First Dyno #'s...wife's 96 GTS

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First Dyno #\'s...wife\'s 96 GTS

Hey guys, how does this stack up, and how do the gears effect these numbers. Best of 3 pulls netted 402.5 rwhp / 450.3 rwtq. This was on a DynoJet Dyno. The car has smooth tubes and a 3.73 gear...for now. Let me know what you think. Thanks! p.s. It was hot today, 86 or so, and the best run was obviously after it cooled down a bit.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: First Dyno #\'s...wife\'s 96 GTS

The 3.73 gear is the reason you show a lower HP number. With stock gears and smooth tubes you would have been at least 7+ HP better. I would guess at least 410 and maybe up to 415 or more at the rear wheels. I've seen this on happen on several cars with the gear change.

However, for seat of the paints feel and quicker acceleration the 3.55's and 3.73 gears are much better. IMO

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Any idea how much faster you would be in the 1/4 mi with a 3.73 rear end vs stock? .5 sec? If you are looking for quick acceleration and not top end speed, is the 3.73 the way to go?

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How does a gear change lower HP? I can see peak HP coming at a lower RPM.... but reducing total RWHP?

So if I go from 3.07... to say..... 2.00... will my RWHP go up?

I just don't see how gears will reduce RWHP.

Lance

OP
OP
T

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Gerald, this car trapped @ 118. Could only muster a 12.5 though...the gears made it really hard to launch on the MXX3's. Mph is very similar to my other car w/ 3.07's and a full catless exhaust. 4th maxes @ 124 so if too much power/traction was added, 4/5 shift would be needed. For a stock car, and street fun, the 3.73 is ok. As far as shifting too much..some people hate it, but I just skip shift when normal driving..1/3/5 around town. Basically, if you can hook up in first gear, that's where you'll really notice the tq multiplication. Other than that it's like being a gear ahead over stock..ie. 4th now feels like 3rd. 6th is used much more...1700+rpm at highway. We're switching these to 3.33 and putting the 3.73's in my friends car which feels like it lost some low-end with his big exhaust ugrade.
Lance, That's what I'm trying to figure out. Cody is not the only to say that. Vipermed has also told me about similar experiences with 3.73's on DynoJets. Said same thing, maybe 5-15 hp lower.
Anyone else with some insight?? It was fun, nonetheless. Finally a baselined car to work from. 450rwtq is awesome though! I'm happy!!

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I picked up HP with the 3.33's.Gears shouldn't affect the dyno.Anythings possible,I would like to see more on it!

CoryMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is your wife's Viper silver with blue stripes? I've seen some woman driving one around Brandon, and she always goes to my girlfriend's work.