Fastest Color Debate

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is finally scientificly based research (based on science but not actually scientific)that clearly defines the fastest color for an automobile.

While scrounging around I found this from Poudunketr University (good ol PU). Not to be confused with the research from it's rival university, Frankefat University. (You know, old FU) The research is too extensive and complex to post it here so I will just summerize the results. The new, bright colors were not tested but can be assigned to there relatively close colors.

Green - Green tends to blend with verdant background found in most US areas in the summer. This causes other drivers to not see green cars and then crash into them, greatly reducing their speed.

Black - It was found that black cars absorb radiant solar heat which slows them down considerably. (No evidence was given as to why radiant heat slows down a car. I think this was just a masters degree research paper).

White - White cars tend to reflect radiant solar heat, which also slows them down. :dunno:

Red - Red Cars are very fast, however....... they also attract the police and get pulled over more than other colors. This slows them down considerably.

Yellow - Also very fast, however.........They really attract insects. Go to a car show and you will see the bugs love the yellow ones. Insects on the car reduce aerodynamics and add weight thus slowing the car.

Copperhead Orange - Copperhead Orange is easily visable, is light enough to not absorb or reflect too much radiant solar heat, does not unduly attract law enforcement, and is not extremely attractive to insects. Therefore.........

Copperhead Orange IS THE FASTEST COLOR!!!

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bugs are the secret ingredient!
I think the research only considered dead bugs. Concevibly live bugs could attach themselves to the vehicle and flap their wings in unison thus reducing weight and drag. However I feel thei "butterfly effect" would only be enough to reduce the weight and drag they cause in the first place.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the research only considered dead bugs. Concevibly live bugs could attach themselves to the vehicle and flap their wings in unison thus reducing weight and drag. However I feel thei "butterfly effect" would only be enough to reduce the weight and drag they cause in the first place.

I sure would LOVE to see a bug holding at let`s say....175MPH.:lmao:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad us SILVER guys are not included in all this debating. But just out of curiosity, where does SILVER fall in this "fastest color" study??:D:nana::beer::stick::hitfan::clap: :fingersx: :fingersx: :fingersx:

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Green is definately the slowest color---because there are always so many people crowded around you gawking and taking pictures it is impossible to go fast!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver is so fast it goes un-noticed making it clearly the fastest

And anyone I have ever met on that road in mexico can't argue this fact...

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Green is definately the slowest color---because there are always so many people crowded around you gawking and taking pictures it is impossible to go fast!!

:D:D:D

Silver is so fast it goes un-noticed making it clearly the fastest

That's kinda what I assumed, but didn't know for sure. Now I know. Thanks for the confirmation. Now we can sit back and observe the debate on the 2nd fastest based on color :2tu:

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where does SILVER fall in this "fastest color" study?
Silver had the same problem with reflected solar radiation that white had, sorry.

Blue was not included in the study because the "researcher" couldn't come up with a viable reason as to why Copperhead Orange was faster. It just was. Sometimes science can't answer all our questions. The researcher just attributed it to God making Copperheads faster.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn`t silver just the base coat paint before the color coat?:dunno::D

They just left a step out on the silver cars.:lmao:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, when they (engineers, Herb, etc)saw that the top coat paint couldn't stay on at the SILVER CAR speeds, they just left it off. Case closed. i.e, if you have any color other than this "base coat SILVER", your car MUST be slower because it can't achieve the speeds that paint will not stick to.. :lmao::rolaugh::rolleyes:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I just wanted to see if there were any idiots that would rattlecan under the hood in hopes that paralleling the color scheme by doing yellow = = yellow would result in enough horsepower to mimic the faster red = = red package.

Sorry it did not work, but it does look good!

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There definately is a discolored hose there. :) Maybe from the heat?

Although, looks like that engine has all the color possibilities covered. Yellow, red and black hoses and injectors, white hoses, silver on top, blue plug wires. The best of all worlds.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order to get a definitive answer to this question, I posed the question to a PhD in Physics (who happens to be the original owner of my BLACK GTS). Here is his response....

The answer is clearly black if one knows how a radiometer (or called a light mill) works. The radiometer has generally four vanes with one side of each vane coated white and the opposite side coated black.
See below link which shows the direction of rotation.

The simple answer is the black side absorbs more solar radiation than any other color, thus it becomes hotter, this hotter surface heats gas molecules locally at the black surface, these hot gas molecules "pushes off" the hotter surface imparting more momemtum than any other color (all other colors are cooler surfaces), hence the black surface is thrust forward. Therefore black is the fastest!!!
If you don't believe black is hotter than the white, try stepping on black asphalt with bare feet during a hot summer day then step on the white lines which are much cooler.
Note the reason ones sees color is because that particular set of wavelengths (red, blue, yellow, gold etc) are being reflected thus not absorbed by the surface. White reflects all wavelengths and black absorbs all wavelengths, hence black absorbs more energy which heats black surfaces to a higher temperature.

One might wonder why there isn't equal and opposite thrusting from the front of a viper, well that has to do with the shape. The rounded front spreads the gas reaction momentum laterally and the "cupped out rear" such as in a 99 viper tends to focus the reaction momentum in the axial direction that is in the direction the viper is heading.

There is another significant effect for heavily waxed vipers, the higher temperature of a black surface boils off more wax, particularly from the rear of the car (similar phenomena as above), thus giving a black viper "rocket action". Again black is, hands down the fastest viper color!!.

How does a light-mill work?

Sincerely,

Dr. F.M., Ph.D. Physics

:2tu::2tu::2tu:

Last edited:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a PhD in physics but it sounds like Black cars, which are "hotter" would generate more friction which will SLOW an object in motion. Sound like a true statement?

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a PhD in physics but it sounds like Black cars, which are "hotter" would generate more friction which will SLOW an object in motion. Sound like a true statement?

Actually, no. The hotter a gas, the further apart the gas molecules are. Therefore the air at the surface of a black car would be less dense and offer LOWER resistance.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, those black stripes on your car will slow you down, and the Yellow WILL attract bugs which will stick to the car causing a non aerodynamic car due to the splattered bugs,

Best you get rid of it and buy a Red car :D

Mark
:uk:

:D

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There definately is a discolored hose there. :) Maybe from the heat?

Although, looks like that engine has all the color possibilities covered. Yellow, red and black hoses and injectors, white hoses, silver on top, blue plug wires. The best of all worlds.

That hose is not part a Roe set,I found these online(half the cost)from the place that makes those kits.These are the original color before they wrap them in perty colors.;)Like the inside of this pic.
You must be registered for see images

The white HOSES are my headers wrapped in heat sleeving.:lmao:

You must be registered for see images

Ok damnit,PRETTY is the fastest...case closed.:D damn,should have done that in yeller.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960