Front crank seal gone on 08

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke to Richmond Dodge here in B.C.,where I had taken my 08 for servicing,as recommended on this board.I took it in yesterday morning.As mentioned in previous posts I had an undiagnosed engine oil leak.It is my front crank seal.Disappointing on a new car.They tell me the replacement seal is on back order and don't know when it will be available.
The disconcerting part is that this dealership seems less then interested in providing the kind of customer service I would expect.I need an objective opinion as to whether I am over reacting or not.
I have a Gold plan warranty I purchased when the vehicle was new.The dealership wouldn't give me a courtesy ride home or offer me a vehicle to use.I live 25 minutes away from the dealer.They offered me a ride to the bus stop.
I expressed that I could not understand in the current state of the automotive market that they couldn't provide better customer service,especially after dropping 100K on a car.I asked to speak to the service manager,and was told that is who I was talking to.I took a 40.00 cab ride home.
The dealer hasn't called me at any point to tell me where they are at with the repairs either.
Other repairs needed:Window trim constantly detaching,seatbelt clip installed backwards,subwoofer gone after never cranking the tunes,both fog lamps replaced,install locking lug nuts and an oil/filter change.They are not set to be closing doors but don't really seem to care about much.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***!? Hearing stories like this about Dealerships is very upsetting. I'd try to find out why they're being like that. If they won't say...and I don't think they will, I'd blacklist them.

As for your car issues...another ***! All new cars have bugs to work out, but there's LOTS...ok too many IMO...threads on here about Gen 4 bugs. Probably a LOT more then there should be for Chrysler's most expensive vehicle. And I'd love to have a Gen 4...go figure.

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.At least I know now that what I am experiencing is abnormal behaviour.I will recontact the dealership and ask if they will contact Viper Specialty to order the seal.I will repost after I pick up my car tomorrow.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thats horrible. You can file the complaint with Chrysler, but you may as well go complain to the nearest Stop sign in your neighborhood. It will do just as much good. Chrysler customer service normally isn't much help. I can't believe they offered you a ride to the busstop!!! I would take the $40 cab receipt and personally deliver it to the GM of the dealership and demand reimbursement. If that doesn't work, go to the owner.

I've worked for several Mitsubishi dealerships and even on a $20k Galant, if it was under warranty, we would set the customer up in a rental car and get reimbursed by Mitsubishi Corp. if the repair was going to take more than a day, up to 5 days. If it was a case where the car wasn't drivable (or further damage could be done, such as an oil leak like you have) and the part was unavailable, we'd have to call the District Manager and get approval for the rental and then he'd pull his strings to get the part ASAP. Even if someone showed up in something like a 92' Mirage, we'd at least give them a ride home and go pick them up when we were done.

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do youself a favor,,go get your car,,put it on a trailor,,call Chuck Tator,,drive it to his shop,,,AND BAM !!! freindly,courtious attitude,fixed right the 1st time,,problems that you dont know about yet,,,BAM,,fixed :2tu:

:usa::usa::usa:

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go get your car out of there and make sure you contact the owner ! you got trated like thrash,not even a car ride home damn that dealership should been under the ones to be shut down.sorry you had to go through that.find another dealership asap.best of luck

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would imagine that you can't take it to Chuck as you are in Canada (BC) and Chuck is in the US. That Canada-US Warranty thing.

I am assuming that you bought the Viper at that dealership? If so, I would just demand (professionally) that you can speak to the owner of the dealership, at $100K+ you are very entitled to do that. In a professional manner, strongly suggest that the owner and the main Viper tech along with yourself, have a walk through on your car to talk about the specific service needs for the car and general issues as you have expressed here.

Poor dealer or not, there is not an owner out there that is not concerned with satisfaction of KEY customers and you are a key customer with your Viper purchase. 99% of the time the owners are good but they have a poor team under them. The Viper tech should be strong if they were allocated a Viper for sale and that is the bulk of your concern because it is a trust issue at this point. Yes no loaner car is a bummer but the work they do on your car is paramount.

If you still have the "heebe jeebees", than take your car out of their now and do some reasearch where else you can take it.

That is what I would do. Your car does seem to have a lot of issues though, which is a concern overall. My local Viper dealership was great, they did do absolutley great work. Too great as they were eliminated by the very company that they represented. On the cut list. Ghost town there now and I need to find out where the Viper tech went so I can follow him.

Hope it works out for you.

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I purchased my car I was living on Vancouver Island in a smaller community.I wanted to support them.They had provided me with a good experience when I purchased my SRT8 Charger and the owner had a Viper himself.I spoke to them today and asked if they would do the repair of the crank seal for me.They told me that they were hesitant because they have never done such an extensive repair on a Viper engine and did not feel their best Tech could do it properly.I guess I appreciate their honesty.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>repair of the crank seal for me.They told me that they were hesitant because they have never done such an extensive repair on a Viper engine and did not feel their best Tech could do it properly<<<
---
It is not extensive. My dealership here in Germany ordered the part over night and the next morning the seal has been exchanged.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for a tech its an easy job get your car out of there and if theres no other dealership find a good indepandent shop and get the seal and just have it done your self,dealerships like that should be on the list to be shut down!

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went first thing this morning to p.up my vehicle.Car was not ready when I arrived,even though they told me it would be at 1:30pm yesterday.It was the earliest opportunity I had to go back.
They said they had fixed the seatbelt but it was the same as when I dropped it off.Service rep came out to take another look,twisted it a few times,couldn't fix it and said they would fix it next time I came in.
Next,I asked to talk to their head Viper tech to find out if I am risking further damage to the car by driving it.They told me he had just left the premises for a break and would be back soon.
Next visit was to the G.M.,who was also the owner.I was told he was on the lot and would be right back in.I said I would wait.A few minutes later the receptionist told me he had just gone into a meeting and did not know how long it would be.I said again I would wait.Went outside had a smoke,and 10 minutes later he was free.
I spoke very professionally and eloquently about my concerns.You could see him getting more and more perturbed about what I was saying to him.Perturbed,because he totally disagreed with my point of view of customer service.He told me just because I had purchased a Viper doesn't entitle me to special treatment.***?!?I said I had an extended warranty that should've provided me with a loaner.
I mentioned that I communicate with the VCA members,and even in Germany they could get a seal overnght.Further one member had one presently in stock.Also one dissatisfied customer is too many.At that point he tried to end his meeting with me and would not shake my hand.
Back to the Viper tech.He told me I am leaking a lot of oil and am only risking further damage if I drive my car,say 1000 miles.It will be 10 business days before one arrives.
Members,I can not confidently recommend Richmond Chrysler Dodge outside Vancouver,in the Richmond Auto Mall.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take your car to an independant shop if there are no other dealers there.i would never go back there again,seems like he does not want your business even though its a warranty claim im sure you would of had them do your service there .are there any other dealerships near you?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why CHRYSLER LLC is (in) a BIG MESS today.

Many so called 5-STAR dealerships have no clue how to handle such a simple issue :crazy2:

Excellent dealerships like CHUCK TATOR get killed ...:rolleyes:

95% of the Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealerships I had to deal with in Bavaria/Germany are pure "chaos" - luckily, I found PAULI many years ago ...they care :2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a flatbed, pick up your Viper and bring it home until you find a dealer that you can trust. If there's a bad attitude at the ownership level you can bet it permeates through the rest of the dealership. It's not worth the risk to keep it there IMO.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like the beginning of a big head ache

trailer your car somewhere that will do the right thing

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My attitude towards Chrysler changed drastically when:

1. I never received a follow-up call from Chrylser Customer Service regarding an issue I had almost four years ago.
2. I was told by a service advisor at a Five Star dealership that my '05 Commemorative was an automatic.

But nonetheless, I wouldn't sacrifice the privilege of Viper ownership for nothing else in the world.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how Viable but I have seen JonB mention that Portland has an amazing dealer with top shelf Viper technicians. It is stateside but it is only about 5 hours away ...

In the midst of your frustration try to remember you catch more bees with honey vs. vinegar and the customer is always right ... except it seems when you are the customer. We are here to vent your frustrations. Hope your car is back on the road soon!

Hope this helps and sorry to hear about your trouble.

ViperGal

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read the details in your factory warranty (not your extended warranty), I believe it entitles you to a rental car. The dealership you visited is incompetent, pure and simple. They just have no idea and apparently have no competition to make them think otherwise.

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I contacted 2 alternate dealerships here in Vancouver.The first one on Marine told me they don't have the tools to service Vipers,yet I know they have sold Vipers in the past.The second dealership was receptive towards fixing my car,except I was a bit worried when service advisor said,we do not service too many of Chrysler's V-12's.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, my god!

When I had my seal leaking (see thread) SRT team contacted me. Perhaps you should contact them for help! Ask the local VCA guys for a good ViperTech in your area.

Wonder whether this is a series of bad seals...the guy who did it wrong should be kicked in the ...

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color cars does everyone have that have been having this problem? From what I can gather it seems they are all Venom Red? Since the cars were sprayed one color at a time it could help others know if they should have there's inspected.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about taking your car to a indepanent shop for this repair and just have it dont right .i have never heard of such bad service from a dealership wow.

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a Venom Red convertible.I believe it was built on Apr.25/08,but listed as a 05/08 build.I received it June7/08.Next step is to start to research independant shops who can do the repair.If I do go this route,will it have an affect on any future warranty claims?

V

Venomiss

I just sent a PM with the contact information phone/website for western Canada to you. Might be worth a call for you to make. Guessing Craig may have some ideas for you or know someone from that area who will and has had service done.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definately follow this advice. If nothing is available in BC, take it to Davenport Motorsports in Calgary.

I just sent a PM with the contact information phone/website for western Canada to you. Might be worth a call for you to make. Guessing Craig may have some ideas for you or know someone from that area who will and has had service done.

Reaction score
Please send me an Email with your VIN and current mileage. I also need your contact info and a phone number. I will try and contact SRT and see if there can be any assistance I can give you. Sorry for the way you have been treated, I guess this just further shows that the selling of the Viper by un worthy dealers with no real knowledge of the car or it's customers is not the way to keep brand loyalty high.

[email protected]