Engine Light.....what ?????

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not driven my RT in 3 weeks. It has no mods. I started it up this morning and let it idle for about 15 minutes. When I got in the car I noticed the check engine light was on. I did replace the gas caps with a lock gas cap about 2 months ago. So I decided to put the factor gas cap back on. The engine still stays on. I drove it on the beltway 50 miles and the light is still on. It drives and rides just great. It just passed state emissions 4 weeks ago. I am thinking maybe I put some bad gas in it. Sometimes I go to these discount gas stations to fill up. Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it to my Viper tech?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gas cap or cat code i bet. mine went back in the day when the weather changed. tator told me not to worry about it. clear it and drive.

just get the code to be sure what it is

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These site hasve a wealth of information on ODB (On-Board Diagnostic) codes...

ODB-Codes.com

ODB II

You can do a Google search for ODB II Scanners and get links to many.

I use an Actron CP9125 because I only need to find out and then erase codes. They can get a lot more sophisticated, but that costs more money. Mine was in the $50-$60 range. It's worked fine for me

Last edited:

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't care about the code, you might be able to clear it by R&Ring the ECU/ECM fuse . . . others will correct me if I'm wrong. This will also reset all the adaptives (which is not a bad thing to do once in awhile).

OP
OP
C

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not driven my RT in 3 weeks. It has no mods. I started it up this morning and let it idle for about 15 minutes. When I got in the car I noticed the check engine light was on. I did replace the gas caps with a lock gas cap about 2 months ago. So I decided to put the factor gas cap back on. The engine still stays on. I drove it on the beltway 50 miles and the light is still on. It drives and rides just great. It just passed state emissions 4 weeks ago. I am thinking maybe I put some bad gas in it. Sometimes I go to these discount gas stations to fill up. Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it to my Viper tech?

Well the very next day after replacing the gas cap and driving for 50 miles I started her up and let her idle for 10 minutes and the check engine light went out.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it gently (no WOT) on roads you know for 5-6 minutes ought to be better than idling for 10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang