Fastest I have Driven my Viper

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are a lot of folk on this website that have the skills and courage to really tap into the potential of their mighty Vipers. Many Vipers appear to be heavily modded...with superchargers, twin turbos, and such. There are also many posters, that track their cars and race others or just against the clock.

Alas, I don't fall into any of these above-mentioned groups. For those few drivers like myself, this is a contest, where maybe even I can compete. The fastest I have driven my Viper is 88 mph. Consider that I drive it everyday and drove it to San Antonio 3 weeks ago (round trip 1166 miles). Anybody out there driven a top speed of 88 or less in their Viper???

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had mine for about 3 months and my top speed is 130MPH...

life begins at 100+...

JeffM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you serious? 88mph?

I've only had my GTS for a week so no high speed runs yet. I have had the 180mph speedo on my Supra pegged however. :laugh:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, that stick with the round knob.....that is the gear shift. If you change to a higher gear, it will go faster at the same RPM. :2tu: Sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up.

Doc

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
88 mph max!!??

You have far better self control than I do.

I am fairly certain my car has been over at least 100 mph everytime its been out.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't fear the speed, I fear the arrest and impound if your caught going to far over the limit. Really have to pick the time and the spots to hit high speeds, not easy to do here on Long Island.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never knowingly exceed the posted speed limit. On several occassions there have been indications of travelling in excess of 100mph over a posted speed limit but I question the speed measuring device.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't beat 88MPH. I think mine is around 105MPH. I very rarely get above the 2500-3500RPM range. I know the speed is there waiting, but I bought mine to baby & cruise, not flog.

Cali Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
88 MPH? That's a strange top speed. Are you afraid of activating the Flux Capacitor and travelling back to 1955?
;)
I've hit 115 a couple of times, but fear of losing my license keeps my normal cruising speed below 90. I love going 0-100 down a clear on ramp, but then I back off the throttle and settle down to something resembling the flow of traffic.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming back from a small car show 2 years ago I opened it up a little and hit 140 mph in 4th I believe. Funny, doesnt seem like 140 driving solo on a 2 lane road. Car drives real nice :)

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are a discrace.
Forbes will withdraw their "Lunatic" status if they get a sniff of this.
:D

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't sure I should chime in on this one for fear of looking like a maniac. As I drive fast whenever the oportunity presents.
Then I re-read the original question.

"Anybody out there driven a top speed of 88 or less in their Viper??? "

My answer is no. My personal top speed is substantialy greater, as is my wifes for that matter. Hell, I've driven faster than that in her Monte Carlo!
Our cars are more capable than most of the folks who drive them, and most drivers probably run out of guts before the car does!

:p

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 145 in the back straight at Sebring. I'd take it up to 160-170 if the conditions allowed and the beer had been flowing:)

How about it Chuck, what's your top speed before turn #17?

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I'm the one but it seems like you win!
For me the first 3 months of ownership: < 70 mph
The next 3 months: < 105 mph, BTW my all-time average speed is probably 40.
Having it for a 16 months now, I finally got it to 127 mph last week. Ran out of road (gut actually). This is actually a good trend, probably I'll get to 150 in the next few years.

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to burst some bubbles but if you get the right cop your going to get towed and stowed.Right or wrong they will take you to jail.Try explaining to a judge your reason for going 140+.I don't even want to go there.They will call local tow service that doesn't even know what a Viper is.My car got towed same situation and it had damage that I had to eat.I learned the hard way.I need my license to work,no license, no work not worth it to me.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
160 mph and she still was pulling. I think I got up to around 140 MPH at MAM (mid america motorplex)

I have only been 90mph in my Wifes Chevy Cavalier

sn8kbyt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
150+ on the Robert Moses causeway (bridge) uphill and with a passenger. Not very responsible but I take my chances once in a while.Also kind of difficult for a cop to set a trap on a bridge.

C.B. 2002 f/e

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
130 in a 55 zone,

170 in a 65 zone, still pulling, but ran out of real estate,

160 many times in a 70 zone.

Speed is relative.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question being asked in this post could be rephrased to be: How many Vipers are wasted on their owners? We have long known about the garage queens. This category is not quite as bad but close. (Just to make it clear, I am not talking about unlawful or unsafe speeding. If someone is speeding in an environment where an equpment failure could cause damage or injury to another person's body or property, except in a lawful race environment, that someone is a fool.) The Viper is a menacing, muscular,streetable race vehicle. Not driving it, or never driving it, near or up to its capabilities is a gearhead sin. A long time friend of mine once said: "It is very hard to have any fun from six feet under." Notwithstanding the above, and putting aside your intentional and willful repression and oppression of your Viper's natural instincts and tendencies, enjoy your ride. All Vipers are special. Seasons Greetings!

BillS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
145 MPH in 4th gear in a school zone, Those kids a quicker than you think! Just kidding... A realy did 145 MPH in 4th gear up a fairly steep hill, then shifted to 6th, and coasted for miles.

Bill

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a '77 Plymouth Gran Fury police car with a 440 a long time ago, and the cool part wasn't any great 0-60 time but floor it on the highway and it just kept pulling and pulling like it would never end. Or so I thought.

Then years later I got the Viper and go to Lime Rock and while there is a downhill to get onto the straight, it's only third gear, then fourth, and just get to 140 in fourth before Big Bend. And it's the cop car feeling (of course much greater) of pulling the whole way, never running out of breath, only out of room. Very cool.