Ever have a cop pull you over just to look at your Viper?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a couple of times in my Gen II but my most memorable one was in my buddy's Gen IV. He got pretty much the first '08 GTS in SoCal and let me take it for a ride. I took a buddy with me who was considering buying one. I took off on a surface street and this car was a bat out of hell compared to my Gen II. Before I knew it I was hitting 85 in 2nd passing a parked Sheriff car. I looked in my mirror and saw his lights go on and pulled over. I did not have my license with me, no reg. no proof of ins. I was like crap I'm going to jail. The Sheriff literally fondled the car rubbing it with his hand asking all kinds of Viper related question and telling me this was the first 2008 he's seen, then he told me to slow down and let me go. BTW the guy riding with me bought one of the first '08 ACRs in SoCal.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, had a cop just run my plate to see what make/model it came up as. Nice guy tho, and I was already stopped getting ice cream so it was no problems.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, he used the whole "no front license plate" excuse here in TX. We talked about the Viper for a while, then he asked me if I had driven it over 140 mph, at which time I responded "Is this a trick question?". He said "No, I am asked personally, not as a LEO". I said "Yes, have you driven over 140 mph in your cruiser?". He said "Yes, but it scared the sh*t outta me, this car is not stable at that speed". He let me go without even giving me a warning. This was a Gen II GTS.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, pulled up beside a cop at a stop light. light turns green and he pulls in behind and flips on the lights. He claimed that I didn't stop behind the "line" so he could give me a ticket for that, but really he just wanted to see the car. So we talked about the car for a while and then I was on my way. best was when he asked, "How fast have you had it up to?"

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haven't had that happen yet, but did have a cop just a few months ago pull up to me at a light and rev the $hit out of his patrol car and looked at me like " you wanna go?". To which I just smiled and laughed, how much you want to bet if I would have took off I'd have gone to jail for drag racing lol :D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In the early days, 1993-4, "no front plate" excuses 3 times! All with 5 minute chats about cars.....no tickets, no paper.

in 1996 I had the GTS / IndyRam/ Blue Sloans trailer. Got stopped twice....once for "green fog lights" that were true fog-yellow!! Shining along blue paint they did look a bit green (Yellow+BLue=green?) No tickets. The trooper let me play with his LAZER GUN, showed me the long range of it, and told me how they target hot-spots on the cars. (big reflective headlights pointed right back at the lazer! )

That was the best stop ever......

Last edited:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Texas DPS officer flag me down a week after I got my Gen IV, just to check it out. He was a nice guy and must have really liked the car because he didn't notice the 10lb. nlock of black tar ****** ihad sitting in the passenger seat. :lmao: Just Kidding of course.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wife and I were coming back from Laguna Seca (the good old days) as we were being passed by a VW a cop turned around and pulled us over. He said we were speeding then we explained that the VW was passing us while he was pulling us over changed his tune and just starting asking a lot of questions about the Viper.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't had that happen yet, but did have a cop just a few months ago pull up to me at a light and rev the $hit out of his patrol car and looked at me like " you wanna go?". To which I just smiled and laughed, how much you want to bet if I would have took off I'd have gone to jail for drag racing lol :D

I had this once when I was about 17. The cops in the neighboring county had a pretty hopped-up Camaro and I had Fox body Mustang putting down 490 rwhp with the juice on. We had run into each other a few times when I was out and about and talked abd BS'd just about every time. He was always saying he wanted to see what it would do against his camaro, but he didn't get to drive it all the time.
Anyway, a few weeks after talking to again one time, I was sitting a light one night and he pulled up next to me and started revving the engine and telling me "let's go". There was nobody around and when the light turned green, we both hammered it. It wasn't even close he so far behind me, but he still had big smile on his face after I stopped and waited on him. The funny part is that that police force was known as the biggest pricks around, but I guess there was one cool guy on the force. Every time I would see him after that, he would always wave and my friends thought it was hilarious, because they were all so scared of the Duluth cops.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been in California for 10 months now, I was stopped 7 times in the 1st 7 months....thankfully nothing for the past three months. No tickets; thank goodness.

5 of the officers were really cool just saying they pulled me over for out of state plates (NJ plates in CA), but once they realized I wasn't doing anything odd or hopped up on something other than life, the conversation instantly turned to the Viper. They each asked how fast I've had it and that was 145 mph on the Chelsea Proving Grounds track at VOI X. (my group were all modded GEN III's (except me) who were a car length or two faster than me each lap, even when paced by the SRT engineer) The officers seemed pretty happy with my answers and 10-15 minutes later I finished my drive home.

The local officer who patrols at night and I met once, he drives by my house twice a night to ensure no one is anywhere near my car, nor anyone else's....and I'm cool with that.

My longest stop was on my final leg into SLC for VOI 11....about 30 minutes about an hour from the venue. No ticket, but the officer had lots of questions about the Viper and how I got it, why I chose it over other cars, etc. He was really a pleasant guy and I hope he bought a Viper for himself....I think it matters that we are ambassadors even in situations like this. The crappy part of that stop was all the truck trains and slowpokes I'd passed all morning.....were passing me while I was stopped. As for the front plate issue, I've always said: If this was your car, would you drill holes in the front fascia and affix a plate on it? They usually tell me that they are going to register this in their system as an official warning, but I doubt that actually happens. I've had my Viper 7 years now and I've been stopped at least 15-20 times and only ran into one officer who was a complete tool. (maybe he lost a girlfriend to a guy who drove a Viper, but I do have a copy of his dash cam video that I should post someday...he at first identified the Viper as a silver Ferrari)

Regards,
Aaron

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
happened twice since i got it. never got a ticket. actually the guy recognized me in my DD once and let me off...pretty cool guy

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Happened to me once, and my buddy as well a few weeks later, turned out the same cop. The cop owns an 05 Viper and pulls other owners over to chat about Vipers :)

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, first week I had it....got lit up, pulled over and the Officer asked for my ID....then tells me to get out and walk to the front of the car. Waiting for the cuffs at this point he just asks that I pop the hood to show him the motor. He seemed to enjoy the entire episode....me, not so much.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, got stopped after one week of ownership. I was being passed on the left by cars traveling faster than I care too. The CHP was sitting under an overpass and hit the lights as I went by, still being passed by other traffic. He had to weave in and out of traffic to get behind me, I pulled over with the windows down and engine off, sunglasses off as well, I like to look people directly in the eyes when talking to them. He informed me I was traveling 80+ I asked him why I was pulled over then when I was being passed by traffic on the left if I was going that fast, he took license and registration and ran me through the computer. He came back and told me to keep it around 70 and the CHP should leave me alone, then came the questions about the car. I was pleasant and he was pleasant and I went home without a ticket. He just wanted to see what that red and silver beast was that went by him! :)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had it happen in my gen 2, cops were a$$holes tho, pulled me over while turning into my cousins street, I was driving like an old lady, they ripped the car apart from stem to stern, broke dash clips, opened the smooth tunes to check (*** could be in there) and we overheard them talking to one another quietly "their has to be drugs here, too young to have this kind of car" and they were actually FURIOUS they didnt find anything.

at the very end cop goes "sorry for the trouble we just never saw one in person before"

had to bring her to Tators for new dash pins/clips

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah.... When they ask if they can search your car, the answer is a polite 'No'

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not in the viper yet, but once on my gixxer. Well a few times on my bike. But one time was because he wanted to look at it. We passed each other and he spun around to get me. Now i was speeding a little but just with traffic. So the lights come on i pull over and when he comes up to me i ask, whats the problem officer, he says i had u on radar speeding. Blah blah blah, lic and owner ship. Runs them and come back. With NO ticket but lots of questions about my bike. Its a Corona Edition, so it stands out a bit. He gets asking me how fast i have had it up to, im like u must be joking right, your a cop. He's like no, off the record. So im like well on a closed course, private property ( cover my self here ) i tell him just over 280km ( 175mph ) He's like holly s**t. He really said it. lol. So he was like so you didn't realy have to stop for me just now did you, and i said nope, normally don't. We both had a little laugh. Im not sure if he thought i was serious, i was laughing because i was. Good guy though, young cop. :2tu:

carlv12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

if all you guys know this problem with the police in your own country where the Viper is known, imagine what happens here in Europe!!!
Here you can see me with my Viper in the city of Valencia (Spain) talking with two police men. A german friend that came to Valencia and was waiting in front of his hotel - therefore he could take this singular picture
Regards

Carlos
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah.... When they ask if they can search your car, the answer is a polite 'No'

learned that the hard way, however these 2 did not seem like the "by the book type" they may have done it anyway.

after it happend I called the station and spoke to the sarrrrrrg, explained what happend and he said "let me guess who they were" and he knew which 2 did it.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it is midnight and I am out like a light in bed when there is a knock on my bedroom window and 2 flashlights moving around in the yard. I hear nothing at nght cause I go to bed listening to Heavy metal on a 4 CD player. I peek out the window which gets thier attention and go to the front door where all I see is lights. I open the door to see my neighbor, 4 cops and 2 cop cars greeting me in my groggy state and wondered what happened in the neighborhood to wake me up. Well it turns out my neighbor has been trying to wake me up for the past hour with knocks on the door and phone calls whilet I am out for the count sleeping. My nieghbor called the cops to make sure everything was ok because my Garage door/Man cave was opened and the neighbor was worried. After a few minutes of straightening out the situation the cops wanted me to turn on the lights and make sure nothing has been taken. They stayed in the garage for about 30 minutes looking over my 2 cars and asked all kinds of questions about them. They were all really cool and just concerned everything was ok.

So no I have not been stopped but they did seek me out.......lol

Bruce

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
So I'm sitting at a stop light, 2-lane road, 2 cars back from the light. The light turns green both cars turn left & I follow, now on a 4 lane road, I'm late getting home, what a shocker, I hammer it and pass both cars (no one else is around anywhere) and race off to the next light maybe 1/2 mile away, probably got to 100 or so? So way off in my rear view mirror I see flashing lights, great, I just go ahead and pull over in a parking lot & wait for the officer. I had my RT-10 then, top not on. The officer pulls up, and takes forever to get out of his un-marked car, so I decide to get out of my car, so i'm not staring up at him if he's yelling at me. Anyway he finally gets out of the car, was in jeans & sheriff's shirt, I think he was putting on his gun belt etc, and he ask's me whats the hurry, etc, never asks for license or anything, gives me a small lecture about speeding, and then ask's me a few questions about the car. No ticket, gets back in his car, as he drives by me a see a box of "take out food" in his passenger seat. He was one of the car's ahead of me at the stop light, and I blew by him, guess he was taking food home to the family.

I have a few friends who are offices and they are always intrigued by the car. I always tell them I'm calling them when I get pulled over, LOL, anyway never had a ticket in either Viper.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, been pulled over several times. The only ticket I ever received in the Viper was from a NY State Trooper on the way to TatorToga in '09. The ticket was for a broken speedometer after he pulled me over for allegedly speeding. Nice guy, he was more interested in the Viper than trying to confirm his radar gun reading of 114mph, lol.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my first day owning my gen 2, (I was 19) I go to walmart to buy the place out of wax/cleaning stuff for my new baby, so being very scared of people with carts ect, my dumb a$$ parks it on the sidewalk, I come out, 2 cops checking the car out HARD, told me "what was I thinking" wrote the ticket, but wrote it was a jag and put my plate wrong (guess who never got paid lol)

Then wants to be friends, asking all kinds of questions, as he was asking I got in and left lol

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

On the way to the 2009 Viper roundup, got pulled over by a DPS Trooper on the way to Austin. Says I have no license plate in the front, and I tell him there's no place for it. He agrees, then tells me another trooper has a photo pulling over a red GTS, and if it would be okay to take a photo of my blue SRT. So his partner takes a photo, and comes back. Then I get my camera and ask him to return the favor, and so you have the above photo. Lets me off, and I decide to take it easy the rest of the trip down. So I drive about 10 miles and as I try and get in the right lane, this guy is pacing me. So I speed up a little bit, and he speeds up. Slow down and he slows down. Now I'm mad, drop a few gears, and as I'm accelerating, I see him slam on the brakes, and think to myself, "Why did he slow..." boom, another cop doing radar catches me. This guy was a total @$$hole (overall attitude) writes me a ticket, and lectures me (you can either lecture, or write a ticket IMO, not both). I was so furious, I had my brother drive the rest of the way. So I went from both spectrums, cool trooper and a @$$hole cop.