Factory Paint defects...how common are they?

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been getting estimates to paint my front fascia, due to typical rock chips. It has been suggested by each shop, but one, that I have "soft" defective factory paint. According to them, it has never cured and is a major reason why my car has been prone to rock chips/scratches. My car is black, but they were able to make an indention in the paint by simply pressing their finger firmly on it. :confused: Not scratch it, but "dent" the paint.
How common has this been, if at all? I have an appt. with Dodge tomorrow, so we'll see.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no chips on the nose of my 2005, but my side sills are shot.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a big problem with Gen 2's, but not sure about Gen 3's. Gen 2's would bubble if there was a drastic temperature change from the paint not being cured properly. I saw 2 GTS's on a Dodge lot and both had them had horrible looking bubbles in the paint over atleast 1/8 of the car. The GM told me it was from the temp changes since it was hot during the day and cold at night. I was told if I bought either of them, Dodge would cover it under warranty even though both cars were out of their warranty period.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have chips everywhere on the front and side sills. I took it back to the dealer after 2 weeks and was informed that the paint was not warrantied from chips. Nice product support on a $95,000.00 car.
Robbie

xtrapulp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got delivery of a new 2006 Stone White/Blue stripe special edition SRT10 Coupe and I am totally disgusted with the white paint. It looks like the lunar surface. Anybody else have this problem? I guess its time to start B....... and moaning!

V

Venomiss

First off-this is an old thread started in May. Didn't know if you noticed this.

Second-welcome.:)

Third- take it to whoever you purchased from and report to them first. If it's an '06 I am assuming it's under warranty. Good luck and hope they can help you. If you bought used and it has miles on it don't know what to tell you.

xtrapulp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks---no it's a ****** and I bought the 7/50,000 extended warranty to boot.Oh well. Can you spell "LEMON"? You betcha at $92,185 sticker!

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got tons of chips....my buddies car is the same. I think the paint does chip easier than other cars...after I repaint I will definatly be getting the clear bra.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've not heard of "soft paint" on any Gen III's.

My VOI 9 car's paint is excellent, so was my 04 black SRT-10 when new. Rock chips will happen if the car is driven. You can try to avoid them but likely won't be able to miss them all.

When you get a chance, take a look at your Viper's windshield in the sun some day. I think you'll be surprised at how many rock chips and sand blast marks your windshield has; I was.

Dan:usa:

xtrapulp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update-The "Defective Paint" on my new SRT10 White coupe is.... drum roll please..actually acid rain damage to the clear coat-scary since the dealer who shipped me the car states the car was "put inside every night". () And I have some water front swamp land in Bodunk Florida for sale. Its all BS. Now its in the hands of Chrysler Corp.
Operative word is "shipped" to me. That's the last time that will happen!

05 Ford GT
07 ZO6
07 ZO6 covertible (WOW)
07 Mustang GT
65 Shelby Cobra
65 Vette with LS7 motor
57 Chevy Belair convert

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clear coat on my car seems soft and it had time to cure as it was on the showroom floor for about a year. Rock chips always show up more on a black car since the undercoat is not black in color. As far as quality it is first class with very little imperfections.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had all 3 Gens and 2 Gen 3s --there is no doubt that Gen 3s have poor paint. Viper at one time had the best paint jobs out there--no more. I have even had a major dealer tell me the same and that they have complained to Dodge. It is a shame. These cars nick really easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4