Fire Suppression Question

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, working on my list of planned upgrades for '02. This year I'm concentrating on safety, with things like a rollbar and fire suppression on the list.

What do I need to know as far as fire suppression goes? I know this much, there is automatic and manual (ie sensors vs. 'oh sh*t' switch), different size bottles, and different flame retardants. What can people recommend? Either to stay away from or to have. Is there a certain manufacturer that is on top? I'll probably do this mod along with an electrical kill switch, so any comments on that are welcome as well.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

A friend of mine from another club is putting together a halon system group purchase. I'll provide his name off-line if you're interested. As far as I know, it's a 3-nozzle system with heads usually installed in the cockpit, underhood and around the fuel tank area, cost was a few hundred dollars not including installation. These require manual operation.

Eric
01ACR

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FORGET HALON! Halon is a gas that takes away oxygen, very dangerous to a driver. Most systems use a 3 point setup, one in engine, one in fuel cell area, one on steering wheel facing the driver. Their is a company here in NJ, call COLD FIRE. They have developed the best system in the business. It uses a unique chemical that can be sprayed right onto the driver, safe! It is the ONLY chemical that can put out magnesium fires also. You can call Cold Fire in NJ, 973-627-0722 about the system. Also you buy the chemical and can refill the sytem cheaply yourself. It is approved by all sanctioning bodys and I think INDY (IRL) uses it exclusively now.
Their website.....www.firefreeze.com

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Halon systems are used world wide and are, I believe, the industry standard. They have saved the cars of numerous Viper Racing League drivers. A 5-pound system would be the minimum requirement, although 10 pounds should provide a greater margin of safety, and it will assure you of complying with the most stringent of race series rules. You race with the windows open. I don't see the problem with loss of oxygen to the driver. Maybe I'm missing something.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike is right Halon is old...go with the newer foams like AFFF which are totally safe if you get spayed with it. Lifeline (http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/products/auto_sys.htm) makes one of the best electronic systems using AFFF but even better at fire suppression is Cold Fire (http://www.firefreeze.com/) (Mike is right again) but I believe they only have a mechanical system now. If and when the electronic Cold Fire system comes out and my Lifeline is past it's SCCA legal date, I'll switch. When it comes to safety, buy the best and pray you will never need to know how good the best is.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ColdFire held a demonstration for SCCA in conjunction with our E-crew licensing refreshers. We practice putting out fuel, oil, plastic, and magnesium fires w/ ColdFire and Halon.

ColdFire, hands Down. HALON can be hazerdous to your eyes and lungs and skin. Been there.....coughed that.

COMMERCIAL MESSAGE:

PartsRack offers 4-point protectiuon, with AFFF enviro-safe Foam. Kit covers 2 underhood, 1 driver, and 1 fuel cell.
$599 Cowel-mount kill switch: $129

OP
OP
M

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. Eric from Autoform also emailed me privately offering their expertise. Now I have what I need to figure out the best system for me. I'll post a follow up when the system goes in. Ted, I'll give you a call and come see that rollbar install cause thats on my list too.