FORD GT vs.Z06 vs. VIPER. TESTED!!!!!!!

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sadly the slowest magizane tested them. automobile. heres the cover http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16&stc=1
looks cool im going to try and pick up the magizane today. what are the times? i must say wow, they have some bad drivers!

Ford GT 3.8 0-60, 12.2 1/4 mile, 1:32.45 lap
Z06 4.1 0-60, 12.0 1/4 mile, 1:32.75 lap
Viper 4.3 0-60, 12.4 1/4 mile, 1:33.95 lap

we all know all of the cars can do better. :usa:

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Incredible and the unkowing public will actually believe these times..........I wish they would find qualified drivers.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really ****** times but they still have the z06 winning in the 0-60

At 300 lbs lighter, same hp and 3.55 gears it should.

Herc :usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
??? how is 3.8 (f gt) slower than 4.1(z06)????

looks to me like the f gt is the winner in 0-60

I think he was confining his comment to the Viper and Corvette.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he meant to refer to the 1/4 mi. time.Still,these times are so slow it's hard to get anything useful from them.I was getting 4.1-4.2 with my 03Z06 bone stock on street tires.Haven't timed my Viper yet(still trying to get the launch technique right)but it feels quicker.Looking at what other mags report,seems like all of them are getting 0 to 60 1-2 tenths quicker with the FGT,with 1/4 mi. times
close to even;could be launch is a bit easier with the Ford.Any thoughts?

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weak times or not, we went from "king of the hill" to last place. :(

AND THAT *****. :mad:

Looking at what other mags report,seems like all of them are getting 0 to 60 1-2 tenths quicker with the FGT,with 1/4 mi. times
close to even;could be launch is a bit easier with the Ford.Any thoughts?
Rear engine / Mid engine = better traction.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to hear why the Viper finished third on the track. I hope the driver skill was the reason for all the slow times, but the GT has no computer nanny to save the pilot either....it was fastest. Must have been run in cold weather on runflats!

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When asked about the future of domestic performance cars like the Viper, Herb Helbig(Viper’s top engineer) responded:

When you think about the guys in Dearborn(Ford), and the guys in Warren(GM), and us guys in Auburn Hills, and there’s a lot pride and bragging rights involved, and there’s no way that, when the bar gets raised by one of those three groups, the other guys aren’t going to be working over their cauldron, boiling something up that’s going to put them back on top.

We’re glad that those guys have taken up the challenge. It allows us to go to our management and say “we can’t sit on our laurels and rest on our accomplishments. We’ve got to keep pushing the envelope.” PVO/SRT will stop at nothing to continue to be the king of this hill. You can take that one to the bank.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got this from work alias, so not 100% sure of accuracy since it is 2nd hand. This hurts....And yes, a Viper Coupe is pictured in the magazine.

From November 05 Automobile Magazine.

Z06
Best Lap time 1:32.75
Best lap average speed(mph) 73.0
0-60mph/quarter-mile(sec) 4.1/ 12.0
Braking 70-0mph(ft) 149
Cornering L/R(g) 1.10/1.09
Weight(lb) 3147
Distribution f/r(%) 50.9/49.1
Top Speed(mph) 198

Viper
Best Lap time 1:33.95
Best lap average speed(mph) 72.0
0-60mph/quarter-mile(sec) 4.3/12.4
Braking 70-0mph(ft) 150
Cornering L/R(g) 1.04/1.02
Weight(lb) 3454
Distribution f/r(%) 48.8/51.2
Top Speed(mph) 190

Ford GT
Best Lap time 1:32.45
Best lap average speed(mph) 73.2
0-60mph/quarter-mile(sec) 3.8 /12.2
Braking 70-0mph(ft) 156
Cornering L/R(g) 1.03/1.01
Weight(lb) 3489
Distribution f/r(%) 43.4/56.6
Top Speed(mph) 205

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The way I look at it, the top of the line Vette squeaks by the "base" Viper coupe. If DC made an ACR version of the GTS Coupe (say 250 fewer pounds and 50 plus more horsepower) then we would be comparing the top with the top. Does anyone know if there is a lighter, higher performance ACR version in the works?

OP
OP
S

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rumor yes and there has been a new viper being tested. but the facts? not yet

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kind ofsucks if they raise the performance levels on the srt-10. Leave me feeling left out :( lol

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I look at it, the top of the line Vette squeaks by the "base" Viper coupe.

Eh, I don't like that line of thought. If the article is true, then just leave it at that. The base line Z06, beat out the base line Viper. Not any of your faults.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read the article. Top speed for the Viper on the back straight at Gingerman was 108. I have seen higher speeds on that stretch with my car....and I get to a track about once a year.

Steve

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When asked about the future of domestic performance cars like the Viper, Herb Helbig(Viper’s top engineer) responded:

PVO/SRT will stop at nothing to continue to be the king of this hill. You can take that one to the bank.[/b]

Looks like the statement "Take that one to the bank" means it leaves my bank and goes to the Viper National Bank of Blair, Nebraska.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read the article. Top speed for the Viper on the back straight at Gingerman was 108. I have seen higher speeds on that stretch with my car....and I get to a track about once a year.

Steve

When my car was stock I reached 120-122 on the back and front straights at Gingerman. 108 is below Gen I territory. It must have been raining to get that poor, or they had a wussy driving.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve

When my car was stock I reached 120-122 on the back and front straights at Gingerman. 108 is below Gen I territory. It must have been raining to get that poor, or they had a wussy driving.

Seems you run as fast as the world challenge cars. Seems unlikely:

Wai wrote:
WC cars ran about 1'25" in a recent issue of Car & Driver (the one with a yellow C6 vette on cover). There're 4 cars in that article: Vette, Viper, Audi & Cadillac. All of them ran pretty close times.

I found the article!

http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=8430&page_number=1
http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=8430&page_number=6

This was the Sept 04 issue. The paper magazine also has plots of speeds and accelerations vs. distance. All the four cars ran 1:25 laps.

The top speeds were 123 mph before turn 11, the lowest speeds were 43-47 mph in turns 2 and 3.

They developed +/- 1.35 - 1.45 max lateral G's in most turns. The magazine's lateral G data looks inaccurate, probably due to the
accelerometer installation. It is shifted to one side or to the other on all cars. I initially thought that Viper turned right better left and all the other cars turned left better than right, but then I saw that the cars weren't even showing the same lateral G's going in a straight line, which is a dead giveaway. Let's just say all cars developed 1.40 lateral G's left and right.

All the cars weighed 3000-3200 lbs, but they usually run with a 100-200 lbs ballast. Great article.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I have done quite a few laps at Gingerman. And with no question in my mind I can tell you that I now hit around 127-128 mph on the front straight (before turn 1). Before adding the supercharger I was just below fuel shut-off in 3rd (FSO is 123 mph).

The speeds in turns 2 and 3 look a little suspect as well. 43 seems slow as my recollection is a little under 50 (though I do not look at the speedo at that point in time).

Note I also have recorded full laps with a G Tech and know the cornering accels, accels and decels are. Note my right and left turn peak laterals are also shifted. If I recall correctly the max left was 1.19 and right was 1.23. I do not recall which corners though. Body lean may play a part as well in the measurements using a G Tech.

Here is a picture in turn 2 looking back at turn 1.
498MKS_0247-med.JPG

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I have done quite a few laps at Gingerman. And with no question in my mind I can tell you that I now hit around 127-128 mph on the front straight (before turn 1). Before adding the supercharger I was just below fuel shut-off in 3rd (FSO is 123 mph).

The speeds in turns 2 and 3 look a little suspect as well. 43 seems slow as my recollection is a little under 50 (though I do not look at the speedo at that point in time).

Note I also have recorded full laps with a G Tech and know the cornering accels, accels and decels are. Note my right and left turn peak laterals are also shifted. If I recall correctly the max left was 1.19 and right was 1.23. I do not recall which corners though. Body lean may play a part as well in the measurements using a G Tech.

Here is a picture in turn 2 looking back at turn 1.
498MKS_0247-med.JPG

So you are running faster than the world challenge race cars?

And 12 MPH faster than all the journalists driving the Ford GT?? http://www.azcentral.com/class/marketplace/cars/1010Ford-GT-ON.html