Engine Help!!!

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This week has been pretty stressful and couldn't wait to get in the viper and drive around today. After I got on the freeway the car just didn't seem right. Every now and then the engine seemed to sputter, kinda like it wasn't getting enough gas. I remember seeing a post a while back about people having the same problem when the tank was around 1/4 or less. I was at 1/2 tank but thought maybe the gauge was off, so I topped it off with around 8 gallons. Isn't the tank 15 gallons? After filling up the problem seemed to go away, so all is good....

I stopped by a friends place for around an hour and then started to head home. After 3 miles or so it started sputtering again. I pulled into a gas station and popped the hood and started checking all of the fluid levels. Everything was where they should be. I started back up and everything seemed OK, but then after a few more miles it started up again. Since I was getting close to the house I kept going and it went away after a mile. Never had a problem the rest of the way home.

I am not a mechanic and never owned a car that need to be worked on. My extent of car repair was in full display when I checked the fluid level.....Thats all I know how to do. I don't even know how to change the oil. Sad isn't it.

Now the car is stuck in the garage until I find out what is wrong. If nobody has any ideas then it is off to the viper tech. I hear I can call Chuck Tator and he might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am very handy around the house and can do any type of home repair but have never worked on a car. So I am used to repair jobs, just not on cars. One day I would like to learn how to do all of the work on the car but since I don't have a lot of free time they would have to be small projects. Here is my guess what might be wrong, tell me if that might be the problem. Fuel pump or spark plugs?:dunno:

Edit: Forgot to say it is a 96 GTS.
Edit 2: Also forgot to say that the "service engine soon" light came on before the problem started.

Last edited:

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a 96-97 GTS. Did it seemto get rough at higher RPM? If so, could be a fuel filter. I would start with the simple things, although, the fuel filter is a pain to get at and change. Right Mike?:mad:

V

Venomiss

Maybe your region has a tech day? Even better you be the host and learn together with others.:)

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a 96-97 GTS. Did it seemto get rough at higher RPM? If so, could be a fuel filter. I would start with the simple things, although, the fuel filter is a pain to get at and change. Right Mike?:mad:

When it was sputtering I had no power at all. I would slightly press on the gas and nothing would happen and if I held it there it would seem like it was trying to rev up. When it wasn't sputtering it would run like normal. I didn't notice it getting rough at higher RPM.

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe your region has a tech day? Even better you be the host and learn together with others.:)

Tech day? Sorry I am new, just joined the club a few weeks ago. I would gladly provide food and drinks to anyone that knows how to fix my problem.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start with the easy stuff, unless you know for sure the history of the car. New plugs/wires/fuel filter. As was said above, possible battery, but use the resources above, the three guys listed are the best Viper techs in the country!

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't the car throw CEL P1391 if it looses pulse from the Cam or Crank sensor? I would think fuel filter myself or maybe fuel pump starting to go. Get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it to the schrader (sp?) on the fuel rail then tape it to the windshield. You should be able to buy a cheap fuel pressure gauge at Autozone or similar store. Needs to be able to read to at least 75 psi. The schrader valve looks like a tire valve. You must remove the valve cap and the inner valve stem on the schrader valve using a tire valve removal tool. The back of those pencil type air gauges often have the two prones for removing the valve. Then simply attach the fuel pressure gauge using whatever adapter fits the threads.

Pressure should be around 50 I think. My 06 reads 52, I assume a 96 is similar. If you're pressure drops when you experience the problem it would point to a pump or filter problem.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i ran into this problem with my 01. Sorry i dont remember what the fix was but was pretty cheap.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JHill , PM me your # and i'll call you with advice.
I had a very similar issue to what you are describing but would like to ask you more specific details before i diagnose.

I have read through EVERY thread on this forum related to what you are describing and spent much time talking to the wizard(who was also stumped) before finding the solution for my 1997.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very handy around the house and can do any type of home repair but have never worked on a car. So I am used to repair jobs, just not on cars.

the viper is a great car to learn on

the simple things are simple, the hard things are clearly beyond your comfort level so you get help

search (some vca venders or many show up on fleebay, ) for a service manual (don't overpay), you will be wrenching, enjoying, and saving time and money likity split

:drive:

post up your solution :eater:

viperlaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would recommend you talk to the folks at Tomball Dodge about your problem. In addition, they are going to host a Viper day and tech session at their facility on June 12. Look for details on houstonvca.com.

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend you talk to the folks at Tomball Dodge about your problem. In addition, they are going to host a Viper day and tech session at their facility on June 12. Look for details on houstonvca.com.

I am available June 12 for the Tech session. Do I have to sign up for it or just show up? I heard I need to get put on the Houston email list. I will send you a PM with my email address.

Here is the latest update on my problem. I spoke with Dom426h and he said he went through the same problem or something very similar. Out of his research he came up with 3 possible issues: Battery, O2 sensor, and cam/crank sensor.

I edited the first post saying the "service engine light" was on. Dom said I could take the car up to autozone and they could tell me the reason the light was on. That might tell me exactly why I am having a problem.

Since the engine light was on yesterday I got in the car to take it to Autozone. And of course the light is no longer on. Drove around for a little while in hopes it would come back on, but of course no luck.

When I started the car it seemed to struggle for a split second. I am going to go ahead and change out the battery and the spark plugs since I don't know the last time they were changed.

If anyone in the Houston area wants to help change the battery and spark plugs let me know. I will provide food and beverages. There is no set date on when I am going to do the work so if you want to help just let me know when you can make it and I will try to work around your schedule. My house was also owned by a famous Houstonian so you might want to check out the house too. :D

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the viper stores codes? My other car does and the dealer can pull up old codes from years ago. Might want to check into that but for same reason I think i remember hearing the viper doesnt but chuck tator would know.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
right, even though the light is not on, the code might still be stored. Go back to autozone and tell them your light was on then off and you'd like for them to plug the reader in to see if there is any stored code:2tu:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FORGET Autozone ... just go buy your own reader. They can be used on multiple cars and will save you all the stress and planning when you throw a code.

Got a check engine light on my truck last week just from leaving the gas cap loose. Took two days for it to clear just as I was on my way to the auto parts store to buy a reader. After lots of research, I'm going to get a reader and just put it away for when the time comes. My SCT works on my Viper, but I'm not sure it will work with other systems. Anyone know for sure?

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FORGET Autozone ... just go buy your own reader. They can be used on multiple cars and will save you all the stress and planning when you throw a code.

Got a check engine light on my truck last week just from leaving the gas cap loose. Took two days for it to clear just as I was on my way to the auto parts store to buy a reader. After lots of research, I'm going to get a reader and just put it away for when the time comes. My SCT works on my Viper, but I'm not sure it will work with other systems. Anyone know for sure?

My father bought one a long time ago. I wonder if that will still work.:dunno: From what I remember he spent around 300 bucks. I will give him a call and see if he still has it. Thanks for the idea. But I have an Autozone 1/2 mile from my house so it isn't a big deal running over there.

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an update. The engine light just can't back on today so I ran over to autozone and had them pull the codes. Looks like the problem is the O2 sensor. They said it was the front sensor on the pasanger side. The only brand they had was bosch. What brand do you guys recommend?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an update. The engine light just can't back on today so I ran over to autozone and had them pull the codes. Looks like the problem is the O2 sensor. They said it was the front sensor on the pasanger side. The only brand they had was bosch. What brand do you guys recommend?

I would double check the wire harness didn't become detached before buying a new O2 sensor. A Bosch direct replacement should be fine if the sensor is actually bad.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bosch is fine, but if I remember right, their computer has the wrong part number for the front sensors. If it is still the same, they will try to give you a couple of rears. If I remember right, the part number for the fronts is -13100

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would replace the plugs, the fuel filter, both front 02 sensors, Bosche should be fine - MOPAR is usually best and do an oil change. K&N filters would mean cleaning time?

When you do the spark plugs on the passenger side remove the top of the heater box or you'll find it an impossible job. Do 1 spark plug at a time. I'd email and get a set of ABs plug wires (Blue like your car) with heat shields.

oxy sensors are EASY to change from under the car. expect about 5 minutes each after jacking and setting up jack stands.

Great set of jobs to start with. I think that there is an Illustrated Upgrade on oil changes (with pics) on that forum as well.

Ted

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JHill, I felt a little relief when you posted that you are not much of a car repair guy. I was starting to feel like I was the only one who didn't know a lot about cars. I can fix anything on the house, electrical and plumbing included and can rebuild a PC from the ground up with bandaids and bailing wire, but I cringe every time I open the hood on a car.

It's also a great feeling to know that there are so many helpful people on the forums that can assist you when your baby is not feeling well. It's worth being in the club just for the info and help you can get.

I'm struggling with the check engine light coming on and off constantly with no poor performance, and hope it's something simple (as I've read the threads).

Good luck with your repairs.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy an OBD reader and check the codes - simple.

turn key 'ON', key off, key ON, key OFF, Key ON and wait for the CEL to start to blink. Count flashes and write down the numbers. There will be pauses between the numbers and longer pauses between the several numbers of engine code.

Ted