For those of us that have check engine light come on. Here is a tool that might help.

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I wanted to share this with you guys if you were interested in it. I used to have my check engine light come on for one of my cats and I didn'twant to spend 60 plus tax for a obd II reader from Harbor Freight. So I found this as a cheaper and better solution. Usually Cheaper and Better don't go along but in this case they do.

If you have a android phone/tablet, the app is called Torque Pro (Link to googleplay store --> http://goo.gl/6rQSb ). I am sure they have it for iphone app as well but since I don't have a iphone could someone verify this.

Torque Pro allows you to clear codes read codes, the features are all in that link I posted. It does a ton of stuff. They have a free version and a paid version but the paid version is 4.99 or 5.99 but it's worth every penny. I use it on my Viper and other cars and it works great.

But this won't work by itself. You need a bluetooth OBD Scanner. I tried different ones and the one that worked great is this one from amazon. Amazon is where I got mine: http://goo.gl/Dz0jJk.

This one works perfectly with this app and I have used it on different cars to isolate my problems. I think in total it will cost you less than a close to 30 dollars but it is portable. You can leave it in your dash and pull it out and bluetooth connect it to your mobile and use it anytime.

I hope it helps you guys out. Here is an image from Slithr running it in his Viper from his tablet.
You must be registered for see images attach

It apparently works with any Gen that is OBDII. The Gen 2 computer might be to slow to do real-time data logging but it can save it and you can read through it later.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: For those of us that have check engine light come on. Here is a tool that might h

Great info do you know if you can monitor the knock sensor?
Has anyone else had good success with any other brands of blue tooth plug ins on the Gen 4?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: For those of us that have check engine light come on. Here is a tool that might h

Only one question from me: will it work for a Gen 4? Looks like something that would come in very handy if so...

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Only one question from me: will it work for a Gen 4? Looks like something that would come in very handy if so...
I used it on a friends 09 ACR. It worked great.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sweet...I know what I'll be ordering soon.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is Great !!!! I'll be looking to find Ipad equivalent , thanks neo rambo

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used it on a friends 09 ACR. It worked great.
**** I just remembered he has a Mopar ECU. But if it's OBDII it should still read, shouldn't it?

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ordered the ELM327 wifi adapter , works with Ipad. Can't use blue tooth with Ipad, wifi only. Considering the app obdfusion ($9.99)which also works with Ipad. I'll let you know how this works out!!

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The adapters work great. I bought one of the larger ones but gave it to a friend and bought the really compact one instead. It is small and can be left plugged in while driving without being in the way. The adapters will pull power when left plugged in so I remove it when putting the car away to ensure no battery issues.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any idea what's the best App for Iphone ? And a link for the smaller plug-in adapter ?
I got a Gen5.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The adapters work great. I bought one of the larger ones but gave it to a friend and bought the really compact one instead. It is small and can be left plugged in while driving without being in the way. The adapters will pull power when left plugged in so I remove it when putting the car away to ensure no battery issues.
Here is a link to the Smaller one, I just ordered this and tried it. It works with the Torque Pro Android app. Here is the link to the more compact one for cheaper than the original one posted. http://goo.gl/QbVsrA

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any idea what's the best App for Iphone ? And a link for the smaller plug-in adapter ?
I got a Gen5.
the problem is that I saw a Iphone app equivalent for 49.99. Apple rapes everyone with their ridiculous app prices. But I know for a fact now that the Iphone will not work with the bluetooth adapters. You will have to get a wifi OBDII adapter. Here is a link to the smaller wifi adapter for the Ipad and Iphones: http://goo.gl/BpTO6B

Last edited:

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The cheap short one that you posted seems to have a lot of negative reviews...

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the problem is that I saw a Iphone app equivalent for 49.99. Apple rapes everyone with their ridiculous app prices. But I know for a fact now that the Iphone will not work with the bluetooth adapters. You will have to get a wifi OBDII adapter. Here is a link to the smaller wifi adapter for the Ipad and Iphones: http://goo.gl/BpTO6B

Thanks, maybe it's time I switch my Iphone for an Android ?

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The cheap short one that you posted seems to have a lot of negative reviews...

Yea it does but it has 225 reviews with 4 stars I think overall that would be good. The thing I like about amazon is that if it doesn't work they will pay for you to send it back. Most of the recent reviews seemed good so I ordered it to try it out.

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The recommended adaptor for Iphone, ipad, etc is the elm327 must be wifi, they say Bluetooth doesn't work in this usage with iphone, etc. The apps for iphone, etc are "DashCommand' and a cheaper app "OBDFUSION", I have the adaptor but haven't tested as yet....

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea it does but it has 225 reviews with 4 stars I think overall that would be good. The thing I like about amazon is that if it doesn't work they will pay for you to send it back. Most of the recent reviews seemed good so I ordered it to try it out.

Reading more of the reviews I guess it depends who you buy from as there are sellers selling "fake" versions of it that seem to be DOA. Do you know vender you purchased from as amazon has a selection to do multiple venders?

stryfe

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've been using an adapter and Torque Pro for a few months now. It's great for codes and the adapter is small enough to fit anywhere. Unplug your adapter when not in use, though. Especially if you use a battery tender. . . :chair:

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just purchased this WiFi Elm 327 for iphone/ipad
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D9KJMI4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And DashCommand and it worked flawlessly
Once the app was downloaded, plugged in the ELM, went to WiFi settings on the ipdad, clicked on the OBD connection and it worked. Would prefer more stats like Torque pro but its Andrioid only. Any suggestions for ipad apps?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys I used my micro one yesterday http://goo.gl/QbVsrA and it was perfect it didn't hit my leg it synced pretty quickly and it took a few seconds to setup. I will post a video soon to show how to get it setup and running quickly.

F

FrgMstr

Guys I used my micro one yesterday http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U1MOM8/?tag=hardfocom-20 and it was perfect it didn't hit my leg it synced pretty quickly and it took a few seconds to setup. I will post a video soon to show how to get it setup and running quickly.

That specific one is sort of hit and miss, some of those work great (I have used one.) and some of those **** (I have used that one too.). Terrible quality control or counterfeits. Take your pick.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys I used my micro one yesterday http://goo.gl/QbVsrA and it was perfect it didn't hit my leg it synced pretty quickly and it took a few seconds to setup. I will post a video soon to show how to get it setup and running quickly.

I just switched from the Iphone to the Android Samsung Galaxie S4, so now I can get Torque Pro, I'll order both the small and large adapter and see wich one I like best. I need one in the CTS-V too anyway.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just switched from the Iphone to the Android Samsung Galaxie S4, so now I can get Torque Pro, I'll order both the small and large adapter and see wich one I like best. I need one in the CTS-V too anyway.
Smart move going from iphone to s4 but that's a different topic. You know the only difference was the size for me. Make sure you buy it when it says fulfilled by amazon. They will refund you and pay for the shipping back to them. or tell you to just keep it and they will send you another.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ordered one

by AudelTech. Estimated delivery: Sept. 19, 2013

Not bad. 2 day delivery with prime. I'll try it out. Might try the free torque pro app first. I have a CEL from no cat throwing the secondary o2 sensors from time to time. Might see how well it works on the free app first then pay for the app if it gives additional features.

Getnlwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have one of the micro ones, and a larger one as well. Both work perfectly. I have been using mine for nearly two years. Co-incedentally the 2008 viper shows a lot more engine info than the SRT10 RAM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang