Ethanon-free Gas in NC

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a place in Wake Forest, NC that sells ethanol-free 93 octane gas. Thought I'd gas up there (that's where WF police fuel their vehicles) for the trip over to Asheville:

Holding Oil & Gas
534 South White St
Wake Forest, NC 27587

Anyone been to this service station in Statesville -- Forest Heights Fuel 925 N Center St, Statesville. This looks to be right off I-40 and supposedly sells 93 octane ethanol-free gas.

Does anyone know of stations in Asheville and Hendersonville that sell ethanol-free 93 octane gas? Thanks.

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw those two stations and the google street view didn't look promising. I guess since we're driving the stuffing out of them this weekend it isn't as critical as having ethanol-free in the car over the winter time.

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas has a lot more BTUs per gallon than ethanol, and I've found that my Honda Accord runs much better on pure gas. With E10, the Accord is very cold natured and really needs to warm up for 5 minutes before it drives well. Not so with pure gas. Plus the ethanol can absorb water, which can be good. But it can be bad if the vehicle sits for long periods of time as you can have water in your fuel system which can lead to corrosion.

I got curious and went out to Wikipedia and found this: "The energy content of 1.0 US gallon of ethanol is 76,100 BTU, compared to 114,100 BTU for gasoline."

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The energy content of 1.0 US gallon of ethanol is 76,100 BTU, compared to 114,100 BTU for gasoline.

However, it is important to note that where it is used, there is less than 10% of ethanol contained per gallon. Offhand, it calculates out to roughly ~110,200 BTU for 1 gallon of gasoline containing ethanol. Which I would call negligible. The water absorption for most is a non-issue, but if you truly care about every detail of your vehicle, it is something to consider... Sometimes it can be good, sometimes it can be bad - location matters. Craig knows how to take care of his baby! :)