Ever Had to Replace Paxton Computer?

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious if any Paxton Novi 2000 owners ever had to replace the Paxton Computer that also controls (runs) the auxillary fuel pumps? And possible causes?

Recently cracked both exhaust manifolds, burnt 2 spark plugs and wires and fried the cats in my Corsa exhaust (Why?...I don't know but that's another thread). After all was replaced the Viper tech noticed the Paxton auxillary pumps weren't coming on. After discussion with the Paxton technical expert, they decided it was the 16 month old computer. I initially considered not replacing the computer (expensive) since the Viper tech could rig power to the fuel pumps to turn them on and I use an SCT tuning device to manage the stock computer. But, the Paxton sales rep (Micah was very helpful, thanx) explained it probably wasn't a good idea to eliminate the Paxton computer. So I decided to purchase it.

Based on the above info, anyone have this happen before? Did the heat from the cracked manifold fry the Paxton computer? Micah claimed this was unusual, but said the heat (cracked manifold) may have caused it. I'm looking for possible causes (and warning Paxton owners) so I can prevent it from happening again.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious if any Paxton Novi 2000 owners ever had to replace the Paxton Computer that also controls (runs) the auxillary fuel pumps? And possible causes?

Recently cracked both exhaust manifolds, burnt 2 spark plugs and wires and fried the cats in my Corsa exhaust (Why?...I don't know but that's another thread). After all was replaced the Viper tech noticed the Paxton auxillary pumps weren't coming on. After discussion with the Paxton technical expert, they decided it was the 16 month old computer. I initially considered not replacing the computer (expensive) since the Viper tech could rig power to the fuel pumps to turn them on and I use an SCT tuning device to manage the stock computer. But, the Paxton sales rep (Micah was very helpful, thanx) explained it probably wasn't a good idea to eliminate the Paxton computer. So I decided to purchase it.

Based on the above info, anyone have this happen before? Did the heat from the cracked manifold fry the Paxton computer? Micah claimed this was unusual, but said the heat (cracked manifold) may have caused it. I'm looking for possible causes (and warning Paxton owners) so I can prevent it from happening again.

I've heard of split second boxes failing. not a common event but it happens.

Step one would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if the pumps are coming on...which you have already discerned that they are not.

It sounds like you've been running lean for a while....hope the pistons are ok.

My bet would be the split second box failed causeing your engine to run lean which means it got very hot inside your engine which is probably why you cracked the manifolds, burnt the wires and plugs.

This "rig" you were mentioning does not sound like a reliable plan....without the split second or some other "piggy back box" where will it refrence boost?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did the box fail would be the next question. You checked all the wireing, fuses and connections?

OP
OP

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard of split second boxes failing. not a common event but it happens.

Step one would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if the pumps are coming on...which you have already discerned that they are not.

It sounds like you've been running lean for a while....hope the pistons are ok.

My bet would be the split second box failed causeing your engine to run lean which means it got very hot inside your engine which is probably why you cracked the manifolds, burnt the wires and plugs.

This "rig" you were mentioning does not sound like a reliable plan....without the split second or some other "piggy back box" where will it refrence boost?

Thanx for the responses guys. Wiring, fuses and connections seemed all good. The Viper tech did a bench test the pumps and they are coming on with correct pressure. I did decide to purchase the computer to let it continue to reference boost. However, I don't know what caused what to fail first--cracked manifold or split second box.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You get a fuel ressure gauge that goes up to 100+ psi. connect it to the fuel rail and run the car to see that the fuel pressure jumps from 60 psi up to 100 psi at WOT. If it does not jump to 100 psi at full boost then you still have a problem.

your cracked manifolds, melted plugs and wires is a secondary problem cause by too much heat.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FYI: Too much heat in the exhaust system is generally the result of WAY TOO MUCH fuel burning in the exhaust for some reason, generally accompanying a misfire- not a lean condition.

More than likely, the computer failed, didnt pull timing, detonation/pre-ignition ruined the plugs, engine began misfiring, pumped fuel mixture into the exhaust, and presto; tons of heat in the exhaust, cracked manifolds, etc.

Has anyone re-flashed the Split-Second recently? a fairly common mistake will turn the pumps on too late or not at all...

Last edited:

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my splitting box (Paxton computer) fail after 4 months of installing mine. One of the relays stuck on and held the one fuel pump on. Luckily I found it quickly and pulled the fuse to that pump. I babied it home and after the hard communications with Paxton they covered the item. It would be interesting to know if your box had a fried or stuck relay possibly making the engine run lean or rich creating the overheating and cracking of the manifolds. My car is a 98 GTS. I'd love to carry around a spar splitter box but at the cost of $1000 it's just cost prohibitive. Good luck and report back your findings.

Reaction score
I have seen the box have an issue but not that caused damage. The more common problem we have seen is the power and ground connections on the pumps themselves are not making good contact and or the "studs" that screw into the pumps had come loose or were installed without snugging them down. This caused an intermittent failure of the pumps activation. after finding and remedying this the system was working fine.

OP
OP

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI: Too much heat in the exhaust system is generally the result of WAY TOO MUCH fuel burning in the exhaust for some reason, generally accompanying a misfire- not a lean condition.

More than likely, the computer failed, didnt pull timing, detonation/pre-ignition ruined the plugs, engine began misfiring, pumped fuel mixture into the exhaust, and presto; tons of heat in the exhaust, cracked manifolds, etc.

Has anyone re-flashed the Split-Second recently? a fairly common mistake will turn the pumps on too late or not at all...

Fuel burning in exhaust must be why I fried my cats and I have been shooting small flames out exhaust on occasion which IMO confirms too much fuel.

Reaction score
OR your cats could have gone bad because of the extra fuel all the time and plugged causing heat build up and back pressure in the engine and manifolds. This can really damage an engine FAST. I would make sure your piston lands are all OK before going any further.

Fuel burning in exhaust must be why I fried my cats and I have been shooting small flames out exhaust on occasion which IMO confirms too much fuel.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OR your cats could have gone bad because of the extra fuel all the time and plugged causing heat build up and back pressure in the engine and manifolds. This can really damage an engine FAST. I would make sure your piston lands are all OK before going any further.

Yep, if the cats were damaged from the fuel issue, that would be the next failure in line generally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960