Ferrari,Porsche,Vette,55 Chevy, vs GTS ACR - ACTUAL RACE TEST

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good News.
I was invited as a guest participate in a Police Athletic League Charity event where numerous contributors put up big contributions (100K plus!!) to watch a single elimination run of "hot" street cars at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ.
Being far from an experienced "dragger",but having the basics from many years of on and off street "confrontations" I agreed to use my stock 00 Viper ACR as a proxy entry for a contributor who did not have a car to compete. The "field" was composed of maybe 15 cars including: three Ferrari 360 Spyders , a Porsche 911 Turbo 67 427 Tripower Vette (02-04 vintage), 55 Chevy (with full race package,huge slick,drag suspension,HUGE race engine with giant superchager sticking about 1 foot out of the front hood, couple of stock vettes,three new Mercedes AMG SL55s, , a 90's vintage Cobra Mustang with supercharger and track set up (inclusive of the bag of ice on the supercharger right before staging!!) and I believe a couple of other competitors in the group. Other relevent facts: Only the Mustang and Chevy driver claimed(or by virtue of attire,trailor having lot of stickers etc, or general attitude) signifacant dragrace experience; Temp was warm mid 80's with mild humidity. One driver complained "...the track is not clean, there is even a puddle of water right where I am supposed to drive through to get to those little lights..." (I wasn't really worried about him); With the exception of the 55 Chevy and the Mustang, all cars ran on street tires and drove up to the race on their own power.

The results, you may ask?? Not so fast, Lets see what all you car guys think about the potential race outcome and I will post the top three finishers to see if you guessed right. Mean Huh??
Hint; the outcome was not as I thought it would be ,but I was still very happy for our Viper Nation.

Good Luck
Bob Carroll

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of the street cars:
Mercedes Sl55
Viper
911 Turbo
360 Spider

Im placing the Merc ahead of the Viper because im not sure of your driving abilities and i know the autobox Benz would be easier to launch. If the Porsche didnt know how to launch his 1/4's would suffer greatly, and most 360 Spiders drivers cant drive for [******], and they are slowwwww to boot.

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Street Cars (not really knowing the abilities of the track cars)

Porsche Turbo
Viper ACR
Mercedes SL55
Ferrari 360?
Vette tri-power

Any mods done to your ACR or is it bone stock? Depending on the year, the 4 wheel drive and rear engine layout of the Turbo always make it a consistant winner in comparo testing. The ACR's low end torque and lighter weight give it the edge on the wicked fast Benzs that still has the auto box and traction nanny advantage of "stomp the pedal and hold on" launches. The Ferraris are an X factor depending on the driver and F1 paddles or conventional stick and top up or down, much tougher to launch with stick and I think the top down would definitely effect wind resistance. Could be 2nd or 3rd in theory. The Vette 427 is an old school monster and one of my dream cars. Many of the power claims from the muscle car era were overblown and they just can't compete with modern tires and fuel injection systems.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vette - tt 427.nuff said

Mustang - setup for drag so he gotta be up there...

Viper - nuff said

Porsche - awd

Sl55 - automatic

All based on your driving skill....

OP
OP
Vipergtsbob

Vipergtsbob

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Next hint;

I was told winning ET was 11.7 at 123mph

So far, some well reasoned guesses. all wrong but sensible. In regard to some inquiries, my 00 ACR is bone stock except for Corsa cat backs. No slicks, engine work nor rear end gear stuff. In regard to the Ferraris, if my memory serves me well, one had the 6 speed, and the other two were F1 paddle shifters. The Mercedes SL 55's were all stock appearing as was the Porsche TT. The 67 vette had vintage era tires.
It was an interesting mix of old, new and exotic that you don't see too often. thanks and fyi

Bob

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sl55's run mid 12's (at least the ones I've seen run) so I'm guesing:

55 chevy
viper
vette
rustang
porsche
sl55

OP
OP
Vipergtsbob

Vipergtsbob

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sorry guys, one of my witnesses corrected me and advised that it was a 57 Chevy on drag set up chassis not a 55. I don't think my error affects wind resistance though.
Bob

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will depend alot on what tires everyone was running. If the cars had DRs on, it would help out alot.

Guessing the street cars had on Street tires:

57 chevy
Viper
Cobra
SL55
Vette
Porsche

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok lets see then, a stock ACR will not run 123mph through the 1/4, nor will the Porsche, Sl55 and definately not the 360.

So, im gonna go with the 57 Chebby.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you the '67 427 tripower Vette is at the bottom..now that I know it was close to stock (skinny tires)...I know because I own one of these.
The Chevy is a drag car so that won.
The Merc got in front of the Vette.
The Ferrari's are lucky to get in front of the Merc.
That leaves you, the 911 and the stang. The stang is not stock and given the ice scenario the driver is experienced. I think it could go either way with the two of you except for your relative lack of drag racing experience. I don't want to do it...but I'll say the stang beat you.
The good news is you beat the Porsche.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't wait... my whole life revolves around knowing the results. This will be like Christmas morning!!!

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going with the old timer, the 57 chevy. As you stated he turned up "with full race package,huge slick,drag suspension,HUGE race engine with giant superchager sticking about 1 foot out of the front hood"
Seems to me he has done some "slight" mods and was there to win. Also if he ain't trapping 123mph he sure has wasted a lot of cash.
The rest of the placings are a raffle, although it's almost another sure bet that the vette came last.

Having said that here's my guess.

57 chev
viper
Porsche
SL55
Cobra
Vette
:usa:

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
11.7? .... I gotta believe it's your ACR Bob!

11.7's have been a breeze at Raceway park... expecially on a lightly modded car in perfect weather.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahh.. the sl55 ran 12.9.

the porsche ran 12.7

the ferarris ran 12.6 or so...

the viper ran 12.0

the cobra ran 11.8

the chevy ran 11.7

hows that for a guess...

alex
few cars

OP
OP
Vipergtsbob

Vipergtsbob

VCA Officer
Reaction score
OK,OK LET ME PUT AN END TO THIS NONSENSE.
First a disclaimer. I do not have the "official" written results yet, but I did participate in the usual post race time slip comparison. From that the following results were announced to the participants:

WINNER-- COBRA MUSTANG 11.7 @123MPH
2ND -- 00 VIPER ACR 12.6 @113MPH

OP
OP
Vipergtsbob

Vipergtsbob

VCA Officer
Reaction score
SORRY, HIT THE ENTER KEY TOO FAST

THIRD PLACE-- MERCEDES SL55 12.8 ??MPH
Heres the rest of the field in general order:
Other Mercedes SL55s approx 12.8-13.0
Porsche TT 13.4
Fererri 360s 13.2,and rest in low to mid 13's
57 DRAG CHEVY 15.7 (driver claimed supercharger
belt "disengaged" whatever
that means;)
67 Tripower 427 Vette 17.? (tires and driving)
Misc Vettes all over 14.

Morals learned;
#1 Never,never get intimidated by the trailered Drag machine; Its got to finish to beat you!!
#2American muscle today is more than capable of beating the european "blue Bloods" on "our" 1/4 mile battlefield
#3Old American muscle is great to look at.... well it's still great to look at.
#4Always watch the guy with the icebag!!!

I hope you guys had as much fun as I did with this silly post. Thanks for your great responses.
Bob

(Hey AJ, pretty good guesses)

OP
OP
Vipergtsbob

Vipergtsbob

VCA Officer
Reaction score
My final postscript.

IF YOU CONCLUDE THAT THE DRAG COBRA/MUSTANG WAS A TRACK PREPPED CAR, THAN OUR VIPER IS NOW KING OF THE HILL. IMAGINE IF I COULD REALLY DRIVE IT!!!!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY GUYS
BOB

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good way to represent for the Vipers against all that muscle....Buuuut, none of the times posted represents what those cars can really do...Especially the Porsche...13.4??Yeesh...But it was same day same conditions etc so no excusses...I see you missed a gear and still finished 2nd hehe.... :2tu:

BTW Ive seen broken in ACR's quoted at 121-122mph bone stock...