Flex

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after reading every thread on the forum ,I finally decide to get my side sills and nose repainted. I picked an auto shop someone here used and liked , so anyhow I talk to the guy and tell him all the stuff I learned from other members experiences.I got my car back and everything looked great,HOWEVER after taking it out I get home and notice a small chip in the nose,oh well bad luck I guess. Yesterday it's nice again in NJ so I go out for a couple hours and when I get back I notice about 7 more little chips out of the nose. I call up the auto shop ,who are really nice guys so I won't mention the name until I see what he does ,which he says he'll repaint after he looks at it.I ask him if he used flex in the paint and he tells me the paint he used already had the flex in it.So after this long post I guess my question is if the flex is something you have to add or did something just not go on correctly. Thanks for any help in solving this.

OP
OP
D

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to figure out why this post didn't show up in the new posts .

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure that flex additive has anything to do with the paint being more susceptible to chipping. Its more for ensuring the paint stays pliable so if the facia flexes, the paint won't crack or separate. I think its more like the amount of catalyst he used, depending on the type of paint. I know when I sprayed enamel, I didn't have enough hardner in it and the paint stayed soft and chipped pretty easily.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In cars that I've had painted in the past, (70's Trans Ams) there was flex agent added to the primer and also in the paint. Not sure about "modern" paints though.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as chipping goes, you can't beat factoty. Once you repaint it chips really easily.

OP
OP
D

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks to me like it is from the flexing of the nose of the car because I noticed that a couple of the spots get what looks like a little crack and then later on there is a small chip missing

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always use a flex agent on the primer and clear. No flex added to the base coat. You can add up to 30% flex agent in the mixture, although I have never used that amount. None of my repaints have chipped any more or less than the factory.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my old stealth when the body shop used Sherwin Williams paint. Did it twice until I took it to another body shop that used a different brand. Ask them what paint they use.

OP
OP
D

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They told me before that they use Sikkens paint

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the exact product name if you can and see if the Sikkens web site says it is flex friendly.

Just looked at the Sikkens site and none of the listed products state they are flex ready that I could see.

It is late though, and I've been enjoying the new Shiner Black Lager.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery