problem climbing out of the car. If you're buying new you can order the door on the driver's side of the trailer instead of the passenger side. Passenger side door for safety and opening on the side of the road. My Haulmark is about 12-16" wider than my Viper, whereas my open car trailer is 2" too narrow to fit teh width of my Viper. Make sure you get the wide enough version.

You must be registered for see images

Ted

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an all aluminum Featherlite. It's a very nice trailer but it runs more than a Haulmark.
You must be registered for see images attach

MY600HP

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I shopped around and ended up with a 22' x 8.5' United Expressline slant nose that I'm very happy with. I liked all of its features including the fact that its only 6' tall inside so it has a lower profile for towing. The right side door fold upwards and is extra large at 72" wide (sorry, Z28 shown rather than Viper). It makes for easy in and out for sure. It has the smooth sides and is finished inside as well. The Viper fits easily inside without any ramps (although I added a two 2" riser ramps so I can get under the cars a little easier to strap them in). I tow with my Hemi Durango and you don't know its back there except at the gas pump - but it does well considering it is a 7500 - 8000 lb trailer when loaded. I think Trailer World in Bowling Green KY is the exclusive dealer for these models so they aren't too far from you.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 92

djj68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use an MTI trailer that i got for $8800 shipped to ND. They're a steel trailer built in Indiana and are just as light as an aluminum trailer. I used it to pick up my viper in St. Louis. The V-nose makes pulling a little nicer for a 2500 mile round trip. It will also fit 6 long-track snowmobiles!

Attachments

• pewter%20enclosed%20trailer%20001.jpg
    pewter%20enclosed%20trailer%20001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 62
  • pewter%20enclosed%20trailer%20004.jpg
    pewter%20enclosed%20trailer%20004.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 89

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 34' cargomate. Not for everyone, but lets me bring a full sized golf cart along with.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having used many brands of trailers over the years, the best we have found so has been Haulmark. Have had it for two years and have about 10,000 miles on it - no issues.

Regardless of what brand you go with, do consider E track floor straping. Makes life so easy. Also as previously mentioned, side escape door is a must. Believe me. I know! ;) Third thing to consider if you can, go 26'. Gives room for abench up front, extra storage space and you can transport a longer car (think Chrysler C body) if you ever need to!

Also look at a longer ramp to avoid crunchin the air dam on loading.

DSC_01341.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

DSC_01361.JPG

DSC_01341.JPG

DSC_0128.JPG

DSC_01261.JPG

Also if you can, get a cabinet in the front so this:

DSC_4131.JPG

Can look like this:

DSC_5724.JPG

Last edited:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long are those screws holding down that E track floor strap? Are they wood screws just going into the floor boards? If so, is it because of the large number of them that they are able to withstand the stresses of holding down the car? Of course, if the trailer flips off the road I suppose they'll rip right out but in general use are they really strong enough?

Bob

Reaction score
How long are those screws holding down that E track floor strap? Are they wood screws just going into the floor boards? If so, is it because of the large number of them that they are able to withstand the stresses of holding down the car? Of course, if the trailer flips off the road I suppose they'll rip right out but in general use are they really strong enough?

Bob

I don't like them either for these very concerns, but they are rated for this so it's probably fine. I like the D-rings because the floor is "cleaner" and you can keep it swept up better, not as many options but worth the trade off for my needs.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see the D-rings in the above photo. Do those bolts (maybe rivets) go through to some substantial framework underneath?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First you have not stated what your intentions are with the trailer. Here is one that i ran across on Ebay. Check Racingjunk.com, if you can not find a used trailer you are not looking hard enough.

The Haulmark trailer #320458216168 is now available. The high
bidder claimed their son bid without them knowing.

Please contact me at [email protected] or 206-350-7187 if you
are interested.

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First you have not stated what your intentions are with the trailer. Here is one that i ran across on Ebay. Check Racingjunk.com, if you can not find a used trailer you are not looking hard enough.

The Haulmark trailer #320458216168 is now available. The high
bidder claimed their son bid without them knowing.

Please contact me at [email protected] or 206-350-7187 if you
are interested.
That is one ugly piece of crap for $7900. They call it a Haulmark Race trailer but it has a rounded top, Haulmark Race trailers have a flat top. Painted ply wood walls and ceiling and white wheels, I think I will pass on this one. I can order a real Haulmark Race trailer with the Edge pkg, 2010, with alum wheels, alum int., full alum cabinets, nice flooring, escape door and much more for about 10K for a 24' and 11K for a 28'. Its not that I can't find a used trailer its the good high quality trailers are priced so close to new that I might as well order and get a 2010 with new tires and brakes and no scratches.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Obviously, an all aluminum trailer is better than wood. Check out Goldrush and T&E for custom trailers. Featherlite also makes nice alum. units.

Also, a gooseneck would be better in most instances, but it depends on what you plan to do with it.

I have not owned one, but do see Renegades fall apart quicker than other companies. We had a Haulmark Toter and it was top notch for an off-the lot vehicle.

Check out racingjunk.com. They have a bunch of listings.

One thing to consider is resale value. Custom trailers, like the ones from Goldrush and T&E will hold their value a lot better than a Renegade.

This is our current setup:

Good luck!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bob

They are actually bolts. Every 4" there is a stainless steel 1/4 grade 8 bolt on both sides and the underside has fender washers and lock nuts. Then on top of that I have metal screws going into the frame to further give me peace of mind. Yes, very secure. I have been told stories that if installed properly, there is a good chance that the e track will NOT rip out and may hold the car in a rollover situation however I feel if you roll your trailer, you will have bigger issues than if your car is sticking to the new roof or not! ;)

I don't like them either for these very concerns, but they are rated for this so it's probably fine. I like the D-rings because the floor is "cleaner" and you can keep it swept up better, not as many options but worth the trade off for my needs.

Yes, I will give much easier to sweep without the e track. I have a shop vac thhough and in 4 minutes the entire track and floor area are vacuumed. I stopped using D rings a few years ago when I learnt that the d rings were only bolted to the plywood and nothing more. I say I learnt that as a d ring ripped out while driving accorss a bumpy road someone for from home. Too much shear force on a 5"x5" chunck of plywood. I did reinforce the area below the d rings with metal plates after that and never had another issue, but when I got this trailer I decided to try this style. Both styles do work. All depends on what you are strapping down. I would not be worried if you want to use the d rings. Mark has put way more miles on their trailers than most of the VCA combined so...:D

I see the D-rings in the above photo. Do those bolts (maybe rivets) go through to some substantial framework underneath?

See above. Not always. Some brands will put another similar sized plate on the bottom, others just go into the wood! :confused: They cant really go onto a frame rail as there is not one in the middle of the trailer short of a crossmember, and even that can be narrower than the plate.

Its not that I can't find a used trailer its the good high quality trailers are priced so close to new that I might as well order and get a 2010 with new tires and brakes and no scratches.

Was in the same boat. I looked at used and for $1500 more, I got a new one. Made specially for me.

If you are looking for a dealer, try Metro Trailer: Enclosed Trailers, Semi-Trailers, Liftgates, Trailer Repair Parts. They are a family business and very helpful and they REALLY know their stuff! Although they are located in AL they will arrange for you to pick up factory direct strait from Haulmark if you so choose. You can even choose what plant you want to pick it up from. That was what I had done. I really liked being able to do that. Most dealers wont even give you that option. When it was ready I drove to Elkart, IN to pick it up. I was the first vehicle to ever tow my trailer and was also able to inspect it before it ever left the factory.

Hope that helps!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously, an all aluminum trailer is better than wood. Check out Goldrush and T&E for custom trailers. Featherlite also makes nice alum. units.

Also, a gooseneck would be better in most instances, but it depends on what you plan to do with it.

I have not owned one, but do see Renegades fall apart quicker than other companies. We had a Haulmark Toter and it was top notch for an off-the lot vehicle.

Check out racingjunk.com. They have a bunch of listings.

One thing to consider is resale value. Custom trailers, like the ones from Goldrush and T&E will hold their value a lot better than a Renegade.

This is our current setup:

Good luck!

Wow, Nice set up. Guess you gotta' start with something to haul cars around...

Who painted the "nature scene" on the side?...;)

Really nice....:2tu:

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GBS, the Featherlite you had looks good, I think this is like "ground hog day" and I think all the issues of trailers have been discussed before, please do a search and see if this is true....I still don't like what GBS did on the tie down, I don't like to put the straps on my wheels and cause rub-rash to the clear coat PLUS I would also cross my straps to put the equal pull pressure to keep the vehicle in the center of the trailer, the total aluminum floor looks good, but if the tires are wet or have amorall or tire dressing on them, the wheels could easily slide to one side or the other when you strap down like in your picture or if the roads are bumpy the car can literally hop to one side or the other...someone said they pull with the their Durango but although the Durango says it can pull the load, same as the Jeep, the problem is the wheel bases are shorter than a truck and have the tendency to bounce from side to side as you go down the road and especially if passing a large truck and getting sucked in...just my $.02

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have purchased a Team Spirit brand trailer, and since then 2 of my friends have done so too after seeing mine. They are built to order so you can set it up anyway you like, and were VERY competitive price wise. Also I see you are in IL, so it would be convenient for you as they are built in Indiana.

Just my $.02 worth.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jim....my post was to convince you to purchase new...now go order your trailer & enjoy

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what you are buying a trailer for.

If you just plan on using it for short hauls several times a year then it makes no difference what you get long as your car fits in it as you want and your tow vehicle can do the job. So in this situation the Haulmark is just fine, but a bit over priced.

However if you are using it often or for long trips, then you should be getting something lite. For example a 24' haulmark probably weighs more than a 40' goose-neck aluminum trailer, my 40' goose-neck eXiss car hauler weighs 5100lb's, an equivalent Haulmark is 14,000 lb's.

The reason is simple a good trailer will pay for itself in fuel and longevity very quickly.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess a good question might be to ask what is your tow vehicle? Everything we are telling you may be null and void if you are using a Neon or something like that! ;)

OP
OP
J

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess a good question might be to ask what is your tow vehicle? Everything we are telling you may be null and void if you are using a Neon or something like that! ;)
Tow vehicles are Suburban, Ram 2500, Ford 350, or a couple of Peterbilts. I just made my last pitch to a guy selling a 28' Haulmark Edge so if that deal don't happen probably ordering a new 24-28 this week.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except for the uber high end trailer (like TPD, Featherlite, etc), I've found for the Haulmarks, Pace, Interstates, CargoMates, etc, you can almost get a better price buying new than used. Top of the line 24' Interstates with drivers side escape doors run in the $8k range....a lot of used ones are in the $7500.00 or more (and don't have the custom features you can get new like drivers side door). At least that's what I've found looking for trailers on Craigslist, racingjunk, etc.

Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers,
George

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bought my Haulmark Race 24' (3,000#) through Jonb/www.partsrack.com for a mere $4,500 in nice shape with 2500 miles. My trailer is insulated with a couple lights and came with an equilizer hitch.

My buddy (VWIPER) bought a custom made 26'. Insulated, aluminium, extra lighting, extra tiedowns, escape door etc. for nearly $20,000 new.

When I bought my trailer one of the reasons I wanted an enclosed trailer was because I needed another garage. $4,500 compared to $65,000. No comparison.

Ted

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Featherlite is the top of the line and if you can find a slightly used one would be the best. I had a Pace and wished I had not bought it.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the E-track system also. In the locations that a connector is located I removed the screw and put 4 threw bolts in with large washers on the underside.

It is currently set up for three motorcycles. I can do a change over to cars in about 30 minutes.