Exhaust install help.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I believe I got in the last day of driving the Viper for a little while at least.

So..... I started working on the exhaust. I picked up a used "Mopar" setup from the manifolds back. I was told its the same as Borla, but don't know or really care either way.

Anyways I jacked the car up and tore into her today. About what I expected. A real job to say the least. Not awful, but of course a few bumps in the road.

First Problem: The bolts for the clamps broke off as I was trying to loosen them. See pic:

You must be registered for see images attach

So I now need to get these off. I assume cutting them is the only solution here. Also any suggestions on replacements?

Second Problem: Hooking the "L" shaped pipe with the flex in it to the Muffler. Does this look right?

The pipe slides into the muffler, but its very loose????

From there on out im good, but need to get past these obsticles.

Any help???

-Tim

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pity on the clamps. Well, that I threw all mine away when I did my side exhaust. Fully welded and flanged, no leaky clamps.

Take the pipe to an exhaust shop and have it expanded to fit. Take both parts. Tell them it's a Viper and to get it right.

And... NEVER BEGIN A PROJECT LIKE THAT WITHOUT A CAN OF LIQUID WRENCH TO DRENCH EVERYTHING 24 HOURS BEFORE TOOL TIME.

Good luck.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an FYI, when fitting everything back together, it will make it ALOT easier if you ... sand the pipes, to take the layer of carbon / exhaust off, where they slip together. Sand them down to the metal so they look new again. Apply some WD-40 to the areas that slip in and it will make your life alot easier. Don't forget to sand the inside part where they slip together as well.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pity on the clamps. Well, that I threw all mine away when I did my side exhaust. Fully welded and flanged, no leaky clamps.

Take the pipe to an exhaust shop and have it expanded to fit. Take both parts. Tell them it's a Viper and to get it right.

And... NEVER BEGIN A PROJECT LIKE THAT WITHOUT A CAN OF LIQUID WRENCH TO DRENCH EVERYTHING 24 HOURS BEFORE TOOL TIME.

Good luck.

Great advice. Actually thought about this, but figured what the hell it will come off fine...........

I am probably just going to take the whole car in next week and have the exhaust shot finish her up. I know the guy personally so he'll make it right. He just doesn't like ******* with the exhause covers for liability. I don't like them ******* with them either for my sake. Everything is ready to come off. It's just a matter of fitting everything else up and I will probably go the route of welding everything as well.

Another one of my DIY projects that turned into a FYI project I guess. I should still have the clamps though when I bring it down so they don't weld directly to the manifolds.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not weld the whole section?

IDK you tell me!!! I just assume it would be a PITA to weld that high up in there????? I'M NEW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!

I guess I could just weld her right up there, but what if I ever needed to service it........ well I guess I wouldn't need to service it...

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a ton of pictures of my 2001 original exhaust...what year is your GTS? Is this what you need...

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay. This helps a lot. At least I know I have the right Flange on the new exhaust. Also this is NOT what my exhaust looks like coming off. Where your two mufflers/cats are in the side has been replaced with a "cherry" bomb style muffler. Retained the factory muffler in the back though.

My new system has No cats, mufflers in the side pipes, and thats it. I am assuming its going to be a little on the "loud" side.......... I'm okay with that.

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, just going to take it to a local shop. The guy is hooking me up pretty good because I send him a **** ton of business. Complete weld & install for $50 but I have to put the side covers back on myself.

Should I have him weld the the pipe directly to the manifold?

-Tim

Tonym6071

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
That looks like a great set-up! I have a 1994 and am planning on re-doing my exhaust. May I know what your configuration is? What does the three bolt flange connect to????

Thanks

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not weld the pipes to the stock exhaust manifolds. Not really sure whos exhaust that is in your second picture it does not look like a borla or a mopar system. It should have a mating flange with a V-band clamp to hook up to the mating pipe. You could weld thoses two pipes together but they will need to be installed on the car first for correct alignment.

Well I believe I got in the last day of driving the Viper for a little while at least.

So..... I started working on the exhaust. I picked up a used "Mopar" setup from the manifolds back. I was told its the same as Borla, but don't know or really care either way.

Anyways I jacked the car up and tore into her today. About what I expected. A real job to say the least. Not awful, but of course a few bumps in the road.

First Problem: The bolts for the clamps broke off as I was trying to loosen them. See pic:

So I now need to get these off. I assume cutting them is the only solution here. Also any suggestions on replacements?

Second Problem: Hooking the "L" shaped pipe with the flex in it to the Muffler. Does this look right?

The pipe slides into the muffler, but its very loose????

From there on out im good, but need to get past these obsticles.

Any help???

-Tim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte