You must be registered for see images

What a neat OEM option or upgrade.
Come on SRT group; please make it happen !! :2tu: :usa:

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Factory SRT Cowl Induction >>> Bye, Bye ZO6

I doubt that the SRT Carbon Concept intake would allow the SRT to say bye bye to the new Z06.

The SRT Carbon intake is a high rpm race style intake. It will not significantly help the engine in the current rpm range. In fact, it will probably hurt the performance in the lower engine speeds. Dodge used this intake for the gawk factor, not because it was a good design.

I doubt that the typical owner would accept the poor drivablity associated with that design.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

625hp = bye bye to 500hp. Maybe the torque would drop to the Z06's 475....doesn't make it 'poor drivability'.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're partially right. The drop in torque that you stated is only a part of the poor driveability. A multi throttle body system is prone to mis-synch. The synchronization of the multiple throttle bodies can go south as the complicated linkages expand and contract with temperature changes. Another potential problem is the response just off idle when the throttle blades are almost closed. A small movement of the throttle can change the open area too quickly. Fortunately, the engine will make such poor low rpm torque that this problem may not be so pronounced.

And you do know that all the HP of the Carbon Concept did not come from the intake system don't you? It looked like this thread was about the intake system, not the heads, cam, exhaust, etc... that helped make power. It takes more than that intake to make 625 HP.

And 625 peak HP does not necessarily equal bye bye to the new 500 HP Z06.

Peak power is not good enough if you loose too much low rpm power. What determines a cars performance is the area under the curve, not the peak value.

Let's agree that this intake should make more power above 6000 rpm, but less power than the stock intake at all engine speeds below 6000 rpm. During an acceleration run which starts from a dead stop, how much time is spent above 6000 rpm compared to how much time is spent below 6000 rpm? That's the problem with an intake such as this. Although the car would be a better dyno queen, it will not be as fast as you think it should be due to the poor low rpm performance. I could be wrong on my 6000 rpm guess, but this should illustrate the potential problem with such an intake system.

OP
OP
H

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is anyone familiar with direct injection systems?? Could this be used to pump up the SRT output?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: Factory SRT Cowl Induction & Bye, Bye ZO6

I've got a daily driver car with multiple throttle bodies and have never had these problems. :eek: It has lots of low end power and a pretty good tq curve. :D In fact, it's tuned great for mid to high rpm range, not 6k+ rpm & I think it is much better with this set up than a single or dual TB. And it just passed the smog test,

You're partially right. The drop in torque that you stated is only a part of the poor driveability. A multi throttle body system is prone to mis-synch. The synchronization of the multiple throttle bodies can go south as the complicated linkages expand and contract with temperature changes. Another potential problem is the response just off idle when the throttle blades are almost closed. A small movement of the throttle can change the open area too quickly. Fortunately, the engine will make such poor low rpm torque that this problem may not be so pronounced.

Let's agree that this intake should make more power above 6000 rpm, but less power than the stock intake at all engine speeds below 6000 rpm. During an acceleration run which starts from a dead stop, how much time is spent above 6000 rpm compared to how much time is spent below 6000 rpm? That's the problem with an intake such as this. Although the car would be a better dyno queen, it will not be as fast as you think it should be due to the poor low rpm performance. I could be wrong on my 6000 rpm guess, but this should illustrate the potential problem with such an intake system.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3104M5engine-med.jpg

507 hp, probably the same driveability as any other BMW. Absolutely agree that it would need the 7 speed gearbox to keep it on the boil. hmmm, the Viper with 3.55 gears and this type of intake setup....

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll drop the subject with a quote from the Performance Modifications section by a guy at SRT (user name Dyno Dave) that spends a lot of time with Viper engines in the dyno cell...

You can search for all posts by this user if you think you need a little reassurance that he knows what he is talking about.

I've worked with this setup and it has no driveability. If you look at the amount of throttle cross-sectional area that is exposed with even the most delicate push of the accelerator pedal you will see that there is a huge change in area. This results in very abrupt power delivery and it's very difficult to modulate. There is also a lot of tuning difficulty because of the way the throttles are daisy-chained together. The aluminum linkage rods expand due to the heat of the engine as it warms up and throws off the closed set point of the throttle bodies.

This system was run on a production JTEC pcm with custom software on the SEMA "Carbon" car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960