-FROG-'s 98' Viper GTS new track times 2/18/11

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try to post a video soon. Here is the info below from tonight at the drag strip. I'll mention my mods, in case folks find this post in the future doing drag race searches on here, and my mods in my sig change in the future. I'll also list other important data for folks interested in specific details, like me. I did not do a "full", smokey burnout... Only a quick high rev and then dump the clutch to spin the tires HARD and get the water off my tires.

Mods for this pass are as follows:
98' GTS with 01' "Creampuff" motor swap
A.R.T. Dyno puts my car at 455HP / 499TQ (I actually lost a few HP after installing the roller rockers. Before the after market RR's, was 461HP / 507TQ)
SVT "Race" Headers
No Cats
Side Borla mufflers (no rear mufflers)
Eibach springs & Lowering caps
Raptor shift light
Aluminum Fly wheel
A.R.T - SCT Tune (93 octane pump gas)
Harland Sharp Roller Rockers 1.7 (got these used, not brand new)
K&N filters
Smooth Tubes
BFG Drag Radials 345/35/18
Removed spare tire & Jack

Track temp - 70 degrees.
Approx 700ft elevation in San Antonio TX
Car weight, with driver included, on track scale - 3,485.
60' 1.76
1/8 - 7.39 @ 97.74
1000 ET 9.5
1/4 mile - 11.35 @ 125.00

I'm VERY Happy with this time, considering the few mods I have. I was hoping to get closer to a 10 sec pass, and feel like I could have done a little better, but I didn't get many runs in and didn'd have enough tire to do GOOD burnouts (as usual, lol)).... Other two passes were 12.1 @ 108 (eh... blew the tires off, at the launch), and 11.7 @122 (spinning hard in each gear, had to let off the gas, temp was 65 degrees at this point). This should have been a GOOD ET because it was getting cooler out car was moving FAST, but just had no traction).
Had a blast tonoght! Hope this info helps you guys out!

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not too shabby...... :2tu: stock rear gears?

say, does your track get on you (shut you down) for times under 11.5 sec or do you have a roll cage?

here @ PIR, they'll shut you down for times that low.....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not too shabby...... :2tu: stock rear gears?

say, does your track get on you (shut you down) for times under 11.5 sec or do you have a roll cage?

here @ PIR, they'll shut you down for times that low.....:rolleyes:

If I would have made another pass under 11.49, they would have kicked me off. The Tree guy wanted me to have a cage and a jacket, so yea, I should have been booted.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a great time and MPH. Serious power for a basically stock car. I really believe in those SVS headers as well, you just can't beat them for any stock to medium HP cars.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
still running stock rear gears?

what brand of dyno did you run on?

As far as I know it is still stock gears. From the looks of it, the car was once a turbo car and usually higher horsepower cars run stock gears, so it would make sense. The dyno was a Dynojet at ART in Austin, not a Mustang Dyno.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice run. How do you like the tires

Thanks, the tires are awesome for hooking up, but only last me 1 year, with weekend driving only, each time I buy them. REALLY good tire on the street but never get caught in the rain on these! If I could have done propper burnouts, I think I could have hooked ALOT harder, because one of my runs, I did have serious traction problems and was a bit worried about my safety. I like the way I can get a 345 in the BFG Drag Radials, but I may go to a 335, Nitto 555's this time around...

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the other compliments friends! Don't hesitate to ask me any other questions, I enjoy discussing 1/4 mile stuff. :)

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried the MT or the MH DRs?

No, only stock Pilots on my first Viper 94' RT and then BFG G-Force on my last 2 trips to the track in my GTS. If I go with a M/T, I would probably need to get better Half Shafts. I was worried about breaking these last night because I got wheel hop and that's when these break. First time I ever got wheel hop, but it was because I revved up too high and dumped the clutch instead of riding out on the clutch a little.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gears are hurting your potential, your car could probably pull off a 10.9xx with the right gears.

Although no point in changing them cause you have the bug and turbo's are around the corner at some point.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frog jumped and set the bar high.........

i know the et has been beaten by bolt on gts's..but not sure if any other bolt on gts has beaten the 125 mph mark..

congrats frog....very impressive

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the HP gain is from the SVS Headers. They are for race only and flow incredibly well.

I really believe in those SVS headers as well, you just can't beat them for any stock to medium HP cars.

I put down similar power SAE Dynojet with B&B Headers.(same other boltons as you minus the flywheel&RR's) What exactly is "race only" about these SVS headers???

Send me your WinPEP .drf file and i can overlay your chart onto mine to see if there is any diff besides peak power on our curves.

Also, i would like to see the diff in your curves comparing pre/post RR's. I't be more beneficial to see the whole curve to compare the entire powerband rather than just comparing the power at one RPM.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put down similar power SAE Dynojet with B&B Headers.(same other boltons as you minus the flywheel&RR's) What exactly is "race only" about these SVS headers???

Send me your WinPEP .drf file and i can overlay your chart onto mine to see if there is any diff besides peak power on our curves.

Also, i would like to see the diff in your curves comparing pre/post RR's. I't be more beneficial to see the whole curve to compare the entire powerband rather than just comparing the power at one RPM.

I don't have the Dyno chart in a software format. I'll have to scan it and post it up. As far as the headers, they basically "melt" things in the car, like the heater box... The previous owner somewhat "wrapped" them, but I can see they aren't as "ideal" as typical after market headers on a Viper. I'll try to get a few pics for ya.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the Dyno chart in a software format. I'll have to scan it and post it up. As far as the headers, they basically "melt" things in the car, like the heater box... The previous owner somewhat "wrapped" them, but I can see they aren't as "ideal" as typical after market headers on a Viper. I'll try to get a few pics for ya.

Get them ceramic coated, that will cut the heat way down. :2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Email ART. They will have all your .drf's on file and can email to you. A scan is useless IMO as you cant overlay two diff runs and zoom in on the powerband to do a detailed comparison like you can with the real file.

Some kind of coating or a heatshield is always advised with aftermarket headers to keep from cooking stuff under the hood. Your headers dont get any hotter then the other aftermarket ones.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Email ART. They will have all your .drf's on file and can email to you. A scan is useless IMO as you cant overlay two diff runs and zoom in on the powerband to do a detailed comparison like you can with the real file.

Some kind of coating or a heatshield is always advised with aftermarket headers to keep from cooking stuff under the hood. Your headers dont get any hotter then the other aftermarket ones.

I'll try to email ART, thanks. Well, it's not that they get any hotter, it's because they are larger and angled differently, displacing more heat throughout the engine area. Here is a picture of one I found on the web. The best I can explain them is, from my background working on Mustang 5.0's back in the days, they are like going from a regular After Market Header, to an "Equal Length" After Market Header, so each port is the same length, for proper scavenging of exhaust. This increases flow by maximizing the scavenging effect. I know they really aren't the same length per port, but it is more of what the design tries to follow from the looks of it.

[media]http://www.mitchellmotorsport.co.nz/Images/Viper_Headers.jpg[/media]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4