Exhaust Removal Question

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have installed the Mopar street exhaust, how did you decide whether to retain the cross over? I have not perceived much of an issue regarding heat on my '03, so I guess I'm curious about the difference in sound.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even without the cross-over, the Mopar street exhaust is not loud (at all) ... I just installed the Mopar 3" 'race' exhaust ... with RT (metal) cats ... and the car sounds awesome ... very deep, not too loud at all. I imagine it would be much louder as Mopar intended without the cats, but the RT cats make it perfect to my ears (less loud than the CORSA track exhaust that I had before)

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the crossover. Even if you don't notice the heat much, you really will be surprised afterwards how much cooler the cockpit will be. Plus, the 20lbs of weight that you will save is OK too.

I have the street exhaust w/o the crossover and I gutted the secondary cats and it sounds really cool w/o being obnoxious.

You better hurry spring is coming!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
F

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any trick to removing the crossover? I looked under the car and it looks captured by the chassis. Is it easy to remove? If you do remove it, how do you support the exhaust tips?

Thanks for the info,

Flash

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Volume and resonance.

Removing the crossover tubes will increase both.

I may have a custom pipe fabbed to replace both cats with a single RT cat and retain the balance of the stock system. Has anyone tried this? Sill temps and interior temps would go down, back pressure would go down and hp would go up. If this works, I may then try headers.

I've tried many combinations of tubes and mufflers and still haven't found a good one without the crossover, but I don't like super loud cars.

Good luck,

Dan

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
So what's louder, MOPAR or CORSA?? 3" systems, no X-over, no cats.

I have yet to replace my mufflers, and I am tired of driving around with earplugs :)

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need some Tech guys to answer that question. A crossover on a V8 balances the back pressure on the 2 sides of the engine and they say increases the power, also sounds better and less rappy. I do know on my V8s that they sound `WAY better with a Xover than without. I don't think Dodge put them there to rob the system from power. The 93-95? side exhaust didn't have the Xover and I thought sounded Bad. Think I would do a little more research before discarding it. JMO

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are there any downsides to removing the crossover tubes? Why did DC put them there in the first place?
:eek:
Thanks,

Flash

Well for whatever reasons it was, resonance,evening out sound, making it a little quieter , etc... I still think its beeter with it out. Plus DC is no longer using the crossover on th 08. Interesting...

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would have to guess the CORSA track is the loudest without cats (it is with cats, so I would guess the same holds true) The Mopar (Borla) muffler has 4 internal tubes and is longer -- the CORSA has 'nothing' inside, just open pipe

OP
OP
F

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So back to my original post before it got hijacked. Are there any downsides to removing the crossover tubes? Why did DC put them there in the first place?

Flash

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got through putting the x-overs back on. I have headers and no cats and the x-over do not add any heat at all. 90% of the heat in the interior comes from the 2nd cat that is/was under the door seal. To me the sound is much better with the x-over, it is more balanced. Taking all the cats out really made the car louder, a bit too loud for me. The car is enough attention without a screaming exhaust. I have tried, stock headers-front cats-Corsa, Ballenger headers-no cats-Corsa, Ballenger-Random front cats-Corsa, Ballenger-Random side cats-Corsa, Ballenger-no cats-custom exhaust, and now Ballenger-no cats-B&B x-over exhaust. I dyno-ed the car for each setup and never could see an appreciable difference in HP/TQ. Though there were too many variables between dyno sessions to really make an accurate comparison.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the sound of the cross over...I lost power putting it back in place....I'd call it 10 rwhp.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got through putting the x-overs back on. I have headers and no cats and the x-over do not add any heat at all. 90% of the heat in the interior comes from the 2nd cat that is/was under the door seal. To me the sound is much better with the x-over, it is more balanced. Taking all the cats out really made the car louder, a bit too loud for me. The car is enough attention without a screaming exhaust. I have tried, stock headers-front cats-Corsa, Ballenger headers-no cats-Corsa, Ballenger-Random front cats-Corsa, Ballenger-Random side cats-Corsa, Ballenger-no cats-custom exhaust, and now Ballenger-no cats-B&B x-over exhaust. I dyno-ed the car for each setup and never could see an appreciable difference in HP/TQ. Though there were too many variables between dyno sessions to really make an accurate comparison.

You WILL lose a little power though with crossover. Like SMOQ said, about 10hp. But for some thats not much,when you consider how loud it is. I personally like the ********** sound and want every pony I can get.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course we are talking about the stock crossover....not the B&B system...I'm sure a car equipped with the Corsa Track would dyno similar number if it was changed over to the B&B crossover system. I may switch over to the B&B at some point...the 2G price tag is the thing that has kept me away.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So tell me; if I go with RT cats & Corsa track, how loud will this be?

I have an 03 & I hate to do muffs without doing the cats & hate to go 2.5" then if 3" is available, I want max power, great sound, but I don't want to need earplugs.

Dave.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sound is a very personal thing.

RT cats on the side make for a hot door. RT cats up front are much better, but you have to retain the stock headers. RT cats and Corsa sounds nice, loud enough for me and just quite enough for my wife to tolerate on a date. The secret for the wife is not to get the RPM up too high, so it doesn’t scream. I ran RT/Corsa for a year and every time I was at the track, many would comment that it was the best sounding Viper out there.

As for a 10HP change on a 500HP motor (2%) no one can feel that, you can’t even accurately measure that on a dyno. You get more than 10HP variation on each run. So for me those kinds of gain are not worth it.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound is a very personal thing.

As for a 10HP change on a 500HP motor (2%) no one can feel that, you can’t even accurately measure that on a dyno. You get more than 10HP variation on each run. So for me those kinds of gain are not worth it.

I agree.

To put some perspective on it. Without the crossover my car would pull on MikeR's car a bit. I put the crossover back in, and the cars became dead even. Once the crossover was removed my car once again pulls on his car. I don't leave him in the dust by any means...On the dyno my car makes around 10 hp/tq more than his.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Of course we are talking about the stock crossover....not the B&B system...I'm sure a car equipped with the Corsa Track would dyno similar number if it was changed over to the B&B crossover system. I may switch over to the B&B at some point...the 2G price tag is the thing that has kept me away.

I have a B&B system that was on my car for about 5K miles ... it's available ... real cheap :2tu: