Finally decided!!

roadking36

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been debating between the Viper and the Z06 for some time now and I've decided on the viper. I will be using it almost as a daily driver. I know this is an opinion based question, but for you guys that live in areas where it is not warm all year, like myself in MD., do you prefer the coupe or convertible? Remember I will be driving it mostly as my daily driver and I live in Northern Md. I've been looking on Ebay and autotrader, do you guys have any more suggestions on a good place to buy?
Thanks,
Chris

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have and prefer the coupe. Warm in winter, and AC in the summer. I think they look better too, but thats just my opinion and you know what they say about those. As far as where to buy? Look in the classifieds here on this site. Or call Bernie Katz at BJ Motors in Crozier VA.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1....call Bernie. Take the worry out of the purchase. Bernie sells only the best cars. You'll know you're getting one with no stories. ;)

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like verts personally but the only opinion that matters is yours. Since you are planning on this car being a DD, do a search here on cold weather driving. Cold tires, cold road surfaces or slippery conditions and Vipers don't play well together. It can be done but you best know your car and limitations...........

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No doubt the vert! The best of both worlds........nice days......*******......hot days.....it still has very good A/C, just like the coouples.....on cold days, it even has a heater just like the coupes! To me it's a no brainer!!

V

Venomiss

Check out you nearest local Viper Club to see if anyone has a car for sale.
That way you get to meet the owner and get background information on the car.
All while meeting some fellow Viper members who can be a great source for researching a Viper purchase.

Welcome to the VA/MD Region of the Viper Club of America.

Good luck and welcome!

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if u have hair on u're head get the vert

Does it have to be more than 3 hairs? I may have to sell mine.:omg:

If you plan on tracking it, either plan on a rollbar or hardtop for the vert, since the stock bars offer no rollover protection and most tracks won't allow them.

OP
OP
R

roadking36

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the help. I really want ot find the best car. I'm still having a hard time deciding, but I am going to drive it alot, so I'm slightly leaning toward the coupe. Have any of you ever bought from Woodhouse?
Thanks,
Chris

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought from Woodhouse, I was treated like a king.. Call Bill Pemberton from Woodhouse 800-889-1893 or cell 402-677-5864 Bill will take care of you and find you what you want..P.S. I traded my 06 vert for a 08 Coupe I love the look of the coupe.My 2 cents :2tu:

Last edited:

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been debating between the Viper and the Z06 for some time now and I've decided on the viper. I will be using it almost as a daily driver. I know this is an opinion based question, but for you guys that live in areas where it is not warm all year, like myself in MD., do you prefer the coupe or convertible? Remember I will be driving it mostly as my daily driver and I live in Northern Md. I've been looking on Ebay and autotrader, do you guys have any more suggestions on a good place to buy?
Thanks,
Chris

When I purchased my coupe, I thought I was really going to miss the convertible aspect(I owned Corvette, Porsche and Ferrari verts previously) but that has not been the case. My friend owns a 97 vert and his car does not seem as stiff and responsive but this may just be my imangination. I live in central New Hampshire and use my Viper as a daily driver.

OP
OP
R

roadking36

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the person I wanted to talk to. So you don't miss the vert? How would you say it is as a daily driver? Do you regret it at all? Do you ever get tired of it? How is it in the rain? Sorry about all the questions.
thanks,
Chris

When I purchased my coupe, I thought I was really going to miss the convertible aspect(I owned Corvette, Porsche and Ferrari verts previously) but that has not been the case. My friend owns a 97 vert and his car does not seem as stiff and responsive but this may just be my imangination. I live in central New Hampshire and use my Viper as a daily driver.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The convertible is extremely weathertight, really no perceived difference when the top is up. So if you like the top down experience there really is no disadvantage to choosing a convertible. It was designed as a convertible also (The coupe model was added 3 yyears later by dropping a coupe top on the convertible) so it is very rigid. So from a rigidity and weather tight standpoint no reason not to go convertible. The Coupe draws much more attention then the convertible so as a daily driver the convertible might be a better choice. The convertible top is a manual one but it works very well. If you are looking at a used car make sure to try putting the top up and down yourself. Some of them are so tight they are troublesome to latch unless you are practicied in the art.
I just traded an 06 convertble in on an 08 Coupe, but that was largely to get an ACR model, I was very happy with my convertible. You do need to be careful in the rain with either model, the torque plus the wide tire size can lead to trouble if common sense is not used, but many drive in the rain with no issues.
With our weather you should be fine except for those few days we get snow and ice. I think it's safe to say ice and Vipers do not mix well.
If you are shopping used you will get a better deal on a convertible as more were made from 06-08. There was no 07 model. The coupe has only been made from 06.
If you are looking strictly new the 08's are sold out and there are few in stock. I would second the thought of calling Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. I have bought 4 Vipers and 3 other Dodge/Chryslers from him and have always been totally satisfied. Plus he's fun to talk to, you will learn a couple new accents and some jokes, no high pressure either.
Ford Chrysler Dodge Lincoln Mercury Mazda Nissan - Omaha Nebraska He has some nice 08 coupes in stock. Check the website.
Bernie at BJ Motors is another good reputable source, particularly for very lightly used, low mile Vipers. No one has everheard a bad word about a Bernie Viper deal, and he's only a few hours away from you.
His website is BJ Motors - Used Dodge Vipers for Sale, Performance and Exotic Sports Car Wholesaler
If you would like to mingle with a bunch of Viper owners (like 60-80) stop by the Crab Deck on the Eastern Shore (just over the bridge a few miles) after 3pm on the 14th. We will be having our largest event of the year. Great way to see many Vipers and ask opinions. PM me if you have an interest in coming.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only reservation I would have is the daily driver aspect and traffic. When you sit idling in this car it heats up QUICK! I have my seat lowered 2" so its a little worse for me (since I'm so close to the sidesill).

I can feel the seatback getting warm when I idle in traffic. Also since our cars are fiberglass I'd be scared to death to drive it daily and park it at the mall, supermarket, etc etc.

My vote is a 2-4k ****** car as the daily and save the Viper for nice days, or hookie from work days!lol